Lexicon Alpha Pre-Amp Not Working in Skype

TheGuyWhoCodes

Hello everone,

Today i have a questiion regarding skype and my lexicon alpha pre-amp

So i wanted to talk with my friend on skype and i wanted to use my MXL v63m microphone.

So i go into the skype settings and choose Lexicon Alpha In/Out

I save it and try to talk, my friend can't hear me.

If you guys could help that would be great

Thanks
Chris

Make sure that volume levels on the software mixer are up, and the device is not muted.

this whole "Quality pre amp/mic into Skype" question has been mooted before and I don't think I saw a resolution that time?

I have never used Skype but I am betting it picks up ONLY the internal soundcard's output. Thus an external device would have to feed the computer's line input if it had one or be attenuated to feed the mic socket. With care over levels this should not result in too much of a reduction in quality.

If a destop PC fit a decent PCI soundcard such as the M-A2496 and kill OBSound. If a laptop, not much option but the dreaded AC97 and the ***tty mic input!

Dave.

IIRC the Alpha does NOT have phantom power, if that mic is a studio style condenser mic it probably requires phantom power.

IIRC the Alpha does NOT have phantom power, if that mic is a studio style condenser mic it probably requires phantom power.

It is and it does. 48 volts at a smell under 3mA. Note, you could "breadboard" a phantom supply with a pair of XLR connectors, 2 6k8 resistors and 4 or 5 PP3 batteries.

Dave.

Skype works fine with a quality external preamp---do it all the time for feeds to the BBC. Go to your Windows Audio controls and make sure the Lexicon is set as your default recording and playback device. Skype should pick it up but, if not, reboot once the Lexicon is the default.

Quick update:

the mic is set as default
All the levels are turned up
I can hear/record my self
my friend still can't hear me

The mic is set as default?

You need the Alpha interface set as default input for windows. Isn't there a setting in Skype for the input device? I only used it twice ever and don't recall.

Wow! This is the thread that runs and runs! I'd forgotten I'd posted already!

For Jimmy, the set up screen in Skype (Tools/Options/Audio Set Up) refers to the interface you select as the "Microphone" and, indeed, to the output to the interface as the "Speaker". For ecc83, Skype works fine with any external interface I've tried--the one proviso is that the interface has to be switched on and detected by Windows before you can select it in Skype.

For the OP, have you tried the "Echo/Sound Test" function in Skype? It should be listed under you contacts and lets you check what you're feeding out and receiving. If you hear yourself there, the problem is at your friend's end.

Question though...how are you feeding your condenser mic into the Lexicon since their Alpha model doesn't have phantom power?

Wow! This is the thread that runs and runs! I'd forgotten I'd posted already!

For Jimmy, the set up screen in Skype (Tools/Options/Audio Set Up) refers to the interface you select as the "Microphone" and, indeed, to the output to the interface as the "Speaker". For ecc83, Skype works fine with any external interface I've tried--the one proviso is that the interface has to be switched on and detected by Windows before you can select it in Skype.

For the OP, have you tried the "Echo/Sound Test" function in Skype? It should be listed under you contacts and lets you check what you're feeding out and receiving. If you hear yourself there, the problem is at your friend's end.

Question though...how are you feeding your condenser mic into the Lexicon since their Alpha model doesn't have phantom power?
So my setup is my MXL v63m to an phantom power supply to my lexicon alpha, then to my computer

I check Echo/Sound test on skype, and i did not hear myself :(

So my setup is my MXL v63m to an phantom power supply to my lexicon alpha, then to my computer

I check Echo/Sound test on skype, and i did not hear myself :(

Then it seems you have not gotten your interface to work with Skype.

This has got to be a setup issue with your settings or the interface is fooked. I would try updating Skype first, then updating your connections. It could just be something as simple as that.

Does the Lexicon show up as a selection in the Tools section of Skype and have you selected it? Can you record from the Lexicon in other software?

Does the Lexicon show up as a selection in the Tools section of Skype and have you selected it? Can you record from the Lexicon in other software?

It does show up in the selection box in the Tools section, and I have selected it. I can use the Lexicon in other software like Audacity,Reaper,Ventrillo,and TeamSpeak

Okay, grasping at straws here, the Audio panel on Skype has tick boxes for "Automatically adjust microphone settings" and "automatically adjust speaker settings". If those are unticked the bar below becomes a fader--do you by any chance have you gain down at zero?

Okay, grasping at straws here, the Audio panel on Skype has tick boxes for "Automatically adjust microphone settings" and "automatically adjust speaker settings". If those are unticked the bar below becomes a fader--do you by any chance have you gain down at zero?

I've had it unchecked and it has always been at the highest gain

Okay, I've exhausted all my ideas other than to say it sounds like it should work (and, although I don't have one, I know other people who use a Lexicon for exactly this sort of thing).

All I can do is wish you luck.

Okay, I've exhausted all my ideas other than to say it sounds like it should work (and, although I don't have one, I know other people who use a Lexicon for exactly this sort of thing).

All I can do is wish you luck.

Alright Thank you, i called lexicon to see if they could get to the bottom of this, i called them and they said skype might just be reading Line 1 of the alpha, which is the instrument line of it. It should be reading Line 2(The Mic). So i gotta get skype to maybe read Line 2, i'm not sure about that one, but I'll do some more research

Alright Thank you, i called lexicon to see if they could get to the bottom of this, i called them and they said skype might just be reading Line 1 of the alpha, which is the instrument line of it. It should be reading Line 2(The Mic). So i gotta get skype to maybe read Line 2, i'm not sure about that one, but I'll do some more research

That kind of does make sense, but isn't there a way to designate that in Skype? Or in the control panel of the Lexicon? Sorry, it has been 5 years since I had one.

Back