let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.5%

• Total voters
Some awesome set-ups there guys, wanted to work on mine today, but think I've caught something. Everyone here in Utah thinks a cold is an emergency and insists on sharing with all who work at the ED. Didn't wake up till 5:15 this afternoon.

I guess I most comfortable with the tape format. I think it's just me being lazy and not wanting to learn another medium

I recently got this wild idea to capture environmental sounds on tape of varying degrees of fidelity to use as samples. That must be how early FZ-1 users made samples because there's no way they could've lugged that beast around.

We're in the process of setting up an upstairs loft bedroom into a practice room/studio. ...The room is 13' x 25'. The end by the door has a cathedral ceiling ... walls are wood paneling. ... 8' of carpet at the end farthest from the door and the remainder is old asbestosis tile :eek:
sfeGS2vnhdyokOJY80DPRA.jpg
xTG1EsnuqJ_cZx9NwTP4vg.jpg

Here's the raw space. Obviously still some clean-up (OK, a lot; like getting rid of the book cases :o ) but compared to how it was it's virtually empty. Once again, please someone start a thread (or point me to existing ones) of construction in progress. I'd like to see some of the details on sound isolation, acoustic treatments and such at the design/build stage.

I guess I most comfortable with the tape format. I think it's just me being lazy and not wanting to learn another medium

I'd love to have the space for a good 2" tape machine. But... I don't have the space, AND... it seems the vast majority of 'musicians' recording today aren't good enough to try recording to tape. I mean... there's no "undo" with tape.

I'd love to have the space for a good 2" tape machine. But... I don't have the space, AND... it seems the vast majority of 'musicians' recording today aren't good enough to try recording to tape. I mean... there's no "undo" with tape.
I think it's all about choice of format- I think the ones who use digital and electronic format choose to hone their skills with that tecnology. If you gave them a tape format, they'd figure it out and get a good recording. I just enjoy working with tape.

I think it's all about choice of format- I think the ones who use digital and electronic format choose to hone their skills with that tecnology. If you gave them a tape format, they'd figure it out and get a good recording. I just enjoy working with tape.

Are we referring to the engineers or the 'artists'? Engineers, I agree with you, artists... not so much.

This is hands down my favorite thread to follow, I love seeing all the studios no matter how big or how small, and how much pride everyone has in their gear. Maybe one day Ill be brave enough to put up pics of mine.

Bravo Guys!!

Last edited:
OH yeah my favorite is watching the Studio builds, WhiteStrats build was amazing I learned soooo much from that and the end result was breath taking!

mi casa

Hi. I’m kind of new here. I was active on this forum seven or eight years ago when I started recording. I eventually weened myself off of messageboards and such things because I felt like I was getting too caught up in the techy side of things rather than actually using my tools and making music.

Blah blah blah. Anyhow, here are some pics of the haphazard basement in my current dwelling.

The room serves as a practice and recording space, as well as a DIY music venue. To accommodate this, my recording setup is meant to allow for a relatively quick teardown/setup. Other gear and instruments are scattered around the house and everything in a state of constant motion. I suppose these pictures are a snapshot of what’s going on at the moment.

When I moved in, the room sounded like a huge cave (in a bad way). I lined some of the walls with denim insulation (behind the burlap), which made the room sound warm and tight, ideal for recording and live shows. It’s not the best room for mixing but over time, I’ve learned how the room sounds and can make it work.

DSC03797.jpgDSC03799.jpgDSC03795.jpg

I eventually weened myself off of messageboards and such things because I felt like I was getting too caught up in the techy side of things rather than actually using my tools and making music.

I know what you mean. I just set up a non-MIDI keyboard and cassette recorder in the bedroom so I can practice and sketch ideas without the distraction of being surrounded by gear.

Anyway, I saw your keyboards, and as usual curious to know what you've got. :D

Bedroom Studio.

Pair of KRK Rokit 6's.
MacBook Pro with Logic Studio, Komplete 7 Elements, Alicia's Keys, Abbey Road | Modern Drums.
Yamaha DGX 530 Portable Grand (Doubles as a midi controller)
Shure SM27 Microphone
Apogee Duet
Sennheiser HD-25 Headphones

Gould Les Paul Electric guitar (Gibson Rip Off)
Eastwood Semi Acoustic

P1030389.jpg

P1030394.jpg

P1030392.jpg

P1030388.jpg

P1030398.jpg

P1030399.jpg

Sorry I don't know how to limit the size of the photos... :P

I know what you mean. I just set up a non-MIDI keyboard and cassette recorder in the bedroom so I can practice and sketch ideas without the distraction of being surrounded by gear.

Anyway, I saw your keyboards, and as usual curious to know what you've got. :D

One of the best things that I did was exactly what you're doing, to keep a large portion of gear in a different room. That limitation forced me to develop ideas where, before, I was getting lost in the options. Now I have to make solid decisions to avoid running upstairs again and again.

Here's a list of keys:
SCI Pro-One
SCI Prophet 600
Kawai SX-240
Moog Opus
Realistic MG1
Wurlitzer 200A
Janssen upright piano
And I just picked up a Korg Monotron the other day. That sort of counts, right? I also have an SCI Tom drum machine; not a keyboard, but a neat and nerdy sound-maker nonetheless! ;)

Okay, I am a long time lurker, and I have gotten much inspiration from this web site and thread. I recently completed my new studio at my new house. No longer have to cram everything into a small room. Now I have to cram everything into a medium sized room. I have been using a studio in a box for years but am now building a computer. I have a M-audio Profire 610 and a copy of pro tools 9, just need to get my new machine together. I put together this little video at the request of some friends who wanted to see what I have done and thought I would post it here.
YouTube - Dr Embos secret hidden lair studios

I finally set up some monitors in my new control room.....it's a ways from being finished but I can at least listen to some tunes.
So far I love the sound.

Here's how it started with a plan:

scan0006.jpg

I decided to give up on soffit mounting the monitors since it tends to beef up the low end and the Dyns don't need the help.

The end ceiling was done with Cedar decking:

100_1252.jpg

Next was a trip to a sawmill for some red cedar for the side ceiling. Of course it was rough sawn and had to be planed with the help of grandson Jacob:

100_1206.jpg

100_1232.jpg

We searched extensively to find "real" knotty pine for the side walls. :grin:

scan0010.jpg

Bill11-8-10013.jpg

Bill11-8-10014.jpg

Finally getting the insulation covered and the Dyn's in the room.

003.jpg

All I can say is Owens Corning 703 is proof that God loves us and wants things to sound good.

001.jpg

I still have much work to do, but now I can enjoy listening as I work. The sound is wonderful in here.

Back