Looking for mic and preamp for vocals

guitarmagic

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new mic for vocals. Right now i use my cad m179 into my mackie 24/8 than into my motu 24i. I've been pleased with the results but i still think it could sound a little smoother and warmer. I record a lot of different styles so it would have to be pretty versitile. I work with heavy rock/ metal bands, also i record the occasional rapper/hip hop artist and also some female vocals. I know the mic won't sound good on every source.

I'm also looking for a preamp so i can plug it in directly into the motu. Something that's obviously better than the mackie.

I've been looking at the rode ntk. What are your thoughts on this mic and is there something better. I heard that a tube mic would give me better results. Is this true?

I have a budget of about 1000$ for both. I'm willing to save up more and go a little higher if necessary but i would like to stay within the budget if possible.

Thanks.

I have an Audio-Technica 4033 and the singers I record love it. Not harsh, not sizzly, just natural, rich sound. I also have a RODE NT1000, which is a bit brighter and doesn't work on as many voices as the AT.

Of course, either needs a decent room to be recorded in.

For pres I have an ART and a Grace. Both are uncolored. Maybe some day I'll get a preamp with more color, but I really prefer to get color through mic technique.

thanks for the replies. I've heard good things about the grace 101. I'll definatly consider it. I will also check out the at4033.

any other suggestions are welcome. thanks.

I've been reading some reviews and the ones i've read about the grace 101 seem fairly good. Looks like a very transparent preamp.

However the reviews on the at4033 are good for the most part but theres quite a few that aren't very possitive. Should i be worried about these reviews? or should i ignore them? The mic looks good though i'm strongly thinking about this set up.

I have a question though for monitering when using a preamp. I still want to moniter using my mackie because it will give me more control and there will be no latency issues. Can i use the two ouputs(xlr and 1/4" trs) at the same time so i can put one of the outputs to my board and the other one direct to the motu. If i can't do this will i have to split the signal somehow?

Thanks.

I've got two AT4033s - they're great and versatile mics, but I think they're more general purpose than, say, the AT 4040 or AT 4050 - those two have a larger diaphragm, I think (not sure about that). I don't have either of them.

Also be sure to check out the Shure SM7b (it's a dynamic, and very different from all those condensers, which could be an issue for you, but maybe not) - that one's a favorite around here, and I like mine better for most vocals than the 4033.

thanks for the replies. I've heard good things about the grace 101. I'll definatly consider it. I will also check out the at4033.

any other suggestions are welcome. thanks.

For preamps, I would also research the Sebatron vmp1000e, the Speck Mic Pre 5.0. and the True P-Solo. I have a Sebatron, and it works great with all my mics, dynamics, FET condensers, and my tube condenser. Very versatile. The Speck, by all acounts, is a great pre, and the P-Solo seems to be earning a fine rep as well. Toft has a preamp/eq unit in that price range that may be a contender.

Hey thanks for the other suggestions. I've been looking at the sm7b and it looks like a great mic. Very good reviews and not expensive at all. The mic is dynamic though does it sound as good as a condensor on vocals?

I will also start researching those other preamps.

Thanks for all the replies i really appreciate it.

The mic is dynamic though does it sound as good as a condensor on vocals?

It is just different... and many times it is better than a condensor depending on the situation.

As for pres... perhaps a GR ME-1NV, UA Solo 110, or the Chameleon Labs 7602... they are all decent transformer based solid state designs at reasonablish price points.

K well since i already have the cad m-179 i'm strongly considering the shure sm7b. For that price i don't really mind i can probably buy another condensor later on if i'm not completely satisfied but i doubt that'll be the case. I also like that a lot of reviews say its good for rock vocals and spoken voice. I also read some reviews that said it does well on female vocals too. So i shouldn't be dissapointed. The mic looks like the mic that bob rock used on hedfields voice in there dvd some kind of monster. so that's always a good sign lol.

I also like the features on the speck mic pre 5.0. What do you guys think on this set up... the sm7b and the speck mic pre 5.0? I also would probably record bass through the pre and maybe put snare or something else through it. If someone disagrees with this please let me know so i can make a better choice. Thanks for all the help.

K well since i already have the cad m-179 i'm strongly considering the shure sm7b. For that price i don't really mind i can probably buy another condensor later on if i'm not completely satisfied but i doubt that'll be the case. I also like that a lot of reviews say its good for rock vocals and spoken voice. I also read some reviews that said it does well on female vocals too. So i shouldn't be dissapointed. The mic looks like the mic that bob rock used on hedfields voice in there dvd some kind of monster. so that's always a good sign lol.

I also like the features on the speck mic pre 5.0. What do you guys think on this set up... the sm7b and the speck mic pre 5.0? I also would probably record bass through the pre and maybe put snare or something else through it. If someone disagrees with this please let me know so i can make a better choice. Thanks for all the help.

Nice......

Ok Thanks for the help so its decided. Tomorow i'll probably start shopping around at local stores for the speck micpre 5.0 and a shure sm7b. Thanks for all the help.

just a thought

Ok Thanks for the help so its decided. Tomorow i'll probably start shopping around at local stores for the speck micpre 5.0 and a shure sm7b. Thanks for all the help.

if i were you i would by the mic first, see what it sounds like thru your Mackie. Who knows....you might like it.

Don't buy a preamp just because you want to buy a preamp, buy one cause your new sm7b just doesn't sound as good as the one you heard online.
you might find more use running a compressor thru the insert of the Mackie.
Then you can have a full channel strip (pre,eq,comp) for your vocal chain.

just a thought.......:D

I was accualy thinking about that but i know that the mics could sound better. Even the mics i have now could sound better. I also would like a pre amp for more versatility and for d.i bass. The bass sounds a little muddy through the mackie right now and it annoys me. I will probably end up getting the mic first anyways but the pre amp is still going to come.

Also another thing that pisses me off is that i tend to lose channels randomly on the mackie. I've changed the ribbon cables many times and had someone check it but it's still unpredictable.

I'll see how the mic sounds and than add the pre amp. I also probably won't be able to afford both at the same time anyways.

I rarely use the e.q on the mackie it doesnt usually get the sound i'm going for when tracking. I also usually don't compress when i'm tracking but it is a thought.

Last edited:
im not sure if u meant if u had a $1000 budget total or $2000 budget total

The speck mic pre soudns great. u can hear it at thelisteningsessions.com

it sounds good and i plan to buy one later this year

I have a 1000$ budget for both. I'm willing to go a little higher. Since the sm7b is about 350$ i'm able to go with the speck which is 850$ if i'm not mistaken. I just want a little more choices and versatility. I'm going to go check them out when i can because i couldn't go today cuz up here in canada it did some freezing rain lol.

I have a 1000$ budget for both. I'm willing to go a little higher. Since the sm7b is about 350$ i'm able to go with the speck which is 850$ if i'm not mistaken. I just want a little more choices and versatility. I'm going to go check them out when i can because i couldn't go today cuz up here in canada it did some freezing rain lol.

The Speck should be around $750-$775. Mercenary also sells the SM57 with the TAB-Funkenwerk transformer for $185 (they say it sounds close to an SM-7). There, your in for under a grand.

For $1000, I would go with the Rode NTK, and a Mindprint Envoice mic pre. If you buy right (i.e. used), you might even come away with a few dollars left over. I've used the NTK for years, now, and it seems to suit almost any male voice very well. Admittedly, I've never used it on a female voice. Also, for the money, I really like the Envoice preamp on vox. It's a nice German piece that doesn't get the attention it deserves IMO. This combo makes for a great vox front end, especially for a DAW. You can also use the Envoice for processing during the mix, as it has decent eq, compression and tube saturation.

Back