Masterlink errors

harley96

I'm about ready to kick in the front faceplate on this unit!!!!!!!! Everytime, I try to burn what's on the hard drive it either freezes up or spits out a corrupted track message or ,found no operating system, corrupted sytem files,etc..................:mad: :mad: :mad:
I then shut the unit down, when I power it up it says no operating system,I then install either 2.11 or 2.14 considering neither one of them corrects this situation but that's the only OS I have on disc then I try it all over again.The hard drive seems to record fine but when it comes to dsp,rendering images or just create cd without any dsp the unit either freezes up or corrupted track,corrupted harddrive,etc.....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Is it my harddrive?OS?Eprom?I want to figure this out considering I can't wait 9 months to get it back from alesis.Just got a new message.......CORRUPTED FAT...:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Everytime, I install the OS it formats the drive so what's the deal?
No jokes please considering the faceplate is about ready to get a boot, size 12........:mad: :mad: :mad:

Strange... I've never had any problem remotely like that at all....

But it does sound like it needs a trip to the vet.... that's no "minor" freak-out.......

But.......... all gear can break-down - it's the nature of the business... if it's a critical component, you buy "contingency gear" to get you thru the repair time, otherwise, it's merely considered "inconvenient" and you use nothing until the unit gets repaired!

For myself - I got a fourth ADAT as contingency, plus I have the option of computer recording...

If my Masterlink fails - I have my DAT... etc...

Pain in the ass -- I know......

Bruce

Bruce, next question would you send it back to alesis or would you take it to a local electronic repair facility?Considering I can record to the harddrive without a hitch but anything else forget it.I'm assuming that the harddrive has reserved areas for certain tasks and the areas that are corrupted are where the masterlink writes rendered images and it's program files while other areas of the drive are not corrupted.Would you look at swapping out the drive with a bigger one and at the same time see if this corrects these issues before sending it in to the doc?If so what are the requirements for swapping out the harddrive?Thanks,Greg

Last edited:
I beleive you no longer have a choice but to contact Alesis for warranty service - you need an RA (Return Authorization).... I beleive all the repairs are done by Advanced Musical Electronics.

As far as the hard drive upgrade - it's an excellent idea, but I'm sure Alesis won't do it for you... certainly not under warranty....

I used Skippy's instructions (--> https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=38484
) and did it myself -- worked flawlessly........

Bruce

As far as it being under warranty I'm not the original purchaser so I believe I'm screwed as far as the warranty goes.I bought it 6 months ago for $650.00 but it worked flawlessly up until a week ago.I might try a new drive and see what happens.Thanks,Greg

Just Maybe................

I decided to hit best buy on the way home and picked up a 20gb maxtor 5400rpm drive for $60.00.Man,installation was a breeze 20 minutes,fired it up and installed OS 2.14 and I have 30hrs. recording time now.I just burned my first disc with rendering and everything.No problems as of yet but I'll know in the next few days but so far so good.I felt it had to do with the hard drive from the corrupted FAT to corrupted track sounded like a hard drive issue but only time will tell........:D :D

Well, excellent news!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :cool: :D I'm convinced after 4 days this sucker is fixed.I've been burning discs without error since my harddrive upgrade.Plus,the extra space is truly a wonderful thing.........:D :cool: :D :cool:

MasterLink Died......:((((

I rececently purchased an Alesis ML-9600 MasterLink and when it first arrived I turned it on to make sure the power cam on and it did. Two weeks I pushed the power button again and NOTHING no power....man I hope I'm not screwed...I bought it from B&H Photo in New York but I live in Canada so I'm going to try and find a service center here in Canada, if not hopefully LA. Anyone else have THIS PROBLEM????????

Dave

All that needs to be said is that you should've bought it In Canada Mr Bond. Service is key if the machine isn't working, your guarantee in CANADA is nul and VOID, whatever money you saved is going to be lost in shipping.

Think about that next time......

Think again Prev.

The reason I bought the masterLink the US is I saved $500.00 Canadian because all the music stores I contacted here in Canada WON'T deal or even match pricing.

AND I found out I I can get it fixed in the USA and the warrentte will be honored.

It's really too bad canadian stores refuse to match pricing, I'd prefer to purchase locally.

to MR BOND
WHAT STORES DID YOU COMMUNICATE WITH.....
to Blue Bear Sound: I work for Intellimix in Montreal

Cool, Prev - I've dealt with you guys before... very satisfactorily, I might add!

Bond does have a point... Canadian pricing in many cases CAN be out of whack... Not saying this is true of Alesis products, but SF sometimes has their paws a bit too deep in the cookie jar.

Many times I've seen reasonably-priced US items priced WAY out of whack in Canada.

Exactly Blue Beard:
I mean how stupid do these Canadian music stores think we are?? Do they think we are going pass up MAJOR savings just to buy in Canada? If ANY business can't step up to the plate when it comes to being price competitive, they are going to wither and die. It's laughable really, I mean, I told three different music stores here in Canada I was preparing to spend in the $15000 range and they couldn't care less.
So....screw em

It isn't the stores themselves that are at fault - they are generally at the mercy of the distributors... SF Marketing, for example, is huge across Canada, and stores have no choice but to price based on what SF sells to them for.

I wanted to buy a pair of Furman balanced Transformers locally... the best the place could do was $1000 more than if I'd purchased from the States.... when the local store complained to the SF rep, supposedly the rep raised their eyebrow because they didn't realize how uncompetitive their pricing was.... but it didn't change either...

I support local retailers, even if it's "slightly" more - but when you're talking hundreds more, that's where I draw the line.

Let's be realistic - the extra money is going STRAIGHT INTO the distributor's pocket. Not to the original manufacturer, nor to the local store. Personally, I'm not paying extra to be gouged....

I agree Blue Bear Sound:
I mean of course I bought my microphone boom stands locallyand guitar pics...but that was about it. I spent more than 2 years researching what equipment I was going to buy and a third of my list wasn't even available in Canada. A few bucks yes I buy here and save the shipping. A few HUNDRED bucks...ahhhhh no....
One example:
I bought a DPS24 in the USA and saved $1500 bucks Canadian money AFTER exchange, duty, shipping and GST. The consumer today must really do his or her research these days on who is charging what. I will also agree with you that store may be at the mercy of the distributer BUT WE THE CONSUMERS...are not....

I agree with you guys in most cases, being a studio owner myself.
Blame in my opinion can only be put on the market itself.
The distributors here in canada are simply trying to make a living, $ might be hire in some cases, but one cannot forget servicing, which in most cases the distributor must pay for.

Mr Bond please let me know of other gear you are looking for and I will help you get them

Cheers
prev

Back