Looking for a new LDC to compliment my GT55

thispleasesme

Hey everyone.. I'm starting to beef up my mic collection (which at this point is very minimal...)

> SM57
> SM58 Beta A
> Groove Tubes GT-55 LDC
> Pair of Oktava MK-012 SDC

I've decided to start with a new LDC to add to my locker considering that vocals is something I tend to struggle with. My studio is used for my band mostly but I do a lot of projects with other groups. Most singers LOVE my GT-55. It's dark, warm, nice mic over all. It doesn't do my voice well though. My voice is a bit more dark on its own I suppose and more midrange with quite a bit of falsetto. I want a mic that will brighten it up, smooth out the highs, and let break through a bit more. Any suggestions?

If you feel that it's silly to get a new LDC over a new pair of SDCs or perhaps a magic dynamic, share with me. I'm open.

The budget is set at $500 USD

Thanks a lot!

The GT-55 is coloured and so-called "dark". I'd go with something neutral and clean then - Shure KSM32, Rode NT1000 (or 2000) - something along those lines. Incidently, how are you finding the GT55 - tis good?

For cheaper than either of those you can get a Studio Projects C1, which is definitely not a "dark" mic. Then you can spend the remaining $300 on one of those large diaphragm dynamics you're so woefully short of ;)

BTW, Cano, he said he wants a mic that'll help his voice "break through"; which doesn't suggest a neutral mic to me.

I guess instead of neutral I meant "clean" - but neither of those are neutral, they're both quite bright as far as I know. However, I am stupid.

I have the NT1000 and the KSM32. While I suppose you could say they are both clean sounding, they don't sound anything alike. The NT1000 as a lot more air than the KSM32.

Blessings, Terry

thispleasesme said:
I've been looking at the BLUE baby bottle. I've heard this one is pretty neutral and clean. Any thoughts?

Ooh ooh ooh. Pick me, pick me

(Holding up comedically large Cox's megaphone)

YOU DON'T HAVE ANY LARGE DIAPHRAGM DYNAMICS

And for lead vocals you don't really want a clean and neutral mic. Especially not in a busy mix.

Normally, I'd agree with Mark7.

But you did mention that you're looking for something brighter / more articulate that can cut through a mix a little more. In that event, I think you might be happier with one of the brighter condensers. Besides, Beta 58's actually aren't too shabby.

As far as the typical "bright Chinese-capsule condenser" goes, I don't think there's many that are worth a shit. Except for maybe the Studio Projects T3. ADK also make some good ones. The Rode NTK is pretty worthwhile.

If you don't mind shelling out a little extra $$, then you'd probably be pretty much blown away by something like the Blue Dragonfly (you might be able to snag one for $600 used). You'd probably piss your pants. :D It's a really nice mic -- bright, slick, and works exceptionally well on midrangy voices. You should go check one out. On the right voice it can be magic.

If I could find a dragonfly I'd really love that. Again, does anyone have any thoughts on the Baby Bottle?

Thanks for the comments about large diaphragm dynamics. I'm sure they're very useful, but I doubt they are what I'm looking for right now. Like I said, I'm looking to <b>START</b> with upgrading to another LDC. I haven't even gotten to SDC let alone Dynamics. I'll keep your suggestions in mind though :)

thispleasesme said:
Again, does anyone have any thoughts on the Baby Bottle?

What goes in is pretty much what goes out. It's probably won't add a whole lot of sizzle or zing to help you cut through a mix better, if that's what you're wondering. Maybe just a tad, but probably not to the extent you're looking for.

Thanks Chessrock, I'll be removing that one from my list :)

I'm going to look at the KSM32 and the NT1000 I think. Any suggestions as to how I can audition these at guitar center? Just plug them in and sing with headphones? Is there a better way to do this to really exploit the differences in the mics?

Found another very attractive option, the Rode NTK. I'm listening to some clips and it sounds damn impressive. Thoughts?

Another thing I probably should have mentioned.. I'm using the pre's on my MOTU 896HD interface. Do you think it's a waste to invest in another mic before getting a nicer pre?

If so, what would you recommend in the $300 range?

thispleasesme said:
I'm going to look at the KSM32 and the NT1000

The ksm-32 would be more of the same. What goes in is basically what comes out kind of thing.

As I mentioned previously, the Rode mics have a noticeable high-frequency boost that you might like. It will make your voice sound like it's got fairy dust on it. :D That might be just what you're looking for.

Fairy Dust huh? Sounds perfect :) I'm going to have a serious look at the NTK and the NT1000 tomorrow. Thanks a lot everyone. Any more thoughts on pre-amps and such?

Don't leave out Audio Technica, 4033, 4047 or even 3035. I also have the NTK. Very Nice. I have the groove tube twins 1B (FET and TUBE) Both great on vox

I have an NTK, which I love...sounds great on almost everything I've pointed it at...except my own voice (go figure), luckily recording myself isn't a huge priority. If you're considering it seriously I would say definitely audition it at GC to make sure you like it on your voice, although that would probably be a good thing to do with any mic that you're considering.

The NTK does do the bright thing pretty well, not a real "tubey" tube mic if you ask me but it's good on some things.

The KSM32 isn't a bad choice, although I don't reach for mine very often on voice.

The Rode NT2000 is a nice bright mic, I cut vocals with it recently and it won on the "cuts through wall of guitar" type mix. The mic is versatile too with selectable pads, low end filters and pattern.

War

chessrock said:
... the Rode mics have a noticeable high-frequency boost that you might like. It will make your voice sound like it's got fairy dust on it. :D That might be just what you're looking for.
Would eq-ing achive the same results with a not-so-bright mic?

Okay, thanks to everyone that has responded thus far.

Seems to me that Rode is probably the way to go, whether it be the NTK or perhaps the NT1000.

I'm sort of thinking of looking at some of the less expensive LDC and focusing on upgrading my pre's. I've been looking at a few budget pre's such as the M-Audio MDP3 (i think that's the model) as well as the ART Tube MP V3 or whatever the higher end ART is.

Any thoughts? Am I better off going with a higher end mic in the 500 dollar range (such as the NTK) and sticking with my existing pre's (MOTU 896HD) or going with a less expensive mic (such as a MXL Mogami Tube) and spending some more on a new pre?

Back