Just Joined....

Charlie, have you called any of the local studios in Tulsa to see if they would work with you? You don't need a big studio, maybe a small independent one might have an ADAT machine that can transfer the individual tracks from the ADAT tape to a flash drive or CD. You don't want a final mix, you just want the individual tracks.

I see some 15 or more studios in the Tulsa area. People like this: AMR Studios - 918-732-9180

I would call the place, ask if he has the ability to transfer ADAT tracks to a different format. If he doesn't maybe he knows someone else in the Tulsa area who has the equipment.

It's not that complicated of a process. If you have the ADAT machine, you either run from the optical output on the back to an interface, like Rob described, or you could run the 8 analog outputs to 8 inputs on the interface. An interface is just a box that lets you bring multiple audio signals into a computer. You said you have a gaming computer. You can run a program like Reaper and simply transfer all 8 channels at one time if you have an interface like the Behringer 1820,

Once it the computer, you save the individual tracks as wave files. Then you can copy/redo/remix/rerecord as much as you like and never lose the original transfer.

With all due respect to you... Yes, Country Music is CRAP or RAP, but when someone does come with a Classic Country tune, folks eat it up. "Murder on Music Row", was released in 1999 & it still gets a lot of play, as does other George Strait & Allan Jackson stuff.. If I don't try, I know the result of that effortless endeavor. If I try, I can still dream.
Mostly, the challenge will be getting someone who already has a big name and some hits to record it. That's the only way it'll bring in the big bucks.
Luke Coombs, one of the few modern "country" artists to be worthwhile IMO, has recently done a couple older songs -- among a few other artists.

Mostly, the challenge will be getting someone who already has a big name and some hits to record it. That's the only way it'll bring in the big bucks.
Luke Coombs, one of the few modern "country" artists to be worthwhile IMO, has recently done a couple older songs -- among a few other artists.
Yeah, Luke might be a good try, but I don't think he's my man... I don't think he's real....

Charlie, have you called any of the local studios in Tulsa to see if they would work with you? You don't need a big studio, maybe a small independent one might have an ADAT machine that can transfer the individual tracks from the ADAT tape to a flash drive or CD. You don't want a final mix, you just want the individual tracks.

I see some 15 or more studios in the Tulsa area. People like this: AMR Studios - 918-732-9180

I would call the place, ask if he has the ability to transfer ADAT tracks to a different format. If he doesn't maybe he knows someone else in the Tulsa area who has the equipment.

It's not that complicated of a process. If you have the ADAT machine, you either run from the optical output on the back to an interface, like Rob described, or you could run the 8 analog outputs to 8 inputs on the interface. An interface is just a box that lets you bring multiple audio signals into a computer. You said you have a gaming computer. You can run a program like Reaper and simply transfer all 8 channels at one time if you have an interface like the Behringer 1820,

Once it the computer, you save the individual tracks as wave files. Then you can copy/redo/remix/rerecord as much as you like and never lose the original transfer.
Yeah, I think they are very impressed with themselves & acting like they can do no wrong, but when I went bye... they were twiddling their thumbs... Didn't impress me... & their prices are through the roof.

If you are able to get the tapes transferred to audio files, I bet someone on this forum would be willing to mix them for you. There's actually a "Mix This" su-forum where members post tracks for others to mix.

If you need to do a transfer, you have to use the right words, so you have to do some learning, or it’s never going to go right and you might waste money. All the three you have mentioned are digital audio tape, just different flavours. DAT, as a type not an abbreviation for digital audio tape, is the small different stereo tapes. The Sony style video 8 tapes, the hi-8 variety are 8 tracks as are the ADAT, which was just Alesis Digital Audio Tape. Few studio folk have working DAT or the hi-8types, but ADAT machines were pretty tough and some are still around. Transfer prices are never cheap because every pass through them with unknown tapes could write the machine off, so prices are high. Just very much now a niche market, especially as you don’t know what is on them. The production makes me wonder if there are perhaps two or three tapes per song if they ran 16 or 24 track. You could have over a tape to discover all it contains is drums!

well, I don't care what it is.... All I know is what I read on the tape. DAT is a Dat, by any other name. But I'll stop inserting my stupidity, as of right now, cause the Rose may be SunFlower, for all I know... please forgive my ignorance...
There's no need to apologise but there is a need for accuracy and clarity.
What you have shown in your pictures there is not going to contain a multi-track recording allowing you to manipulate the individual parts which,
as I understand it, is the reason you came here.

You've shown a DAT, which can store stereo audio.
It even says on the label "master mix", so if you get that digitised you're going to be very limited in what you can do.
As others have said there's software out there that can do remarkable things but I feel it's important to know for certain what you have, in totality, first.

You've mentioned 'larger SVHS tapes" - If you have some other kind of tape please show pictures of those too.

I'm trying to clarify because terminology is easily misused or mixed up and you could easily pay someone a lot of money to digitise recordings only to find they're not what you thought, or hoped.

Okay, here are the ADATs. I have 2 masters & 2 copies... I also have the downloaded CDs & the data sheets (MAPs)

Attachments

• ADATS.jpg
    ADATS.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 9
Alright, great. You have what you said you had right at the start. 😂
This thread got unnecessarily confusing fast! Sorry about that.

Personally I'd try to find a conversion company, like you did before, but tell them you want the individual tracks as .wav (8 per cassette), rather than trying to buy the equipment to do it yourself.
An Alesis Adat can probably be had for fairly cheap, as you found out, but one you can trust?
I'd be scared that something would happen to your irreplaceable masters.

If you source it out to a reputable firm they should know their equipment is solid, and then your masters are digitally preserved in an accessible format.

I would, however, scrutinise the contents of those DVDs just in case the original guy gave you stereo mp3s and the individual tracks too.
I would have...

One more thing... since finding someone to pitch my songs to, is questionable, what do youse guys think about putting these songs on Video & placing the Vid's on You Tube....?? That will tell the tale & also seal the deal, on who owns them, my copyright & my YouTube Videos... Whaddaya Thimk..?

As a matter of perspective, does the world really care about the words to yet more country songs?
I can think of half a dozen country songs with memorable lyrics.
All the rest are just bland nothingness, and the music to all of them is all the same.
To be worth any copyright income the lyrics would have to really stand out.
I listened to the sample song, and I can't remember what the lyrics were about.

As a matter of perspective, does the world really care about the words to yet more country songs?
I can think of half a dozen country songs with memorable lyrics.
All the rest are just bland nothingness, and the music to all of them is all the same.
To be worth any copyright income the lyrics would have to really stand out.
I listened to the sample song, and I can't remember what the lyrics were about.
Thanks for the Input, I won't look for your handle on the YouTube Posts... Just for your information, that's why I wrote some of mine, most Country is a tune meant for dancing, & their stories are full of holes, but at least it isn't LOUD R& R or RAP... My songs have stories, some are mine..

Thanks, Tom.

I actually have a pair of ADATs, but they need servicing before I would trust them with someone's tapes. I also have a DA38 and access to two more, but they also need servicing.

The songs are pretty good, so to be honest, I'd open a songtradr account and use them to put them onto all the platforms - spotify, itunes, apple music, youtube etc - and that also sets your songs against your name so if anyone shazams them, your name comes up as composer etc. it will cost you a bit, but it gets the music on about 20 or so platforms worldwide.

The songs are pretty good, so to be honest, I'd open a songtradr account and use them to put them onto all the platforms - spotify, itunes, apple music, youtube etc - and that also sets your songs against your name so if anyone shazams them, your name comes up as composer etc. it will cost you a bit, but it gets the music on about 20 or so platforms worldwide.
Thank you very much Rob,,,, I'll look it up & look into that program...

Back