M-Audio AudioBuddy or ART Tube MP ?

mr.rudy

I want to start a little digital audio workstation (I love the term:)) and I don't know which preamp will be the most suitable for me. Since I have an M-Audio soundcard (24/96), I thought that M-Audio AudioBuddy could somehow work with my soundcard "better" (or not?). On the other hand there's ART Tube MP for a similar price which was recommended to me for a start. Any help ?

hmm....dmp3 is twice as expensive as audiobuddy or tube mp (at least in Poland). I don't think I need anything fancy and one of these two should be enough for me. Could you suggest which one?

go with the art, and swap out that tube for a jj

it wont be anything to write home about, but it's a decent starter

what is a jj ?

a jj branded 12ax7 tube. i have them in my mpa gold preamp and wow.

now granted, the art tube mp wont sound as good as other high-dollar tube preamps out there, but many have been able to get a decent tone out of it.
if you dont want to pay the extra $15 or so to put a new tube in it, just go with the audiobuddy or check out the m-audio dmp3

I have an audio buddy. It works pretty well for "live" performance work where small details in the sound are not important. For recording purposes, however, the audio buddy injects artifacts into the sound that I find undesirable. I do use it, on occasion, for "rough" recordings, but not for recordings intended for a critical audience.

Either one will be fine (I have both). The Audiobuddy has two channels versus one for the Tube MP. MP has both XLR (balanced) and 1/4"TS inputs and outputs - the Audiobuddy has only 1/4" outputs (balanced or unbalanced), but has high impedance 1/4" inputs (for guitar/bass) and low impedance XLR mic inputs. Tube MP has both input and output gain controls and phase reversal.

In any case, they'll both work fine with your soundcard.

I used to have both units and out of the two I'd definitely go with the Audio Buddy. I liked the sound of the Buddy much more than the MP and the Audio Buddy is two channels making it an even better choice. With the Audiophile 24/96 you can record two channels at a time so the Audio Buddy would work perfectly for you if you wanted to record stereo. The Audio Buddy works great as a DI for bass guitar too.

you're going to get a decent sound out of both, it is just all in preference (whether you want a "tube" tone or not). i have had great luck with the tube mp after putting the jj in there as i told you. it was great for vox and warmed up guitar tones

thanks to all of you for the help i've got so far. the names of both preamps suggest that they are designed for microphones. will i be able to connect electric guitar and bass directly to them without damaging the preamp, soundcard or whatever...? if yes, which one will do better?

The Audio Buddy has both xlr and quarter inch inputs and I'm trying to remember but I think the MP has a quarter inch as well as the xlr. I like the Audio Buddy as a bass di and it'll also work well with guitar. The MP works pretty well as a di as well but all in all I'm more of a fan of the Audio Buddy especially given it's a two channel unit unlike the MP.

what is the advantage of having two channels? does it allow one to record 2 instruments simultaneously ? if yes, one channel will be enough for me since i'm gonna record everything myself. or maybe 2 channels provide something more than that?

what is the advantage of having two channels? does it allow one to record 2 instruments simultaneously ? if yes, one channel will be enough for me since i'm gonna record everything myself. or maybe 2 channels provide something more than that?
Yes, two channels allows you to record two inputs, such as two mics, a mic and an instrument, or two instruments, simultaneously.This is an advantage for folks who sing and play at the same time - they can record each on a separate channel and have subsequent independent control when mixing.

And yes, the Tube MP has a 1/4" input for instruments such as electric bass or guitar.

Back