Kickdrum mic placement - need advice

Rep is really a bunch of crap, certain ppl in the vistors forum just collect rep. And they have massive rep. So it's been renderd totally usless (even though in my view it was crap anyway) But sometimes if you rep people they'll often help you out that little bit more, which was why i mentioned it. :D

Awww, i just checked my User CP and you gave me a blue square which does not do anything, To increase rep i think you have to leave a comment.....i think.

Yeah, I got it off of ebay for $159, it's brand new. It's quite lovely and I can't wait to use it. I have to wait until tomorrow tho because i only have band practice on thurs :(

That sucks, what do you use to record? Actually what set up have you got in total?
If you can only use it tomorrow then i guess you don't have a dedicated space yourself for recording?
In which case how come you have such a nice microphone?

I've just gone and confused myself!

Ego profit, I made up two samples.
"DRY KICK" and "KICK IN MIX" which both can be found at the link at the bottom.

The "dry kick" sample is the kick drum on its own with no effects at all.
The "kick in mix" sample is the finished mastered mix.

Hope this helps. I placed the mic just at the hole facing just to the side of the beater.

Thanks ecktronik, I really like what I hear!! I hope my kick sounds that good and I appreciate you posting that. Nice band!

DrummerDude:

Unfortunately I dont' have a dedicated space; I jam at my friend's house where we have a recording setup. I have been buying "nice" mics to try to build my collection and make our setup more professional.

Right now my kit (yamaha stage custom 4 piece) is only mic'd off by 2 Shure SM57's, I have two more on the way. It's work in progress.

We use a 1972 Peavy 18 track mixing console, all recording is done through a Tascam US-122 XLR - USB recording interface. All recording is done on a laptop with digital software.

Good stuff, the Beta 52 will add a much needed punch to out recordings. I will post samples once i get them.

No problem Egoprofit. Look forward to hearing some samples. Just shows from my samples that a not soo great kick recording can end up sounding pretty meaty and slappy in the mix.

<< instead of $40 for a new head i'd rather just take the head off and spend that money on a fat danky sack of mary jane. >>

well, that IS what i suggested to start with--at least, with regards to taking the head off completely. that's what i do b/c my Pearl kit came with a resonant with a HUGE (intentional) hole in it......and like drummerdude said, why bother at that point?

as far as the danky sack, the only stuff in the $40 range around here is compressed mexi, and that's barely good enough to give you a headache. i'd rather spend that $40 on some drum heads and let the band spend *their* money on "head supplies", which always seem to come my way anyway. :D

....talk about recording on a budget..... :p

cheers,
wade

bottom line: i'll have to experiment to find out!

where do you live? i can get some decent stuff in tx. chances are it's from the mexican company (mexi co.)...

anyways, thanks for your input. PS I could get 2 grams of hydro :o

Back