let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 963 75.5%

• Total voters
Yes. not a huge difference, but yes.
The underlay on the walls made more of a difference
They have almost no affect on acoustics. Nothing helpful anyway. What it is however is a fire hazard! Rip it down and make some rigid fiberglass panels or install some acoustic foam (proper stuff, like auralex). They will have a significant effect and won't be dangerous.

Cheers for the feedback panda. I am happy for now with the effect they have had on the room, acoustically and aesthetically. when i do want to improve it some more (and have some actual money to spend on it) ill look into doing something like you have suggested.

Cheers for the feedback panda. I am happy for now with the effect they have had on the room, acoustically and aesthetically. when i do want to improve it some more (and have some actual money to spend on it) ill look into doing something like you have suggested.
You won't be so happy if your room burns down because of them though. ;)

I don't know if I would call mine a "studio" just yet. Let's say it's a work in progress. I built this desk myself to fit my Soundtracs Topaz 32-channel console. Right now, this is in my living room. Luckily for me, my house has 2 living rooms, or I should say an living room and a den.

As you can see, it's not 100% complete yet, but it's getting there. I'm still acquiring gear for my 66 rack space desk. Yes, 66 rack spaces. I suppose it's a lot of spaces for a single desk (considering that I don't really have much rack gear yet), but it's a desk that I can continue to grow into.

BTW, my "real" monitors aren't up there yet!

IMG_5334.jpg

IMG_5332.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the building process:

IMG_4588.jpg

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_5059.jpg

I was happy that the alignment of the mixer and desk turned out damn near perfect. :D Here's a closeup of the alignment.
IMG_5252.jpg

Sorry if this is off topic a bit, but one of the things I want my studio to have is an arsenal of vintage instruments as well. My first is a 1977 Fender Rhodes that I'm restoring. Here'a a before and after: (it's not quite finished yet, either but it has new keycaps, new faceplate, knobs, painted namerail and knobs. The top is painted a cream white)
IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_5967.jpg

Hope this isn't too many pictures.

JEREMY

np, it's looks so pro, it looks out of place in a living room studio! :D How much did it cost u to put that together?

I'm presuming you've shaped the back in such a way that you can crawl around in there to route your cables.
A couple of light sockets in there may be a good idea too.
Nightlights would do it or even those battery operated LEDs.

Suprstar:
I spent about $325-350 on it. I don't have all my receipts handy, but I'm pretty sure my estimate is accurate. I decided to build one because the price tag on desks like this run into the thousands. I didn't have that much money to spend, so I decided to build it myself. This also gave me the freedom to design it, which was exciting to me.

I didn't buy all of the material at once. I bought it as I needed it. Most of the material was bought from Lowe's and Home Depot. I got some miscellaneous things from Ace Hardware as well, like screws, etc. It took me a couple months to build it from start to finish, and I worked on it in my spare time. I have a very good friend who let me build the two side cabinets in his garage (my house doesn't have a garage), then we transported it to my house where I finished building it.

Jim:
You're right about the shape. I built it so I can get back there. You ABSOLUTELY right about the lights. It's very, very dark back there, especially up in where I need to plug the gear in. I've been using a flashlight, but I'm going to put some more permanent lights back there so I can see.

I don't know if I would call mine a "studio" just yet. Let's say it's a work in progress. I built this desk myself to fit my Soundtracs Topaz 32-channel console. Right now, this is in my living room. Luckily for me, my house has 2 living rooms, or I should say an living room and a den.

I'm just getting caught up here...sorry for the necro-post. Jeremy, that is some stellar work man. Honestly, that is top-notch stuff.

nice bass collection! 1 guitar in the mix eh.. My guitar stand looks similar, except I have 5 guitars and 1 bass :D

here's my current setup, I'm going to be moving to my own place very soon so it will be nice split it up a bit. all my records and all but 1 turntable (i have another 1200 in the flight case) will go in the lounge as thats the more social side of things, all the rest will be in the studio at a nicer (lower) working height, plus then i'll have room for a few more bits, new mixer maybe.

P100727_184306.jpg

just got my gear down from Canada :drunk:

no studio to speak of...just a wall, a table, and some cheap guitars...sure makes me happy though :)

gear.jpg

guits.jpg

Kc, I use to have that same model wash-burn electric guitar. It has a nice neck (if my memory serves me right) ... I actually really liked the stock pickup that came with it so I took it out and replaced it with some other crappy pick up. I believe i still have the washburns bridge pickup lying around somewhere :confused:

Anyways, Cheers on the studio dude! :D

Kc, I use to have that same model wash-burn electric guitar. It has a nice neck (if my memory serves me right) ... I actually really liked the stock pickup that came with it so I took it out and replaced it with some other crappy pick up. I believe i still have the washburns bridge pickup lying around somewhere :confused:

Anyways, Cheers on the studio dude! :D

its actually not that bad a guitar..I needed a cheapo and Ive always liked washburns....Ive added one more synth and another bass and guitar, plus some room treatment since that shot.....no more though :)

Back