Kickdrum mic placement - need advice

EgoProfit

Hello I recently purchased a Shure Beta 52 kickdrum mic and I'm very excited to use it. Before I do, however, I have a question because this is my first kick drum mic to use for home recording.

For mellow indie rock style, I have a bass with no hole in the head. Should I cut a hole into it? Also, would it sound best putting the mic in front of the kick drum aimed at the center, or have a hole with the mic pointed into the hole?

What about putting this mic inside the drum?

i guess I'll have to experiment to know for sure. Thanks.

really depends on the sound... mellow indie rock could be like the new amsterdams, in which case i'd take the head off and point it at where the kick hits ye old beater head... or it could be more like the decemberists, in which case i'd leave it on and play with mic placemnet on the res head... really really really just depends on your desired out come. if you ask for a specific sound, then you have something to shoot for. :D

I'm thinking about getting a shure beta52, i'd be intrested to hear the results you get.

Do you think you could post some clips unmixed and then some clips with it mixed?
Rep coming your way if you can :D

EgoProfit said:
Should I cut a hole into it? Also, would it sound best putting the mic in front of the kick drum aimed at the center, or have a hole with the mic pointed into the hole?

Cut a hole, and place the mic with the colored band flush with the skin. I get great results with that mic in that placement 95% of the time. Pull the mud out at the EQ, and optionally boost the high end or high mids for a more metal sound, or reduce them for a kick you feel more than hear.

This position gives you a really big and real sounding kick drum.

i'd have to disagree with cutting a hole. i'd either place the mic outside of the solid head (more drum BOOM, less beater WHACK), or take it off completely if you're looking for more beater whack.

cutting holes in resonant heads is usually an exercise in rendering a head useless.

of course, YMMV.....

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
i'd have to disagree with cutting a hole. i'd either place the mic outside of the solid head (more drum BOOM, less beater WHACK), or take it off completely if you're looking for more beater whack.

cutting holes in resonant heads is usually an exercise in rendering a head useless.

of course, YMMV.....

cheers,
wade

Cutting a hole in the head only renders it useless if its in the center. If you cut a 4-6" hole off to the side you will still have a nice resonance. You can even adjust the mic(s) to get a nice blend.

id say not to cut ahole in your head. you get get plently of sharp kick sounds if the resonant head is tuned or muted right. what sound are you goin for? you want a clicky sharp sound? try micing the kick head. you want a a deep boomy not so resonant sound? try taking a strip of material and putting it under the hoop of the resonant head so its stretched out tight against the head. this will kill alot of the resonance but not the lows. the times ive used the 52 in the studio i think i end up switching it out on kick fo r a d112 or an re20. think it was just to mushy for me. i use it on bass cab alot though with good results.

I find the d112 works better for kicks without holes. The 52 sounds VERY nice in a hole, with the diaphragm flush with the head.

Re

I'm really not sure what sound I'm looking for; since I am just now getting into recording and FINALLY got a decent bass mic I will be experimenting to find the sound that I am looking for.

I would like to thank you all for your input, I greatly appreciate it and I will take each reply seriously. Thank you again! I will let you know my results from this beautiful microphone :) :rolleyes:

I've used the 52 for several years.

Like tallman, when the res head has a whole, I place it about flush with the head pointed either at the mid point between the beater and the rim, or more towards the beater.

On kick sans-hole, I would play with placement on the res head or take it off. Consider putting a room mic low and behind the kit, the right placement will get your room sound with a good amount of beater (of course the room needs to sound good for this to work). Also, I agree that hole cutting is not advisable, I did this to my kick and it makes tuning the res head near impossible. Then again, I did in the first place because I couldn't figure out how to tune the res head. :o

If anyone's interested, I can post tracks (mixed, unmixed, just drums, just kick, full band, etc.) of some "live" recording I recently did at a band's practice session. The drum setup was as follows:

Kick - Beta 52 on a smallish kick (guessing 18" diameter) with no hole in the head
Snare - Sennheiser e604
Overheads - Pair of M-Audio Solaris mics

Overall, the drums came out extremely well...by far the best recorded drum sound I've ever gotten.

phil--

my comment about "rendering the head useless" is that most folks have no clue where or how to start when it comes to cutting a hole in a resonant head, and usually the result is a mangled resonant head with a lopsided, jagged hole that no longer works as it should. it's not b/c i promote the sound of a solid resonant head, etc. :D

My suggestion would be to leave the head intact, and if you want to experiment with a head with a hole, then BUY a head with a hole in it and use that one instead of mangling an otherwise fine resonant head. a new resonant head will set you back, what, $35-40?

anyway, that's what i'd do......YMMV

cheers,
wade

I love people who cut a hold about 8" in the head, Then stick gaffa tape around it! haha!

Or even better people who don't put gaffa tape on it and then it rips halfway through a gig :D .......god im evil

Also an 8" hole is the same as not having a reso head, so you may as well take off the head :rolleyes:

mrface2112 said:
My suggestion would be to leave the head intact, and if you want to experiment with a head with a hole, then BUY a head with a hole in it and use that one instead of mangling an otherwise fine resonant head.

That's a very good suggestion!!

instead of $40 for a new head i'd rather just take the head off and spend that money on a fat danky sack of mary jane.

drummerdude 666, what do you mean "rep coming your way"??

anyways, please post the tracks i'd like to hear it also.

thanks.

Back