let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.5%

• Total voters
I just finished going through ALL 392 pages of this thread. Looking for ideas. An awful lot of the pictures in older posts don't show up anymore, but it was fun!

Next I'm going to go through construction threads. Again, looking for ideas.

I'm gathering ideas as my wife and I start planning for our next build. We're moving out of our house and into part of the building she owns in town where she has her law office. I'm excited as we'll have WAY more room(It's 18'8" X 71' with 9'9" ceilings!) and I can finally start getting clients into the studio again. When I was living by myself, I didn't think anything of having people here to record. After Cindy moved in, I just don't feel right about it. Our house is not very big.

Last edited:
I just finished going through ALL 392 pages of this thread. Looking for ideas. An awful lot of the pictures in older posts don't show up anymore, but it was fun!

Next I'm going to go through the studio construction threads. Again, looking for ideas.

I'm gathering ideas as my wife and I start planning for our next studio build. We're moving the studio out of our house and into part of the building she owns in town where she has her law office. I'm excited as we'll have WAY more room(It's 18'8" X 71' with 9'9" ceilings!) and I can finally start getting clients into the studio again. When I was living by myself, I didn't think anything of having people here to record. After Cindy moved in, I just feel right about it. Our house is not very big.

71' long? Definitely need some treatment to prevent the natural echo of that room (not reverb!)

Hornbill Studio - My home analog studio. This is 1 small area, the recording equipment. About 850 sf total dedicated to playing & recording music.Sanctuary.jpg

71' long? Definitely need some treatment to prevent the natural echo of that room (not reverb!)

Mike,

Yes, that would be interesting.

Plans are to build a control room inside those dimensions. Recording areas on either side. But we'll see what we come up with for ideas.

dainbramage said:
Are you using that Boss multitrack thing as a control surface? If so, how is that working out for you?

hey no I haven't tried it as a control surface. I just use if for taking out in the field recording bands and musicians. Afterwards I upload the files to the PC for mixing etc.

That looks amazing dainbramage. Is it better to have your speakers sideways like that?

Thanks ultrasound, it does look slightly better than it did a little over a year ago:

March 2013:
2013_studio.JPG

Now:
desk_2.JPG

As for the speaker setup, I placed them sideways in order to have the tweeters at ear levels and use the stands. I have read some posts suggesting it might not be a good idea due to phase issues, but they sure sound good the way they are.

In the late 1990s it was a custom built 16 foot high 27x37 foot room with adjacent control room, About 20 tube preamps (altec, ampex etc) into a 2 inch 1100 ampex 16 track, Mackey 32-8 and 24-8 used for mixing, Too many mics monitors and amps to mention etc etc......nowdays just hobby......USB interface into laptop with reaper Hahaha but it works!!!

dainbramage thats a nice setup,
amazing how we dont need racks n racks of gear and large mixers anymore...a sleek interface, and a daw w/plugs and mics and monitors.
that coffee mug made both pictures, funny little detail..

Hey Dain, the place looks great!

Thanks dude, it is getting there for sure :)

dainbramage thats a nice setup,
amazing how we dont need racks n racks of gear and large mixers anymore...a sleek interface, and a daw w/plugs and mics and monitors.
that coffee mug made both pictures, funny little detail..

Yeah, I don't really think I need anything else at the moment. Summer holiday is coming up, so it should be time to start focusing more on the music again.

That mug is one of the very few things I didn't sell while upgrading. It is arguably the most important piece of gear I've got :D

Back