let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.5%

• Total voters
My home 'restoration rebirth' bedroom studio.

I am no longer producing full-time. I completely retired it for 4 years, sold off my studio business.
But over the past few months I have begun to produce artists again on a song by song scale and produce my own work again. This 'lower end' bedroom studio has been really fun and supportive for re-entering the process.

Lots more mics, guitars, outboard etc. not shown

Much respect and many blessings,

Bonafide

John C,
My response was for Andybhoy's photograph BUT headphone monitoring for mixes is an whole other ballgame & something you should wean yourself from. The h/phones aren't "accurate" in the way you'd want them to be for mixing: great for detail, adequate in a pinch when you can't play things that'll wake up the baby but not the right set up for mixing.

Eric West, if you're just starting out with a lot to learn why are you touting yourself as a production company and able to do professional demos?
PS the FB page & band page are very empty at present.
Sorry mate - there's a credibility gap showing.

Funny...I've never heard of you, Ray C? I'm just starting out with my facebook page and selling studio time....I'm not familiar with working with paying customers as it may be stressful.

John C,
My response was for Andybhoy's photograph BUT headphone monitoring for mixes is an whole other ballgame & something you should wean yourself from. The h/phones aren't "accurate" in the way you'd want them to be for mixing: great for detail, adequate in a pinch when you can't play things that'll wake up the baby but not the right set up for mixing.

Oh, i had thought you were talking to me.
Anyways, about the headphone monitoring, i know i've read tons of threads and back and forth debate, i do plan on getting a pair of monitors later but like i said earlier i dont even have a mic pre(i get around that in many ways), enough mics, a mixer, a good mixing program or many other things. A pair of monitors is low on my list but will come eventually. The headphones were not specifically purchased over a pair of bookshelf monitors for monitoring but as a purchase to myself as an audiophile. Also my target audience is very specific and will all be listening to music through earphones, if speakers it would probably be an ipod dock and no more. None care, especially in the genre, about quality. If any do it would be through headphones. But i still do check my mixes many times on my variety of stereo systems. And i know my headphones well and how they translate well also.

My little sanctuary.

I used to have a nice custom built desk which was made around a digi 003, right before avid changed the goal posts and told me I had a unnecessary £1300 interface. So, that's gone now. :)

At one time I did rack 8 ward beck modules in the hole where the digi 003 used to go, but that was only temporary.
They're now mounted in a mac pro case at the bottom right.

It's pretty simple.
Mackies are in storage at the minute; I'll be bringing them out again soon.
In the rack I have two channel of auditronics 110a, and two channels of WBS m470a.
The mac pro case has 8 channels of WBS m490g which I can patch in if i need them.

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 795
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 788
Last edited:
Haven't been to this neck of the woods in a while, I recently moved my studio from my bedroom into what was an old storage room. A bit crap but
I love it. My gibson is in a case next to my amp, should of got it out. My filing cabinet AKA mic locker as a pair of Avantone CK-1's, Matched pair of SE1a's (in one of the pics), SE2200t, SM57, Blue Baby Bottle, C1000s and a couple of others not worth mention.
View attachment 69924View attachment 69925

Oh sweet sticky Moses... That's a work of art! :eek:

THANKS jimmys69 . . . I have my 10 posts !!

So let me try again. Here are my studio photos from my studio web site.

While you're there, check out my other web pages.

Studio Photos:
PC Studio Photos

Ed

Awesome looking studio. Is that a sliding door with insulation on it too? Haha. Shame about the computer monitors though. They looks so tiny and high up. I have good eyesight, and don't think I'd be able to see what was going on clearly. =P

Thanks jimmys69. I hope I'm putting out mixes that sounds a lot bigger than my studio footprint, ;) LOL. After all, we are all judged by the mixes we put out . . . not our investment in audio equipment. Over the years, I've listened to a lot of crappy sounding demos come out of "big L.A. studios".

somegeezer,
Yeah . . . The monitors look tiny in the pictures. Its just wide angle lens magic. They are the 8" M-Audio BX8, powered ones. My partner loves them for his "Hip-hop/R&B" stuff. Not in the picture are my 1991 Audix HRM3 that currently sits next to the M-Audio. I know my HRM3 intimately. I've A/B'd comperable newer Dyneaudio, Mackie and JBL . . . My HRM3 always won out.

The Iso booth is 8ftx10ft and the control room is 14ftx10ft. Its about half of a 2-car garage. The other half of the garage has finished walls and has minimal acoustical treatment. That is where guitar and vocals do their scratch track when the drum & bass is being tracked. Drum kit in the iso-booth, bass is direct. No sliding door, standard swing door.

As you all know, in a small control room like mine, the "sweet spot" for mixing is a sphere about 36" in diameter around your head in the mix position. Just a reminder, return to your sweet spot for critical listening. All my monitors sits higher than my seated ear level and they are angled down to focus at the mix position, 4ft away from the monitor face.

Just doing what I can in the available space :)
Ed

Back