let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
Hey - I recently got a new bass and and old hammond M102 organ with a separate tone cabinet.

Nice!

Very similar to my L100 Hammond.....though I didn't get it with a separate tone cab....it has the speakers underneath, but I bought one of those Lopo 212 cabs, and dropped an identical set of Hammond speakers like the ones in the organ so that I could move them away from the organ a bit, and make it easier for miking up. It was a PITA trying to work a mic in between my legs while playing the Hammond. :D

On your space....looks cozy, but Jimmy and RAMI are right, you should at least toss a couple of traps in there where you can, and see how it goes. You can also hang some from the ceiling if you don't have enough wall space....just consider the best places to put them.

I totally understand that it's hard to cram 20 traps into a room where most of the space is already taken up by instruments and recording gear....and of course, they come first....but some trapping will tighten up your low end and/or help with general broadband control.

Nice!

Very similar to my L100 Hammond.....though I didn't get it with a separate tone cab....it has the speakers underneath, but I bought one of those Lopo 212 cabs, and dropped an identical set of Hammond speakers like the ones in the organ so that I could move them away from the organ a bit, and make it easier for miking up. It was a PITA trying to work a mic in between my legs while playing the Hammond. :D

On your space....looks cozy, but Jimmy and RAMI are right, you should at least toss a couple of traps in there where you can, and see how it goes. You can also hang some from the ceiling if you don't have enough wall space....just consider the best places to put them.

I totally understand that it's hard to cram 20 traps into a room where most of the space is already taken up by instruments and recording gear....and of course, they come first....but some trapping will tighten up your low end and/or help with general broadband control.

Yeah, I was told prior to the 3 hour drive to NH that it was a leslie, but it turned out that was completely untrue :(. Still, the cabinet (a PR-40) does add a tremendous amount of fullness and is much easier to mic as you say. This thing has issues with loud hums on certain notes in any octave, but so far, I'm just isolating the hum and using EQ to quiet it. I guess it will require some service. At least it was free and it looks cool!

The whole treatment thing is very intimidating, but I have plenty of lumber and tools and enough carpentry experience. No rockwool or fiberglass or whatever that stuff is though. If I built bass traps, they'd have to be narrower than what is recommended due to space constraints. I'll have to read up on whether smaller-than-recommended is better than none at all. I know someone said earlier it can't make it worse, but I've made so many things worse in my life, I wouldn't rule that out.

Ah, so you're saying Mr. Clean is a hacker :eek:! I knew it :p. You gotta admit, it's a pretty cool hack.

I have to honest, I'm not a hacker :laughings:

I got momentarily confused and thought you meant the Roland VS2480, which is what I have, not the Tascam 2488. But yes indeed, that does sound like a very cool hack!

I trust that it made as big a difference for you as you say, and that's great. It can't apply equally to everyone in every room/situation though, right? That seems like over generalizing. I've heard plenty of shit mixes from well treated rooms and some great ones from untreated ones.

Personally, in the absence of an absolutely piss poor room (mine doesn't sound that bad really), I would invest in instruments, amps and microphones first. Maybe that's just because I don't have a huge amount of those things yet.

I do, and I can assure you life is no less real as a result :p :).

If what you've got works, great! But bad mixes from treated rooms are not because of the treatment, but because of the bad mixing!

I have to honest, I'm not a hacker :laughings:

I got momentarily confused and thought you meant the Roland VS2480, which is what I have, not the Tascam 2488. But yes indeed, that does sound like a very cool hack!

Ok, that makes a little more sense then. Yeah, the 2480 is like the big brother to my 2400. They're both pretty cool machines.

...bad mixes from treated rooms are not because of the treatment, but because of the bad mixing!

Yes, of course. That makes perfect sense. I was just trying to convey that, in my opinion, treatment in and of itself doesn't guarantee anything in terms of actual results. I think that the impact of treatment will vary depending on the individual, the existing room and what they're trying to accomplish.

So far, the low end actually does sound less boomy and more defined than it did with the speakers facing the longer wall. Whether this is a more neutral or accurate sound remains to be seen.

Ok, that makes a little more sense then. Yeah, the 2480 is like the big brother to my 2400. They're both pretty cool machines.

They're are indeed. I think mine may get sold shortly though as I don't really use it all that much, more as a controller than a standalone and I got it really cheap and could more than double my money and spend it on other things.

I was just trying to convey that, in my opinion, treatment in and of itself doesn't guarantee anything in terms of actual results. I think that the impact of treatment will vary depending on the individual, the existing room and what they're trying to accomplish.

I'm of this opinion also, but then, I'm in a square room (literally 9' x 9' x 9') that is completely untreated. Having read what I have about square rooms, I don't really see the point with the amount I'd need to add and the stuff I have in it already leaves very little room for traps or anything else. I'm only using this room for another couple of years until I get the cellar converted. I'll make do for now.

:thumbs up:

Yes, absolutely. That's cool. I guess I just meant that it remains to be seen whether or not I'll be able to tell the difference properly, you know?

I guess when I moved everything around I wondered, in the absence of any treatment, would moving the speakers from a long wall (where they were away from the corners) to a short wall (where they have to be right in the corners), help? I'd read that your listening position should be 3/8ths the length of the room away from the short wall, but I'm practically right up against it. So, neither situation is ideal, but I was curious what the differences would be. So far, I'd say this is better.

I'm of this opinion also, but then, I'm in a square room (literally 9' x 9' x 9') that is completely untreated. Having read what I have about square rooms, I don't really see the point with the amount I'd need to add and the stuff I have in it already leaves very little room for traps or anything else. I'm only using this room for another couple of years until I get the cellar converted. I'll make do for now.

I'm in a room not much different - 11' x 10.5' x 7.5' with 1 door, 2 more door openings and 2 wndows and filled with stuff, but the point of traps is they will help no matter how bad/good your room set-up is. Make some now - whatever you can fit in - and you can move them to the new space when you've got it.

I'm in a room not much different - 11' x 10.5' x 7.5' with 1 door, 2 more door openings and 2 wndows and filled with stuff, but the point of traps is they will help no matter how bad/good your room set-up is. Make some now - whatever you can fit in - and you can move them to the new space when you've got it.

I do intend to at some point in the near future. At least 2 traps for the corners by the side of the desk. I know I'll never get this room perfect but I do spend a lot of time in here and music is constantly playing in this room, so I know how it sounds. I also know my system really well, which helps me a lot.

Corner bass traps are on the list for the next thing to do for my room but having just moved house 6 months ago, other things in the house are taking a priority, new cooker, fridge, decorating, garden. I'm looking forward to building some though. I'll get the wife to do some art on them as well when they're done. Beatles Hard Day's Night Cover/Film strips or something. She's awesome at stuff like that. I don't want boring plain cloth.

They really make the room a lot quieter absorbing a lot of highs. I find the sound from speakers is more directional - as in it sounds like it comes directly from the speaker since there's no bouncing around (not sure if that explains it well). The bass amp is way more apparent now and we had to turn the bass down when jamming. We're planning on building the bass traps for the corners ourselves as recommended here.
We also upgraded the tweeters on the JBL floor monitors to Focal (not sure the model).

Back