let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.5%

• Total voters
somegeezer,
Yeah . . . The monitors look tiny in the pictures. Its just wide angle lens magic. They are the 8" M-Audio BX8, powered ones. My partner loves them for his "Hip-hop/R&B" stuff. Not in the picture are my 1991 Audix HRM3 that currently sits next to the M-Audio. I know my HRM3 intimately. I've A/B'd comperable newer Dyneaudio, Mackie and JBL . . . My HRM3 always won out.

I think he meant the video monitors, rather than the audio ones. I'm guessing maybe the keyboard (music, not letters & numbers!) moves out of the way to allow access to the mouse, etc. and to get nearer to the screens, though.

Thanks jimmys69. I hope I'm putting out mixes that sounds a lot bigger than my studio footprint, ;) LOL. After all, we are all judged by the mixes we put out . . . not our investment in audio equipment. Over the years, I've listened to a lot of crappy sounding demos come out of "big L.A. studios".

somegeezer,
Yeah . . . The monitors look tiny in the pictures. Its just wide angle lens magic. They are the 8" M-Audio BX8, powered ones. My partner loves them for his "Hip-hop/R&B" stuff. Not in the picture are my 1991 Audix HRM3 that currently sits next to the M-Audio. I know my HRM3 intimately. I've A/B'd comperable newer Dyneaudio, Mackie and JBL . . . My HRM3 always won out.

The Iso booth is 8ftx10ft and the control room is 14ftx10ft. Its about half of a 2-car garage. The other half of the garage has finished walls and has minimal acoustical treatment. That is where guitar and vocals do their scratch track when the drum & bass is being tracked. Drum kit in the iso-booth, bass is direct. No sliding door, standard swing door.

As you all know, in a small control room like mine, the "sweet spot" for mixing is a sphere about 36" in diameter around your head in the mix position. Just a reminder, return to your sweet spot for critical listening. All my monitors sits higher than my seated ear level and they are angled down to focus at the mix position, 4ft away from the monitor face.

Just doing what I can in the available space :)
Ed

Computer monitors, not audio monitors. =P Your speakers look fine. The screens are what I was referring to as tiny. They look like 15 inch 4:3 ratios. I used to run with a single 15 inch. Just moving to 19 inch 16:9 ratio made a huge difference though, so I guess 2 15 inches would work just as well. But at that angle above you, I imagine it would kill your neck at the very least. With your chair where it is, I imagine your eyes, when parallell to the floor, are probably looking diectly at the shelf your screens and speakers are sitting on. Your eyes should actually be looking at the top of the computer screens. Your audio monitor speakers sound like they are fine, aimed at the sweet spot as you say. If they were parallell too, the centre of the tweeters would be the same as eye/ear level, which would be the top of the monitor too [if the computer monitors were in the right place]. But you've put them higher, and just tilted them to point downward. Still hitting the same place they would have.

I see your Godzilla and raise you Treebeard.
02032012338.jpg

I feel other than the obvious lava lamp, everyone needs something quirky like these too. =P

Obligatory: John Kerry has really let himself go.

The fact he can hold stuff probably makes for silliness during rendering. Great studio mascot. Mine are a duo of bendable Mr. Mackey & Towelie talking plush toys. Photos to come.

Crawling hand, and brown jelly bean pooping cow (in package to keep scent under control), are necessities for tracking in my cave.

Attachments

• EEK!.jpg
    EEK!.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 804
somegeezer,

LOL . . . my bad . . . I'm used to referring to "computer monitors" as "screens". Yes mine are 10 years old 15" screens. Max resolutions from my VS2480 is 1024x768. It works fine so no sense in getting bigger screens. I've always had my screen higher than "normal" to make room for audio gear at the "normal" levels. My neck never ached so its never been a problem.

I work at home on my computer; CAD work. My main computer screen for my workstation is a 42" 1080P monitor hooked up to my laptop. I sit in a recliner and my computer monitor is up high as well and it is angled down towards my head. That way when I sit in my recliner with my head against my headrest, I am looking at my big screen perpendicular to the screen surface. Wireless keyboard in my lap and a wireless mouse that uses the armrest as the mouse pad and I can work long hours. VERY comfortable. I also watch my Blue-ray movies there a lot so I also have a nice home theater set up too. I love my day-job work space.

By the way, I hope you noticed my blue lava lamp . . . A control room really isn't a control room without one :)

Ed

this is my very modest..

this is my very modest studio setup.... after looking through hours and hours of the stuff you guys put up it makes me feel so puny and impotent !!! well .. anyways-- heres my set up.. i've just started in february 2012..have probably only put a bout $2k into it so far.. but more and more as i see your 10k+ studios it makes me want more gear.. wah wah wah!!!!

559459_182898101833112_179516012171321_268930_1545979300_n.jpg

Attachments

• 559459_182898101833112_179516012171321_268930_1545979300_n.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 702
This is my humble home studio….

Here it is in the nicest possible pic I have of it.

STSorig.jpg

Here it is when I first started;

First.jpg

Then in between;

Secondrendition.jpg

Some with the older sound traps I’d made, they were only 3”. I use them along the floor now with the newer 4” traps in their place on the walls…

IMG-20120226-00092.jpg

IMG-20120226-00091.jpg

STSoldtraps.jpg

And now as it sits…..

STS2.jpg

STSdr.jpg

STS.jpg

Dean Martin plays here….

STSDM.jpg

Some Gear;

Tucson-20120429-00128.jpg

Tucson-20120503-00132.jpg

SomeGear.jpg

IMG-20120126-00058.jpg

Tascam2488.jpg

Not much, but it helps me get it done.

this is my very modest studio setup.... after looking through hours and hours of the stuff you guys put up it makes me feel so puny and impotent !!! well .. anyways-- heres my set up.. i've just started in february 2012..have probably only put a bout $2k into it so far.. but more and more as i see your 10k+ studios it makes me want more gear.. wah wah wah!!!!

I've put more money into mine, and you still have a better recording set up. It's not about the money, but how you use the gear you have. I don't even have a set of monitors. One of the most important pieces of gear to record with.

Well thanks man info a lot of studying before purchasing... Musician of 12 years but still fairly new to producing

Same here. Coming from performance mainly. So not just the mixing that is new to me, but also all the writing. Good theoretical knowledge, but not a lot of experience with putting that into practise yet.

My Little Studio

Well I'm new here and I wanna add my pics to the lot. This is in an apartment and we are on the 2nd story. This room is actually built over the stairs and doorway where we come in and is against the center of the building, so it has this really high, slanted ceiling that must be 12 to 14 ft at the peak. Room needs some treatment, even though the lower half seems to be good.

my_studio_1_by_nsterken7983-d50wq2p.jpg

my_studio_2_by_nsterken7983-d50wq53.jpg

my_studio_3_by_nsterken7983-d50wq87.jpg

my_studio_4_by_nsterken7983-d50wqa0.jpg

my_studio_5_by_nsterken7983-d50wqbw.jpg

Cool! Hard to tell, but I think I have a same or very similar keyboard. Love the piano bench :D
Thanks! Yea, the keyboard is a Yamaha YPT-320.

And as far as the piano bench... can you tell that this studio is also "small people" accessible? LOL Glad I took this pic when I did: there's already an etcha sketch and some more crap on the floor today. Oh well. LOL

Here's a pic before I built out the studio in my last house, it has the keyboard and evidence of the 'little people readiness' of my own place! Notice the keys have marker all over them. There's also a few sticky keys from some juice or something that got spilled in there.... :mad: Glad my kids are older now!

attachment.php

Here's a pic before I built out the studio in my last house, it has the keyboard and evidence of the 'little people readiness' of my own place! Notice the keys have marker all over them. There's also a few sticky keys from some juice or something that got spilled in there.... :mad: Glad my kids are older now!

I know exactly what you mean

Love this thread. So many great ideas to steal for my studio! ;)

From what I've seen here, studios fall into one of two categories: (a) the clean professional looking studio, vs (b) the down-and-dirty studio. The clean studio has almost nothing on the walls except bass traps. The down-and-dirty studio has all kinds of signs, flags and other cool stuff up.

No offense to anybody, but I think I prefer the second type. But regardless of preference, I don't think the clean type is really an option for me anyway, what with being exiled to the garage and all.

When I get around to bass traps, they are probably going to be covered with something akin to a velvet painting of a nude woman. LOL

Back