Kanye's setup.

again i say

mpcs and asr10's are nothing more than drums pads with a seq inside that are limited on sounds. and there are some sounds that are only found in one place, that module or instrument that makes it; the movie or marcto strings on this board or module wont sound like the ones on another because of programming how its sampled or generated the hardware its self and how the triggering is set up wich goes into response/release time etc. and the only way your going to get the live bass licks you want is to have a player do it for you while you sample or youll have to make the track around your limitations

chalin27 said:
Man I just got a DJX, soundfonts and acid and I think my shit is okay. Yall don't even want to see my setup for mixing. Just master your art and you can create hotness. I agree with what you all say.

nothing wrong with that DJX. I got one too..secret tip type shit right there.

oh btw, kanye doesn't have an XL...just a 2k

I totally agree with not needing a gang of equipment to make hot joints. It comes down to your creative techniques on what you have. I can't tell you how many times I've been to someone's spot, and they have this room full of gear, and their tracks arn't hittin. It all comes down to what you do with what you have.......As for Kanye, yes that maybe all the equipment he uses. but he also uses a lot of live instrumentation, and as far as his last album. A lot of that was produced by Jon Brion. Who primarly uses live instrumentation. (Check Fiona Apple's first album. Brion is nice wit it!!!)

Ya, that's all I saw him use to make beats on VH1 Driven... Now, he might start to make beats like that, but he mixes everything on a big board and Pro Tools HD. Pre Production and then goes to the big studio to polish it up...

get your drum sounds from sampling vinyl,thats where most the producers get there drum sounds...at least rap.Speeding up and slowing down samples is a breeze on the mpc I use the mpc3000.....
1.Record sample
2.assign it to a pad
3.edit...this is where you can tune your sample to speed,or slow down,you do all this in real time....you dont have to put in a value press enter and wait for a processor to make the adjustments for you to hear

trax said:
Asr-10 for sampling and speeding up samples.
mpc 2000xl for sequencing.
vs-1880 for recording and mixing.
old gemini mixer for sampling.

Who cares? All he does is sample anyway...

What's with all this hate against sampling I see nowadays?

Without the sample , there would be no such thing as rap. Sampling is an artform and not "the easy way."

jibran said:
What's with all this hate against sampling I see nowadays?

Without the sample , there would be no such thing as rap. Sampling is an artform and not "the easy way."
sampling is quite easy compared to composing tho. not that it makes a difference kuz theyre both skills. i do both

It depends on how you're sampling. You can do it Puffy-style with no skill required or you can do it Jay Dee (R.I.P.) style where it sounds like a rebirth of whatever the source was.

a key element of makin hot beats is to sample someone else's drums. Sounds like stealing right? it is, but the MPC, Triton, Fantom X/S, and other samplers were designed to do just that. They have features such as Chop and Time Slice, that if you read the manual that comes with these products, you will discover that they were designed to sample drum loops and chop them into individual drum hits (i.e., kick drum, snares, hi-hats, toms, etc.). By sampling these drum phrases while applying compression you can get those loud, punchy, professional sounding drums/beats that the top producers use. Almost nobody uses preset drum sounds in the industry (especially Triton presets, they SUCK). Kanye says it himself on the last track of his college dropout CD that he sampled drums from Dr. Dre's chronic album (The xplosive track). I sample from Usher (the break in the song burn where he says "woo, oooo, oooo" and all the music drops except the drums, and the intro to track 20) Anthony Hamilton, Musiq, Aaliyah, and other singers. The idea is to sample from a point in the song where the drums are just playing (or even if there is a small melody line, on track no. 20 of Usher's confession's CD, there is a guitar sample stuck on the clap) because it makes it easier to chop, and because these drums have already been compressed and mastered. The advantage is that these drums are too short to be recognized by the average person(and many producers for that matter) as a sample, and even if they were, how would anybody know where the sample came from? And if they did recognize the sample, there would be NO POINT of MPC's and other samplers.

no one can sue you for sampling drums patterns...

you get sue when you sample melodies and song structure..

most people do..thats the biggest problem with sampling..people do it anyway and dont give the right credit to the work or dont get permission to use the sample..

and i dont want you to think i think that sampling someone else work is right cause its not..just letting you know you cant sue anyone over drum sounds

i dont sample..for one simple reason... thats money out of my pocket..i dont care it it will make my tracks sound hotter or not..if you want you can clear the samples and pay for it yourself.. i dont use them..

all i sample is drums, I'm a church musician so I can play my own chords/melodies/bass lines. I use the triton but the built in drum sounds suck. The other instruments(organs, bass, piano, brass, strings, etc.) are EXCELLENT but the drums aren't really good. I've only recently started sampling drums from other songs after listening to songs from the artists that I mentioned in my first post. I discovered that the drum sounds that they used aren't presets, but are samples. I play my own drum patterns, but I use sounds(sampled drum hits) from other CD's, because there is no way I could get those good professional sounding results. The drums on the Triton aren't loud and punchy enough, so I sample other drums while applying compression. As far as melodies/song structure, the farthest i've ever gone was to sample just single notes, not loops and phrases. I know that fruity loops, reason, and other sampler/sequencers do the same thing, but I wasn't sure if they had to get the sounds cleared.

bknot1 said:
no one can sue you for sampling drums patterns...

you get sue when you sample melodies and song structure..
where did u hear that? its not ur sound to take. Most people dont sue for drums but if they really wanted to they could sue. Thats like sayin O well I looped ur drum pattern but u cant sue me kuz its drums. Yes u can most just dont

i took a music business class at my college and my professor is real knowledgable on things like this. when he taught us about copyright law he mentioned that the only things you can copyright are melodies, lyrics, and sound recordings. You cannot copyright drum patterns or chord progressions as anyone will inevitabley use the same progression or basic drump loop pattern. However if you lift a drum sample from a song and the label owns the SR then they have the ability to sue. But if you really think about it by the time that drum hit(kick,snare, hat or etc.) are processed in most of our beats, they are already re-recorded and processed differently. So in actuallity you can get sued only for lifting of the recording, but since they probably to those drum samples from someone else they dont really crack down on them. But you can use your own sounds and program the same exact beat, same rhythm and meter, but they can't sue ya.

Back