let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 963 75.5%

• Total voters
I honestly can't remember. I've only been to one of their shows, which was at a state fair, I believe. That could have been where I got it. Or it might have come with a CD or some other kind of merch.

I may have finally got this to work

01newstudio.jpg

This is a beautiful picture. Reminds me of old pictures of Thomas Edison's lab and what-not. :cool:

This is a beautiful picture. Reminds me of old pictures of Thomas Edison's lab and what-not. :cool:

It's usually not all that tidy. I picked up all the beer bottles and candy wrappers so the picture would look nicer.

Also I deliberately didn't stand back any further, so you wouldn't see the cat lurp on the carpet. :o

It's usually not all that tidy. I picked up all the beer bottles and candy wrappers so the picture would look nicer.

Also I deliberately didn't stand back any further, so you wouldn't see the cat lurp on the carpet. :o

Were you intentionally going for the low-saturation sephia tone effect, or was that because of the lighting?

Were you intentionally going for the low-saturation sephia tone effect, or was that because of the lighting?

Actually the flash on my camera wouldn't work and that was just the morning sunlight coming through the windows at the other end of the room, and they have dark sheers in front of them.

I prefer a dark environment when I'm into my creative (term used loosely) moods.

Actually the flash on my camera wouldn't work and that was just the morning sunlight coming through the windows at the other end of the room, and they have dark sheers in front of them.

I prefer a dark environment when I'm into my creative (term used loosely) moods.

I have two folding tables in my studio like the one in the corner. One is covered with Casio DP-1 drum pads. The other supports a 2-tiered shelf (bottom shelf at 45 degree angle, top shelf at 60 degrees) full of Electribes, little Behringer mixers, and Fostex multitrackers that I knocked together out of plywood.

I really need to get another camera. My last one got stolen. :mad:

I have two folding tables in my studio like the one in the corner. One is covered with Casio DP-1 drum pads. The other supports a 2-tiered shelf (bottom shelf at 45 degree angle, top shelf at 60 degrees) full of Electribes, little Behringer mixers, and Fostex multitrackers that I knocked together out of plywood.

I really need to get another camera. My last one got stolen. :mad:

I have several of those small tables, and I sometimes surround myself with a variety of keyboards. I have other keyboards that I use on occasion, but just as sound generators. I will sometimes set up three or four of them, each receiving on a different midi channel, and each outputting audio into my mixer, which is connected to my DAW.

lets start by saying that some studios i see in pictures up their look from the 90
i have a 3000 dollar desktop and running magix d.a.w connected to a 4 band myxer witch comes with a built in preamp and a 200 dollar mic. sometimes its not what you have but what you can do with your equipment... trust me

HUH??????? :confused::confused::confused:

I have several of those small tables, and I sometimes surround myself with a variety of keyboards. I have other keyboards that I use on occasion, but just as sound generators. I will sometimes set up three or four of them, each receiving on a different midi channel, and each outputting audio into my mixer, which is connected to my DAW.

That's what I do too! Except it's hard to surround myself with keyboards in here because the room is so small.

I have my (very heavy) FZ-1 on a sturdy chrome Casio stand on one side of the room. I was afraid to take it out of the case much before I got the stand because the top part of the case shatters easily. I had to buy two of them. They both got damaged in shipping, and I had to make one good keyboard out of the two. The other one still works as a sound module, or I can use it for parts for the complete one.

At the back of the room is the HT-6000, with the CT-410V on a separate stand behind it. The CT-410V isn't MIDI, but it's so cool (it's the famous analog filter Casio) that I'm thinking about retrofitting it. The two keyboards take up too much space being one behind the other like that. I want to get a triple-tier stand to put both of those and my CZ-3000 on. (I eventually want to find a CZ-1 and lose the CZ-3000, as it isn't velocity-sensitive.)

I have two Midisport 4x4s and a MOTU Micro Lite that I use to connect everything to the computer. I'm going to need either some very long MIDI cords or some very long USB cords, or both, to make everything reach the computer. I use MIDI-OX as a router for all my MIDI hardware and software.

On the other side of the room (opposite the FZ-1) is the drum pad table, with the cable rack jammed in between the table and the window.

The table with the custom shelving is in the front. I have one pair of speakers on top of the shelving. I need to get some cinder blocks to put the other pair on.

You would laugh if you saw how many Casio keyboards I have standing against the walls of my bedroom next door. It's like a freakin' toy store in there! :laughings:

I used to have a couple of Casio (workstation) keyboards. The WK3500 was a great pleasure and so simple to use. I think some of the sounds in it's ROM were pretty good also.

The only issue I had with those and a couple of my low end Yamaha keyboards, was the amount of noise that came out of the audio outputs along with the music that you were trying to record. It didn't matter too much if you were just playing the instrument, but when trying to capture the audio signal, I would have to use a noise filter to make the resulting wave file acceptable.

I used to have a couple of Casio (workstation) keyboards. The WK3500 was a great pleasure and so simple to use. I think some of the sounds in it's ROM were pretty good also.

The only issue I had with those and a couple of my low end Yamaha keyboards, was the amount of noise that came out of the audio outputs along with the music that you were trying to record. It didn't matter too much if you were just playing the instrument, but when trying to capture the audio signal, I would have to use a noise filter to make the resulting wave file acceptable.

Yeah, they are pretty noisy. What kind of filter did you use, and did you like the results?

Yeah, they are pretty noisy. What kind of filter did you use, and did you like the results?

Well it isn't exactly a filter, but a noise gate. It is part of the tools that come in Soundforge. I use it in real time, run from a separate computer, as I do with many of my audio effects. The biggest drawback, is by the time I get the noise levels down to where I want them, the audio quality of that track suffers measurably. Also if I add an EQ to the track to gain back some of the lost signal, I end up muddying up the track completely.

It is probably best to just not use noisy equipment in the recording process.

Well it isn't exactly a filter, but a noise gate. It is part of the tools that come in Soundforge. I use it in real time, run from a separate computer, as I do with many of my audio effects. The biggest drawback, is by the time I get the noise levels down to where I want them, the audio quality of that track suffers measurably. Also if I add an EQ to the track to gain back some of the lost signal, I end up muddying up the track completely.

It is probably best to just not use noisy equipment in the recording process.

I have a couple of noise gates that I use with mine. I've heard of people not doing anything about the noise at all when they record their Casio, on the premise that it is what it is.

I just listened to a song I recorded last Christmas using the HT-700, CZ-101, and RZ-1. There's a slight background hiss, but it's not any more noticeable than cassette tape noise.

I have a couple of noise gates that I use with mine. I've heard of people not doing anything about the noise at all when they record their Casio, on the premise that it is what it is.

I just listened to a song I recorded last Christmas using the HT-700, CZ-101, and RZ-1. There's a slight background hiss, but it's not any more noticeable than cassette tape noise.

The noise level is probably irrelevant in certain types of music.

Music that has a constant level or that has few low volume audio sequences would come to mind. I usually end up with quite a diverse dynamic range because of the type of music I play. I try not to compress the dynamics out of the piece, because string ensembles almost certainly require that type of application.

I'm not saying that I won't ever use a Casio again. As a matter of fact, I will buy another WK as soon as I find one at a reasonably discounted price.

I can say for certain that my Roland SH-201 produces no noticeable noise at all when being recorded. But it does pick up a buzz when in proximity to my monitors.

I have this theory that most Casio keyboards have limited dynamic range to begin with, on account of being 16-bit systems or less. So, no danger of wild dynamic peaks clipping a 16-bit recorder.

Back