Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack Package

JoeyNukes

I'm a novice, like crappy teenage punk band level novice. So I'm looking for a decent loud amp that won't take me ten paychecks to buy. Is this the amp to buy?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...MG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807

I've heard nice sounds from Marshall, a trustable brand as far as I know, and I wanna get rid of all my effects and such, because to me they all either sound fake or just not my style, too heavy, too everything, ya know?

So can somebody fill me in, is it a good deal? Is it of good~ish quality? Does the crunch channel sound good for a lightly distorted punk band?

I'm a novice, like crappy teenage punk band level novice. So I'm looking for a decent loud amp that won't take me ten paychecks to buy. Is this the amp to buy?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...MG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807

I've heard nice sounds from Marshall, a trustable brand as far as I know, and I wanna get rid of all my effects and such, because to me they all either sound fake or just not my style, too heavy, too everything, ya know?

So can somebody fill me in, is it a good deal? Is it of good~ish quality? Does the crunch channel sound good for a lightly distorted punk band?

Ladies and gentlemen, the DFX hating Johnny C!!!!

*cue Johnny C*

Hey man, what's up? First off, do you REALLY need a 100 watt head and a 4 x 12 ? I'd say not. If you're playing a gig that needs 100 watts of power, they'll have a P.A system, and you could just mic up a small amp and go through that.

I gotta be honest, I think a DFX sounds just fine for alot of beginners, but it's an entry level amp. If you put 100 Watts through an entry-level circuit, it'll sound loud but not necessarily good.

For $600-700 I'd check these guys out

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC15CC1-Custom-Classic-1x12-Tube-Amp?sku=482625
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-HalfStack?sku=485059
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Amp?sku=480510

They're all tube amps. Variety of outputs, 15-40 watts. Generally, I'd associate those brands with a cleaner sound...they're the opposites of Marshall, Engl and Mesa Boogie. But crank them up, put a half-way decent stomp box in front of them and you'll get a killer tone. Wait for some other guys to post their opinions.

Yeah-you got him down T-Paul-I could almost hear the drum roll and cymbal crash after every line there!
The MG's just don't have that Marshall grind that the old stacks were famous for-they just sound cheap to my ears.......

I think that either that Vox or that Fender would blow the doors off that Marshall in both volume and quality of tones available. Both would produce great punk guitar tones at higher volumes, and IMO are perfect suggestions for a marginally larger price than what you were looking into. Don't underestimate how loud either of those amps are either, they can both peel paint off the wall when cranked!

Just for the sake of other suggestions for punk-capable amps for someone who was going to spend $600 anyways:
- Peavey Classic 30
- Peavey Valve King
- Traynor Custom Valve

Notice that these are all tube amps we're suggesting so far. Tubes aren't a necessity, especially for a beginner, but you'll be so happy a few years down the road that you've already got one :)

I have what might considered a older version of that amp. Funny, the link you posted talks about 'Marshall tone' this, and 'tone' that.

Don't be fooled... the amp is completely tone DEAF.

I hate my amp. I almost cry every time I turn the power on....

I think I should start a donation fund to get me outa this hell. Seriously, that amp sucks and you'll want to replace it very quickly. In fact, I didn't like mine the very first day I pulled it outa the box.

Granted, I still like it's sound over a Line 6 or a Blue Voodoo, only because those types of systems got something entirely different going on.... which is useless anyways.

Trust those other guys, the amp stinks.

The only thing I've found that makes my amp worth anything, is hooking up an S100 effects unit. Then saturate the hell out of it with reverb. Played at low levels.... it becomes 'ok' at best.

Okay, just so I can get a bit into this. Heres a brief background of my situation. I know nothing about amps. This will be my second amp, and my first I bought when I was 11, maybe 12, and that was off craigslist or something similar, I knew 10 watts was enough for a practice amp. I knew $50 was all I had. So I bought, ended up having it sound terrible and being on the quiet side after one straight day of 'real' playing.

So really what I'm looking for, because after reading what I typed, I think I kindof came off as the 'I wanna be a rocknroll star' kind of person.

What I'm looking for

Something that doesn't sound completley terrible.
  • Regardless if it has multiple channels, I just wanna take the clean channel and turn the drive knob up a bit and have it not sound like audible vomit, or a crunch channel that doesn't sound like I'm playing some Metallica song.
  • A decent amount of volume, not my biggest priority, but I'd like something, you know?
  • And theres probably other things other things but their not running through my mind.

What got me into the Marshalls, was this head, and I really liked the sound of the clean channel with the drive turned all the way up, but I would rather get a new amp first before I hand out a grand for just a head, and then I saw some beast looking stacks at a reasonable (as far I know) price. I really don't need 100W, I'd rather just get 50W.

And I realize I'm rambling. But I'm tired. So if anyone can make some sense and suggestions from this post, please alert me, and I'll everyone in the morning/tomorrow.

Okay, just so I can get a bit into this. Heres a brief background of my situation. I know nothing about amps. This will be my second amp, and my first I bought when I was 11, maybe 12, and that was off craigslist or something similar, I knew 10 watts was enough for a practice amp. I knew $50 was all I had. So I bought, ended up having it sound terrible and being on the quiet side after one straight day of 'real' playing.

So really what I'm looking for, because after reading what I typed, I think I kindof came off as the 'I wanna be a rocknroll star' kind of person.

What I'm looking for

Something that doesn't sound completley terrible.
  • Regardless if it has multiple channels, I just wanna take the clean channel and turn the drive knob up a bit and have it not sound like audible vomit, or a crunch channel that doesn't sound like I'm playing some Metallica song.
  • A decent amount of volume, not my biggest priority, but I'd like something, you know?
  • And theres probably other things other things but their not running through my mind.

What got me into the Marshalls, was this head, and I really liked the sound of the clean channel with the drive turned all the way up, but I would rather get a new amp first before I hand out a grand for just a head, and then I saw some beast looking stacks at a reasonable (as far I know) price. I really don't need 100W, I'd rather just get 50W.

And I realize I'm rambling. But I'm tired. So if anyone can make some sense and suggestions from this post, please alert me, and I'll everyone in the morning/tomorrow.

Get a peavey valveking, and a cheap cab. All can be had for around 700 and you'll have genuine tubes and some decent tone to start with. You'll get into learning to take care of tube amps and your tone will be much better off than with an mg marshall.

marshall

i gig a lot w/ 2 50w mg's ....... i get great tone ..... the only fx i use is a cry baby . i set the od a little less than half ... add a little reverb .... tone is at 9 o clock .. bass and mid are straight up ...... i play a les paul and a strat ... and realy love my tone ... there is nothing i would change about my set up ..... it is simple to set up/tear down .... i play classic rock,blues, and newer rock .......

That combo package is a pile.

The other guitarist in my band uses it and it just doesn't sound good, period. Its cheap as dirt, but it doesn't sound good. The cabinet itself isn't bad, I actually own one of those. However, I use the ValveKing 100 watt head right now with that -- I couldn't ask for more. Only outboard effect I use is a Crybaby.

I got the cabinet itself for $300 and the VK100 for $420. Not bad, especially for some good, giggable tone.

That combo package is a pile.

The other guitarist in my band uses it and it just doesn't sound good, period. Its cheap as dirt, but it doesn't sound good. The cabinet itself isn't bad, I actually own one of those. However, I use the ValveKing 100 watt head right now with that -- I couldn't ask for more. Only outboard effect I use is a Crybaby.

I got the cabinet itself for $300 and the VK100 for $420. Not bad, especially for some good, giggable tone.

Thank you, this is what I'm talking about. Not to mention I've had two friends use these MG heads and both had problems with either the volume dropping out or getting very low during extended periods of play. Not that things like that can't happen to a good tube amp(I've witnessed a Vox going up in smoke and my Mesa bit the dust once)but I'd take the tone over solidstate any day.

No matter what you do, go tube. My first amp was a solid state practice amp. I hated it. I went out and bought an all-tube Peavey Ultra 410 combo as soon as I could afford it. I have kept with the tube tradition since then. I did, however, buy a Line 6 Vetta II combo...and then I sold it.

1 word: JCM401 combo on eBay goes for 4-500$.

Okay, that was more than one.

Also, I picked up my Peavey Classic 50 brand new for only $500.

Crate Palominos, Peavey Classics, used Marshalls JCMs, etc. The list goes on. You don't need a halfstack, and you don't have to be stuck with a solid state.

1 word: JCM401 combo on eBay goes for 4-500$.

Okay, that was more than one.

Also, I picked up my Peavey Classic 50 brand new for only $500.

Crate Palominos, Peavey Classics, used Marshalls JCMs, etc. The list goes on. You don't need a halfstack, and you don't have to be stuck with a solid state.

You're right, combos work just fine for most people. Yeah it's more rock star to have a half stack but there's plenty of volume to be had with a single 12" combo.

To me, combos make me feel more "rockstar" than half stacks. I guess I'm just a minimalist.

In the end, you're playing shows with a bunch of other bands that think they need half stacks, and it's funny to see someone with an amp half the size blow everything else out of the water with tone.

i agree with most of the people here that the MG's somewhat suck...but that being said, you can make it work for you if you have to

i've had to record these things a couple of times, and every time i was able to get a usable tone, which is more than what i can say for some other amps i've had to mic up(peavey valveking included). in my dealings with MG100, here's what you'll want to try:

a)the gain in these amps turns to shit when it's pushed really hard, so don't be diming out either the preamp gain or master. you're better off with each being up about 2/3 of the way, max. if you need more gain or volume beyond this, find some sort of overdrive to stick in front of it or in the effects loop.

b)watch out for the contour knob...this thing will bury you. turn it up all the way, and you have mud. worse than mud...it's more like a peat bog or something. turn the contour down too much, and you have thin, brittle, harsh shit for tone. go for somewhere in the neighborhood of 11-1 o'clock...maybe 10-2, depending on what you're going for and how you have the EQ curve set.

again...the MG's aren't super amps, but i think that they beat what crate/behringer/line 6 and most others offer in the same price range. along with those, i've heard that the peavey windsor heads are pretty nice as well, and those can be had for $650 for a 1/2 stack.

Back