let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.5%

• Total voters
Ceiling and wall corners...yeah, I'll have to build up some cash to add those to the list :)

Word. Ahhhh...just one other thing: you might want to think twice about the skyline diffuser flanked by two bass traps. I've got no problem with a couple of 2'x2' QRD's striped between (or on the sides of) your bass traps, but the back wall should probably be primarily used for bass trapping. Some of the worst peaks and nulls will come off the back wall, and the skyline really won't do much about them...unless it's 9' deep of course. :D

Frank

Word. Ahhhh...just one other thing: you might want to think twice about the skyline diffuser flanked by two bass traps. I've got no problem with a couple of 2'x2' QRD's striped between (or on the sides of) your bass traps, but the back wall should probably be primarily used for bass trapping. Some of the worst peaks and nulls will come off the back wall, and the skyline really won't do much about them...unless it's 9' deep of course. :D

Frank

My other thought was a curve...your thoughts?
Or should I just go with 3) 705's right in the center?

Thanks,
Scott.

My other thought was a curve...your thoughts?
Or should I just go with 3) 705's right in the center?

Thanks,
Scott.

I know where you're going with the poly cylindrical idea, but I'd go with at least 4" of 703 or 705 on the back wall. Thicker panels made with 705 move the power curve for absorption down lower while becoming less absorptive from 1Khz on up...that's pretty much just what you're looking for in a back wall bass trap. You can mix up some diffusion back there either between bass traps or on either side.

Frank

It's a mess, but....
2009_11_21054.jpg

2009_11_21014.jpg

2009_11_21015.jpg

2009_11_21021.jpg

2009_11_21041.jpg

2009_11_21039.jpg

2009_11_21030.jpg

2009_11_21027.jpg

2009_11_21034.jpg

2009_11_21033.jpg

2009_11_21044.jpg

2009_11_21038.jpg

2009_11_21004.jpg

2009_11_21007-1-1.jpg

In rehearsal mode, for the most part.

Last edited:
^^
It is a mess, but damn I wish I had some of that stuff. I can never seem to come across a decent deal on a Rhodes or a set of xylophones or marimba. Awesome (and cozy-looking) space.

^^
It is a mess, but damn I wish I had some of that stuff. I can never seem to come across a decent deal on a Rhodes or a set of xylophones or marimba. Awesome (and cozy-looking) space.

As someone who has that stuff (piles of amps, a rhodes, a Hammond M2, and a slew of goofy instruments), it's a double-edged sword. They are incredibly sweet to own and play, but the goofiest things can go wrong with them so (maintenance) and moving is just awful.

^^

Thanks. That Rhodes was $350 in my hometown about 12 years ago. It's getting steadily more out of adjustment, and needs some attention. I had it in the shop once when I lived in NYC, but not since. I broke something in the amp when I moved to Connecticut. :(

Those student Wurlys can crop up for cheap. They have no tremelo, but are otherwise just like a regular WurliTzer. The trick is to open up the back and connect an AC cord to the white and black wires, and it'll run. No output, just speakers, but that's part of the charm of the sound, IMO. There's one with a broken middle C in my son's room.

The Vibes were found in a junk/antique shop. Like $125. No belt/Motor, though.

It's been far more messy at various points. This is actually relatively good!

As someone who has that stuff (piles of amps, a rhodes, a Hammond M2, and a slew of goofy instruments), it's a double-edged sword. They are incredibly sweet to own and play, but the goofiest things can go wrong with them so (maintenance) and moving is just awful.
Yeah, it's a labor of love. It's rediculous to try to keep three hammonds running!

Been a while since I last posted, so here are some updated pics:

001jpg-1.jpg

007jpg.jpg

009jpg.jpg

005jpg-1.jpg

014jpg.jpg

n1289754958_30474024_1020210.jpg

The xlr panel was made yesterday courtesy of my friend teaching me how to make cables:
019jpg.jpg

Just made this little stand for the mixer today:
222jpg.jpg

Yes I know there is no treatment:rolleyes:

Last edited:
DLab studios

Great pics here!!! This is my temp studio in a spare room.... in process of building new more spacious studio...

Attachments

• DSC02642.jpg
    DSC02642.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,473
  • DSC02644.jpg
    DSC02644.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,464
Merry Christmas All! Just been setting up my Christmas present to myself :p
Finally got some respectable monitors in my humble bedroom setup, so I thought I'd update.

353ce3a.jpg

I'm still waiting for my SM Pro M-patch 2 to arrive so I can wire them up properly.
In use a week or so ago before the new monitors...

71tzlc.jpg

Its a very comfortable and 'friendly' space to work in - well it is my bedroom after all! Cosy, but there's still plenty of room for me and 4 or so other people to laze around in there during a session. I use the room next door (my sister's bedroom, but she's away at uni most of the time) as a cab isolation room... its an old house with thick walls so it works really well. I can crank an amp fairly high in there an barely be able to hear it in my room :)

And for the record, this is what I started with a few years ago...

qqpt0l.jpg

Last edited:
Back