Manslick says YES to harvesters

I'm having trouble following this "harvesters & drive-bys" series that's going on here. What's the theme?

Anyway, the song seemed pretty decent. I liked the panning on the toms.
The clap (I think?) that starts during the 3rd verse is pretty bad though. Can you get a better sample?

I'm having trouble following this "harvesters & drive-bys" series that's going on here. What's the theme?

Anyway, the song seemed pretty decent. I liked the panning on the toms.
The clap (I think?) that starts during the 3rd verse is pretty bad though. Can you get a better sample?

Dobro started a thread https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mp3-mixing-clinic/harvesters-drive-bys-359185/. Then heatmeister robgreen and fat_fleet joined the party, so I jumped in since I had this tune lying around decomposing, and I am an attention whore of the worse kind.
Yeah the claps, they kind of startled me the other day after not hearing this for years.
I’ve retracked the bass and added some more harmonies and worked on the mix a little bit. I’ll see what happens this week and update the file.

Thanks for commenting.

Finally got chance to give this a listen - love the melody manslick, that Nascar line is a great hook. I'm not crazy about elements of the mix though - the guitars sound like they've been high-passed (to make room for the bass maybe?) and as a result they're thin and there's a big gap in the meaty section of the mix. I'm not keen on the very quantized electric drum sound either. If you addressed these, they'd make a big difference for me.

I get the sense you're a bit ambivalent about this song, but I think you could make it really good with some more work. Lead vocals and harmonies are great throughout :D

I thought it was great, really enjoyed it. Ray Davies/Kinks sounding. You could lower the HPF on one guitar maybe to fill it out, but sounds fine as it is too.

Pete

Wow, are you still on about that? That was...what?...five years ago? I think you must inhabit a very small universe. But I'll forgive you if you write a good song some time. :p

LOL, 5 years ago...this place kills time REAL fast. Must be because we're inhabiting such a small universe.

I like this manslick. I don't mind that the theme of whatever it was is still going because it's produced some excellent tunes, this being one of them. I like how everyone on here sings about cool stuff. Great melody, funny lyrics, like it. :)

Last edited:
Back