Lol @ fat, white, middle aged weekend bikers

Many of those dry Texas towns/counties are very German. Lots of German culture out there mixed in with wild west. I don't get why they'd wanna be dry besides just keeping dumb people away.

Most of the Germans that settled in the US were Lutherans, not a big jump from there to Baptists. Baptists are very strict against drinking alcohol and dancing.

Baylor is a Baptist University and would speculate in a dry county.

Many of those dry Texas towns/counties are very German. Lots of German culture out there mixed in with wild west. I don't get why they'd wanna be dry besides just keeping dumb people away.
Most Germans love their beer. Like DM60 pointed out - it's got to be a Religious thing. :D

Most of the Germans that settled in the US were Lutherans, not a big jump from there to Baptists. Baptists are very strict against drinking alcohol and dancing.

Baylor is a Baptist University and would speculate in a dry county.

That might be the reason. I personally don't think it's religion though. I think it's wanting to keep certain people away. New Braunfels is German, they drink like crazy over there. Waco is not dry though. And I don't think Baylor is in a dry county.

That might be the reason. I personally don't think it's religion though. I think it's wanting to keep certain people away. New Braunfels is German, they drink like crazy over there. Waco is not dry though. And I don't think Baylor is in a dry county.

Since I did little more than drive through Waco, not sure if they use to be dry or not, but many counties now have the concept of moist (very popular here in Kentucky). Where they won't allow selling of alcohol at stores, but allow it in restaurants.

Since I did little more than drive through Waco, not sure if they use to be dry or not, but many counties now have the concept of moist (very popular here in Kentucky). Where they won't allow selling of alcohol at stores, but allow it in restaurants.

Besides totally dry counties, the only weird alcohol laws around here that I know of are sunday Blue Laws. Retail liquor sales are prohibited on sundays, liquor stores are closed on sundays, and you can't buy beer or wine before noon. I remember in my younger says we would race to the stores before midnight on saturday so we'd have enough drink to last us until noon on sunday because sales would stop.

---------- Update ----------

I always wanted to meet a moist Texan.

We're all moist between april and november. It's hot down here.

Besides totally dry counties, the only weird alcohol laws around here that I know of are sunday Blue Laws. Retail liquor sales are prohibited on sundays, liquor stores are closed on sundays, and you can't buy beer or wine before noon. I remember in my younger says we would race to the stores before midnight on saturday so we'd have enough drink to last us until noon on sunday because sales would stop.

Kind of funny you bring that up. Used to be, on Sundays (Blue Laws), you could buy nails, but not a hammer (or vice versa), a few other things that you couldn't buy. Basically, Sunday was a day of rest. I don't remember all of the rules and I am sure they have changed a lot over the years.

But yes, I remember statewide, the stores that sold beer and wine had to rope off those aisles until noon. It was just a way of life.

Kind of funny you bring that up. Used to be, on Sundays (Blue Laws), you could buy nails, but not a hammer (or vice versa), a few other things that you couldn't buy. Basically, Sunday was a day of rest. I don't remember all of the rules and I am sure they have changed a lot over the years.

But yes, I remember statewide, the stores that sold beer and wine had to rope off those aisles until noon. It was just a way of life.

Sundays have different hours here, too. Used to be that shops weren't allowed to sell booze until 10am on a Sunday, which was annoying when we were students and had been up partying all Saturday night and wanted to stock up on booze - we'd always forget and roll up to the shop at 8am when they open, then have to wait another 2 hours. Where I lived in London, though, there were always several shops open 24 hours that would sell you booze any time - I don't know if they were allowed to do that, but I never complained.

Sundays have different hours here, too. Used to be that shops weren't allowed to sell booze until 10am on a Sunday, which was annoying when we were students and had been up partying all Saturday night and wanted to stock up on booze - we'd always forget and roll up to the shop at 8am when they open, then have to wait another 2 hours. Where I lived in London, though, there were always several shops open 24 hours that would sell you booze any time - I don't know if they were allowed to do that, but I never complained.

When I lived in Germany, they were very strict with Sunday laws. For example, companies could not work on Sunday unless they had special permission and proved it was essential to operations. You couldn't wash your car on Sunday, the neighbors could call the police on you for "disturbing their rest".

Sundays in Germany were very quiet to say the least. Since there was not much to do, after family lunch, everyone would go for a walk, then cake and coffee (around 4ish), then everyone would go home. Not a bad time looking back at it.

When I lived in Germany, they were very strict with Sunday laws. For example, companies could not work on Sunday unless they had special permission and proved it was essential to operations. You couldn't wash your car on Sunday, the neighbors could call the police on you for "disturbing their rest".

Sundays in Germany were very quiet to say the least. Since there was not much to do, after family lunch, everyone would go for a walk, then cake and coffee (around 4ish), then everyone would go home. Not a bad time looking back at it.

That's kind of what we're departing further and further from here. Larger shops are only allowed to open for 6 hours on a Sunday, which is really annoying when you forget it's Sunday and you've nothing in for your tea.

For half the year, Sundays in the US are for football. Beer, barbecue, being loud, fights, rapes, riots, etc. Then during the warmer months people just chill mostly.

Thats how it used to be here with the except of it was legal to wash your car/cut your grass etc... You would have a late breakfast, grab a sunday paper from the newsagent which closed at 11am and then chill all day. As a kid I hated sunday as it was so dull, now I miss those days..

Am I right in thinking you guys have let a few of the perpetrators go by accident?

Come on you lot step up your game...:facepalm:

Back