let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.5%

• Total voters
How did you make them?
I did not take any construction photos. The yellow thing on the left is the corner trap and the stripe bit behind the monitor screens is 1 of the absorbers. I used 3/4" x 4" pine boards with 1/2" x 2" strips for the braces put in acoustic insulation, (I don't remember the insulation specs.) covered everything with some curtain material. I used no plans, just made it up as needed. For the corner trap, I took a measurement across the corner (wall to wall) to determine the width, then I made a tri-angle frame using 1/2" x 2" strips and 3mm thick paneling as backing. I tightly packed in insulation and acoustic foam and covered everything with fabric. I could not find a 703 fiberglass equivalent at the time, I've since located a supplier so I'll make some better traps when time allows and photo document the process. I don't seem to have much luck posting photos, I'm much better at making stuff than using computers, but I'm slowly and painfully learning.

Hi all!

I am more than a beginner. The virgin Mary had nothing on me.

Anyway, I am ready to start construction on a home studio. I am starting from ground zero, just four walls and a concrete floor. Not even a roof!!!

My question is how "dead" do I want my studio. I can get "eggshell" foam for free, so I can pretty much "kill" the room. Do I want that?

All tips very much appreciated.

Dave

Hi all!

I am more than a beginner. The virgin Mary had nothing on me.

Anyway, I am ready to start construction on a home studio. I am starting from ground zero, just four walls and a concrete floor. Not even a roof!!!

My question is how "dead" do I want my studio. I can get "eggshell" foam for free, so I can pretty much "kill" the room. Do I want that?

All tips very much appreciated.

Dave

NO! Don't do that. You will only be killing the high frequencies. Start with Bass traps on the corners.

Heres a few pics of my studio. i have been putting it together for about a year now, learning as i go. I use it for recording stuff myself but also for "jamming" with mates etc - so I needed a bit of floor room... last jam there was 7 of us...

excuse the can of inspiration in 1 of the pics >.<

any tips on positioning or anything are more than welcome!! studio1.jpgstudio2.jpgstudio3.jpgstudio4.jpg

"any tips on positioning or anything are more than welcome!!"

Both the top of your Mac and your monitor speakers could do with being at ear/eye level. The first giving less strain in your neck, the latter giving you a better listening position. That chair looks like back strain waiting to happen though. If you spend a long time at the desk, it could be well worth getting something very comfy to sit in.

As for positioning the room in general, it probably wouldn't do much to help you as of yet. My own recording desk is set up in the corner of my room too, but it's really not ideal for me to move it about. But the best position is facing the outside of the room, lengthways, about a third in. and your instruments probably would be best in another room entirely. But you make do with what you have at times. =]

Yeah corner of the room just to give me more standing space.

Ha, ye I know I need a new chair.. Every time I go to buy one I end up buying something else for the studio instead >.<

Moving my studio from the basement to a spare bedroom up stairs. It's a smaller space, but I believe it will have better acoustics. Hardwood floor & higher ceiling. Still moving gear. But I have some of the more important stuff so far.
View attachment 70860View attachment 70861View attachment 70862

Getting ready to move my drum kit & bass rig in. Got some shelves for my music books & mags. Will post more pics as I complete the move.

My next major purchase, acoustic treatment. Oh and my lava lamp will not turn on :(

Moving my studio from the basement to a spare bedroom up stairs. It's a smaller space, but I believe it will have better acoustics. Hardwood floor & higher ceiling. Still moving gear. But I have some of the more important stuff so far.
View attachment 70860View attachment 70861View attachment 70862

Getting ready to move my drum kit & bass rig in. Got some shelves for my music books & mags. Will post more pics as I complete the move.

My next major purchase, acoustic treatment. Oh and my lava lamp will not turn on :(

It's a matter of life and death to get that fixed/replaced first thing! =P

WP_000265.jpg
This is how it is right now. I use my headphones for mixing, don't do much recording in here though. Usually take my rig to the bands garage. Thats going to change soon though. A large room will be opening up right next to me soon. Ill take pictures when I set up in there.
Edit: the picture isn't working : (

You do need to move out of the corner - you've one monitor with it's back to it & the other back to a flat wall. That set up is going to give you a different bass response to start with. Speakers at ear level (well tweeters specidically), something to stop sound reflecting from the walls you're facing would help too. Really heavy drapes or blankets to stop reflection from all that glass would be good too.
On the other hand, you have a space to play and record in so you're doing fine.

You do need to move out of the corner - you've one monitor with it's back to it & the other back to a flat wall. That set up is going to give you a different bass response to start with. Speakers at ear level (well tweeters specidically), something to stop sound reflecting from the walls you're facing would help too. Really heavy drapes or blankets to stop reflection from all that glass would be good too.
On the other hand, you have a space to play and record in so you're doing fine.

Well those speakers aren't for monitoring at all, I monitor and mix with my Shure 940s(headphones). The speakers are just when more than one person wants to hear something. Not depended on them to be accurate at all.

Back