let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
nice set up FS...couple pics on my web link, nothing outstanding but it works for me.

Cool! I wish I had even a small window looking into my live room AKA spare bedroom #3:D But I plan on selling this house some day so I have avoided it up to this point. Next house goes full custom where the studio is concerned. What board is that you have there??

F.S.

I'm still slowly building back up my room and gear I've moved house so many damn times. The only thing I'm looking at upgrading in the next few weeks is a compressor/limiter and working a basic vocal booth.
The hardest thing for me right now is working out how I will setup a booth and afford the reverb foam, I've been told it's real expensive stuff.
But anyway, this is what I got setup within a month.

cimg0044dq4.jpg

The hardest thing for me right now is working out how I will setup a booth and afford the reverb foam, I've been told it's real expensive stuff.

cimg0044dq4.jpg

Go to the salvation army, garage sales, etc and buy the heaviest comforters & sleeping bags you can find. hand them on the wall or better yet, a few inches away fom the wall and you should be fine. You may have to treat the ceiling depending on it's hieght and yours;)

I put grommets in the top of a comforter and hung it fom a cable so I can pull it accross the room when needed. Works great.

F.S.

I'm still slowly building back up my room and gear I've moved house so many damn times. The only thing I'm looking at upgrading in the next few weeks is a compressor/limiter and working a basic vocal booth.

cimg0044dq4.jpg
I recommend getting the mixing position out of the corner, and rigid fiberglass for absorption in the booth and control room(first reflection points and bass traps) :D

I've got a brilliant idea of what I should do.
My cupboard door swings right around and there's a small area between the room door and the cupboard door when it's swung 180 degrees. I've filled that with doona's and pillows once before but was VERY temporary. But it worked so well I have a feeling the foam will work better but it has more room to it, so the booth soiund so isolated and dense, I like it with a warm feeling.

Do you blokes really think it's nesserery to have bass traps and reflection points for the size of my room???

This is a photo of the bedroom gap before the door is swung around

attachment.php

The Door after is swung around forming the booth

attachment.php

And an pic of what it looks like inside, I think I'm lucky to have those solid bricks as walls.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,951
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,946
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,932
New House/New Studio Space/New Problems

Hi all,

Well i finally made the move out of the apartment i was living in for 5 years and purchased my first house. The problems with sound level and the neighbors are gone away!!! Yippy!!! Now my new problem is space.. i ended up with the smaller more compact space for my studio. I have tried placing things, but still think they could be better. One thing i do have now that i never had before is a vocal booth, which was always a challenge in the past for me. I was able to demo the room closet and convert it right away, but i'm still having lots of desk placement and sound element structuring. It took about 3 months to get settled into the rest of the house and I am now ready to re-focus back on getting my studio into digital recording condition. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

demi

Attachments

• IMAG0004.JPG
    IMAG0004.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,098
  • IMAG0001.JPG
    IMAG0001.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,091
  • IMAG0002.JPG
    IMAG0002.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,089
  • IMAG0003.JPG
    IMAG0003.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,080
Hi all, Well i finally made the move out of the apartment i was living in for 5 years and purchased my first house. The problems with sound level and the neighbors are gone away!!! Yippy!!! Now my new problem is space.. i ended up with the smaller more compact space for my studio. I have tried placing things, but still think they could be better. One thing i do have now that i never had before is a vocal booth, which was always a challenge in the past for me. I was able to demo the room closet and convert it right away, but i'm still having lots of desk placement and sound element structuring. It took about 3 months to get settled into the rest of the house and I am now ready to re-focus back on getting my studio into digital recording condition. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! demi
Looks like some acoustic panels are in order, on the walls and on ceiling above your monitoring area. http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--DIY-Acoustic-Materials--102.html
What are the dimensions of your room?

Looks like some acoustic panels are in order, on the walls and on ceiling above your monitoring area. http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--DIY-Acoustic-Materials--102.html
What are the dimensions of your room?

11.8X11.8 this is excluding the closet... just the room area.

I am seriously thinking about removing the double doors that lead into my bedroom to be able to close off this room. It really made me have to think about how to setup everything. I am also looking at changing out the vocal booth door to glass.. so the vocalist won't feel so closed in... Yes i think baffles would be a good solution as well for reducing area bounce.

Demi

my humble setup

just a few pics of my gear that i'm optimistically calling "the before shot"

the yamahas are only set there for now, as i used to use them with alesis m1actives,,,,but since the alesis have been replaced,,,im gona mount the yamahas higher on the wall.

anyway,i dont have much room to work with (that wall continues about 8 foot to the left and it's free. if anyone has suggestions on basic sound treatment or positioning? it'd all be appreciated!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 1,251
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,242
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,238
just a few pics of my gear that i'm optimistically calling "the before shot"

the yamahas are only set there for now, as i used to use them with alesis m1actives,,,,but since the alesis have been replaced,,,im gona mount the yamahas higher on the wall.

anyway,i dont have much room to work with (that wall continues about 8 foot to the left and it's free. if anyone has suggestions on basic sound treatment or positioning? it'd all be appreciated!

Looks good man nice equipment.. lovin' the ash tray looks like mine :)

Its a start

I guess you would call it a "Man room" @ this point. I ran out of $$ so I have to wait til next year for acoustic treatment.

The rm is 14X14 cause that is as big as I could go without dealing with the Cnty inspector ( AKA walking schlong). Ceiling is 9'

I was/am on a very tite budget. (read " broke as a mutha" )

I used standard R-13 (walls) & R-19 (ceiling), 1/2" drywall, 1/2 OSB & 5/8 Decking. I chalked everything. I wrapped it in 30lb tar paper for now. I plan on furing out from there using some form of padding btwn 2X4 strips and existing wall. I got my hands on enough 1/2 foam roll insulation to wrap most of the bldg. I will buy the rest. I should end up with about an inch of air gap.

I know there are far better ways to do this but with the budget I am on I had to either go with what I got or try and save the money until I had enough. Fat FN chance. I spent rite around 4K for what I got. I can only imagine trying to talk myself out of buying some new gear or fixing my boat or pickin up a high $$ prostitute. the list goes on and on and on and on.....

There ya go.

any comments/sugestions welcome and appreciated :)

Attachments

• DH AC.JPG
    DH AC.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 1,180
  • DH DSK.JPG
    DH DSK.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,165
  • DH TV.JPG
    DH TV.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,160
heres my building its just a shell now its a 20x24

any ideas i sure woul love to here them!! thanks for looking