Looking for mic and preamp for vocals

mmm well i haven't bought anything yet as i haven't gotten a chance. I just want to know everyone elses thoughts on the rode ntk set up. I'm still leaning towards the Sm7b with the speck but i would like to know if the rode ntk with the mindprint envoice pre would would suit my needs better?

The SM7b is a really great mic as well. I use it with my grace 101 usually.

I don't know much about the speck mic pre..

But the sm7 is a really warm and some would even say it's slightly dirty. I would say warm, not the later though. I use it with the grace 101 because the grace is a really really clean pre and it almost balances out the warmth really well. Or at least, it certainly doesn't make it any warmer really.

I don't really know what the speck is like tonality wise, but if you are considering the sm7b, you may want to consider what type of sound you want to go for..

Every one is recommending a lot of pre's. And from what I've read or know personally about the pre's is that they're all great. But make sure that these pre's and mics you're checking out, are best suited for what YOU want to do. If you want a great vocal mic, SM7 = yum. If you want a versatile but still really good vocal mic, you may want to go back to your AT that you were originally thinking about.

For the most part, all (and I really mean all) mics, and all (and I still really mean all) preamps can be great, but make sure that their sound qualities and characteristics match what you're going for.

Hope this helps.

oh by the way. I don't know if anyone answered your question. But yes, you can still run any of the pre's into your mackie still. Do so by doing line in though. Using no gain (on the mackie)

Ok thanks for the reply... I find my cad m-179 to be a clean mic. I record a lot of rock, hard rock and metal. If the sm7b sounds a little dirty i'm thinking this could be the mic for me. I also record the occasional rapper and female artist so i was thinking if the sm7b doesnt work for these types of voices i can always go to my cad m179.

As for pres i'm not sure, i'm debating between the speck and the grace but i'm leaning more towards the speck.

So i don't have to run the pre direct to the motu than, if i use no gain on my board its like bypassing the boards preamp?

Well i've decided on the mic, it's going to be the shure sm7b. I'm still deciding between the speck pre and the grace 101.

you have a couple options. You can run it in the line in on the mackie and use 0 gain. Or split the balanced output on the pre and run one line to the board, and another to the motu.. that may be the cleanest path to your computer that way and allows you some flexibility in monitoring.

K thanks thats exactly what i was thinking of doing. I figured it would be the cleanest way... now to decide on a pre amp

Back