Kanye's setup.

but what if you chop the drum sample? I don't sample drums for the pattern. I can make that myself, however, the Triton doesn't have good enough drum sounds for me to use. I sample drums so that I can chop them up into individual hits (bass, snare, hi hat), and I use those individual sounds to make an entirely new drum pattern. I also process the drums into my very own personal drum kits. I usually take sounds that are common to most producers, I've never stole drums from a song with a widely recognized drum pattern or drum kit. Like I said earlier, I'm a church musician and I can play my own melodies and bass lines, etc. I just don't think that the Triton is suitable enough to be used alone as the method for making beats.

I don't know what y'all are talking about. I know he reproduced samples (like getting Jamie Foxx to do a Ray impression) but he used some reg. ones too, like the Diamonds Are Forever sample in Diamonds From Sierra Leone.

I understand that stealing a whole phrase is wrong. I know that for me to sample a whole multi-bar loop/phrase from a song is stealing and that I would have to get permission to use it. What I'm talking about is using the feature on the MPC or Triton or whatever sampler you use called Chop/Time Slice. What it does is samples drum loops and chop them into individual drum hits (i.e., kick drum, snares, hi-hats, toms, etc.), by automatically detecting them in a song. All you have to do enter in the BPM of the song or you could enter the amount of quarter note beats, and the sampler automatically detects every individual drum hit (i.e., kick drum, snares, hi-hats, toms, etc.) and divides the whole sample into these individual hits so that every key or pad you press plays an individual drum sound rather than a sampled loop in every pitch. Kanye West does both: He pitches up the sampled loop by pressing a higher key, and he uses the chop/time slice feature to divide up drum loops to make his very own drum kits. He said on the last track of his college dropout CD that he did that with Dre's Xplosive track on his Chronic 2001 CD. Perhaps I should start another thread about this matter, but I really don't think I would (I didn't say that I couldn't) get sued for doing that because by the time I finish processing my drum sounds, they won't even sound like the source. Also, if you listen to Usher, Anthony Hamilton, or ANY other R&B singer's CD, you can tell that the drum sounds on their tracks have been sampled using the time slice/chop feature, and if you read the little booklet that comes with the CD's you will see that the songs where the drum sounds came from are not credited. Realize that lots of producers use similar kits such as 808 sounds. My Triton, however doesn't have those sounds (And if it does, it doesn't sound as good), and so what I do is sample that sound from an album, such as a Lil Jon, Jermaine Dupri, or Mannie Fresh album while applying compression to create great professional sounding tracks. Who's to say that I stole my 808 (or whatever sound i use) from any of the producers I just mentioned?

You don't have to worry about sampling one shots. Beside being near impossible to indentify, it would be impossible to prove that to a court. It is technically illegal though.

thats true..everyone that sample does it..so dont worry about it..do you..

and so everyone will know i emailed the copyright office about this issue and will be wainting on the answer..

whats witht the ignorance?

-sampling drums is about dusty ass old records, not cds or anything
-you can get sued over drumbreaks..it's about the copyright on the mastertape.
-Kanye DID use strings and what not... the string arrangements were done by well known producer and composer Jon Brion (Fiona Apple. Magnolia soundtrack)

know what ur talking about before you say something.

peace.

from the copyright office
How much of someone else's work can I use without getting permission?
Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances. See FL 102, Fair Use, and Circular 21, Reproductions of Copyrighted Works by Educators and Librarians.

How much do I have to change in order to claim copyright in someone else's work?
Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create, a new version of that work. Accordingly, you cannot claim copyright to another's work, no matter how much you change it, unless you have the owner's consent. See Circular 14, Copyright Registration for Derivative Works.

Copyright Office
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave SE
Washington DC 20559
(202) 707-3000
www.copyright.gov

also note......
Drum patterns are ignored for the purpsses of copyright because there are only so many ways you can bang a bass drum and snare drum. The law recognises it would be kind of stupid to insist that no two songs could ever have the same rhythm / drum pattern ever and therefore this is ignored (note carefully that I said drum pattern, not drum sample or loop. A sample is a recording and a performance that also has its own copyright. But the pattern of the drums, the actual rhythm, is ignored for copyright).

although i can get sued, i don't believe I will. The possibility of getting "caught" using someone else's drum sounds is slim because my Triton has the tools to adjust the sounds to my liking. Although technically it is illegal, I don't think anyone will recognize my drums because for one, many producers use the same kits (especially the tr-808's deep bass drum, claps, cowbells, etc.). Also, many drum kits sound so much alike that it's impossible to tell where they came from. And another thing, by the time I'm done processing these sounds, I'LL be able to sue someone for using "my" sounds. Ain't no way in the world some producer gone be able to sue me because they won't recognize "my" drums. If I played one of my beats right now no one on this forum would be able to recognize where I got my drum sounds from. The MPC,Triton, and other samplers were made for this, so THEY ought to be sued for making this feature. I ain't got the time or the money to be worrying about clearances. I honestly think that just about everybody in the industry does it, and like I said earlier, all the songs I heard that used sampled drum sounds didn't give credit to the source from which they got the samples.

do what you gotta do...

if someone is coming after you over a drum sample(one hit) then they are hard up for money..

just do what you gotta do...

The MPC,Triton, and other samplers were made for this, so THEY ought to be sued for making this feature.

that's like sueing smith & wesson for people killing each other.

I'm against the tabacco industry man...

I smoke my weed pure...no stink ass tabacco with chocolate for taste, tar to fuck up your longues and nicotine to keep you hooked.

Tabacco industry is mafia, son.

Back