Looking for a new LDC to compliment my GT55

Giganova said:
Would eq-ing achive the same results with a not-so-bright mic?

Well . . . yea, but that just seems way too complicated for most of the guys here. :D :D I mean, you don't want anyone's head to explode, do you? :D

I honestly don't think a DMP3 (while it is nice) would be that much of an upgrade over your 896 pres. I may be wrong of course.

I have the NTK and the NT1000. Both have a lot of "air" to them and no, I don't think you can do the same thing by just eq-ing them. Maybe if you've got some really good equipment, but if you can afford that kind of rack you probably won't be looking at $300 mics. The NTK sounds a lot like the NT1000 but has more "body" to my ears. I think both can be used on the same sources. The NTK is just a little bit bolder. I found a place on the net that sold them for $386 and GC matched it. That's a lot of mic for under $400 IMO.

Blessings, Terry

Great feedback from everyone! I'm strongly leaning towards the NTK, and I'm definitely going to check it out tomorrow when I hit up the new GC that they just opened in lawrencville (third location around atlanta, sweet?) Supposedly there are some killer sales going on. Any suggestions on how to audition this mic against the nt1000 and perhaps other mics? Should I just bring a nice pair of headphones and sing?

Back