Mandolin...MSH-1's

Here's a short clip of my new Mandolin using the MSH-1 mic's. The mandolin is a stereo track panned left and right at 20. The nylon string acoustic guitar is two different tracks panned hard left and hard right.
The left guitar is the mic that was pointed at the fretboard of one stereo track take and the right guitar was the mic that was pointing at the body behind the saddle from shoulder height of a different stereo track take.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10753

Gorty,

a) on shitty speakers, sounds fantastic

b) with this short clip, I just had a plethora of musical ideas that I hope would not offend:

I listen to this and I think of bands like Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphy's. This celtic (not calling it celtic), epic, dirty punk thing jumps into my head.

The mandolin intro plays and suddenly this huge drum toms fill/kick stomp heavy punk march beat kicks with huge thick guitars and a wailing guitar lick set it off.

It would be Australias answer to the whole Celtic punk movement.

The idea stems from a combination of Drop Kick Murphy's "Dirty Glass" and "Last Letter Home". Both awesome songs if youre into that kind of music.

Very epic man. Sorry, I just went off on a tangent. :D

This would be the perfect intro to a great song like that. In fact, if I was ever in a position to do so (you never know), I'd pay you to play this exact intro after the rest of the song is written around it. I could easily write the entire song off of this intro. Very "Aussie mandolin meets American punk" :D

:cool: Great sound you've captured there Gorty.
Be nice to hear more of that, but then I love the sound of Mandolins anyway and will definitely buy one when I can, for a nice different feel to some of my tracks.
dreamer7
------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/gardenofsurrealdreams
THE ETERNAL LIGHT OF WILL – my very humble tribute to Bill Nelson. For your ears only, on Soundclick now.

Hey Gorty, I recognize that song and it still sounds great! The mandolin has a nice lute sound as counterpoint to the classical guitar-it sounds like a piece of baroque style music.

Attachments

• LutePlayer-1.jpg
    LutePlayer-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 23
Hey Gorty, don't tell Dogman this, but I smuggled the lava lamp out successfully. It is currently in the mail on the way to you. If it doesn't make it, then it is THE MAIL's fault :D
This sounds great r00, crisp clear and the playing is spot on. It's gotta be the shortest clip I've ever heard on here though :p Cheers, keep that mandolin action up... sounding good! I tried playing Dogman's mandolin and that didn't happen :D Maybe a mandolin with a wah wah pedal eh?

You should check out some of the stuff Sam Bush does with a mandolin--I saw him last year in concert and he played slide on a resonator mandolin, through a Marshall amp as well!!!:eek:

Attachments

• Sam Bush reso mando.jpg
    Sam Bush reso mando.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 20
You should check out some of the stuff Sam Bush does with a mandolin--I saw him last year in concert and he played slide on a resonator mandolin, through a Marshall amp as well!!!:eek:

I saw Sam Bush this summer and he was amazing. I really like this piece as well. I hope you finish it up because it is a great start.

Very nice sound... My 7 yr old says it's too short, but he really likes it. :)

Cheers,

Thanx Chili, it was just a sample of the whole tune I'm working on. :)

Gorty,
on shitty speakers, sounds fantastic

The mandolin intro plays and suddenly this huge drum toms fill/kick stomp heavy punk march beat kicks with huge thick guitars and a wailing guitar lick set it off.

This would be the perfect intro to a great song like that. In fact, if I was ever in a position to do so (you never know), I'd pay you to play this exact intro after the rest of the song is written around it. I could easily write the entire song off of this intro. Very "Aussie mandolin meets American punk" :D

Believe it or not, I have been trying something similar with this tune...so far I'm still tracking the mandolin and nylon string guitar parts....whilst struggling to come up with the particular drums I have in my head. I'll keep ya posted. :)

:cool: Great sound you've captured there Gorty.
Be nice to hear more of that, but then I love the sound of Mandolins anyway and will definitely buy one when I can, for a nice different feel to some of my tracks.

Thanx dreamer7. The mandolin is a nifty little instrument that I plan to use to add embellishments here and there also.

Hey Gorty, I recognize that song and it still sounds great! The mandolin has a nice lute sound as counterpoint to the classical guitar-it sounds like a piece of baroque style music.

Thanx Anfontan!

I saw Sam Bush this summer and he was amazing. I really like this piece as well. I hope you finish it up because it is a great start.

I'll post up the final rendition when I get to track what I hear in my head with this tune! :)

Back