Just Joined....

NO, I paid for the Song Demos through a service in Tennessee, which has sadly gone away.
Oh, it's not you singing? You just wrote the songs? I don't mean "just" in a negative way. I mean, you wrote them but someone else is performing them?

There was a Demo Service in Tennessee, who assisted songwriters to get their works to market. They provided the musicians & the Singers, as long as you provided the lyrics, the tunes & the money. They did 20 plus songs for me, then I got married, left Seattle & that was that. Like I said, I'm an old man & on my last leg... Just thought I'd like to hear some of my songs on the radio... they are way better, than the crap that's being played...

I'm am old man & the world has passed me by. BUT... I have a bunch of songs, that I wrote yesteryear, in the 80s & 90s. They were demoed by a man in Tennessee, but they need modified. They are on 8 track ADATs (VHS tapes). I'm trying to find a way to get them on some software, so I can modify the volumes of each track... & maybe get a few do-overs on the vocals & start pitchin' these masterpieces to Nashville... Anybody have any ideas...?
With all due respect, I understand your desire to resurrect songs that you wrote and had demoed in the 80s and 90s in an attempt to "start pitchin' these masterpieces to Nashville", but the vast majority of "country music" being produced in Nashville these days all sound the same. Cookie Cut Music.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor!

I’m really confused now. You have the songs on multitrack ADAT, or stereo DAT? If you have the multitracks, then you can get them transferred to individual tracks and remix them. Stereo will be very difficult if they have the poor mix and clicks?

the ADAT sounds hopeful, stereo less so. The only snag I can see is the rights? Did the musicians who are playing sign buyouts so you can market their performance? Pretty common on these deals, but when you release it, you’re expected to at least credit them as featured contributors.

do you want to learn the techniques and buy the equipment to do the remixing, or pay somebody else again?

ADAT transfers are still quite available. But the tapes are fragile and the machines all getting old.

Great tunes!

You can get a pretty decent demo mix from what you've got without too much work if that's what you want but to get something better getting someone to transfer the individual tracks would be useful.

Last edited:
I’m really confused now. You have the songs on multitrack ADAT, or stereo DAT? If you have the multitracks, then you can get them transferred to individual tracks and remix them. Stereo will be very difficult if they have the poor mix and clicks?

the ADAT sounds hopeful, stereo less so. The only snag I can see is the rights? Did the musicians who are playing sign buyouts so you can market their performance? Pretty common on these deals, but when you release it, you’re expected to at least credit them as featured contributors.

do you want to learn the techniques and buy the equipment to do the remixing, or pay somebody else again?

ADAT transfers are still quite available. But the tapes are fragile and the machines all getting old.
6 track ADAT, but someone rendered them to stereo CD. CeeBee still has the ADATs, so at this point I believe he's only looking for someone to do the ADAT-to-digital multitrack conversion.

With all due respect, I understand your desire to resurrect songs that you wrote and had demoed in the 80s and 90s in an attempt to "start pitchin' these masterpieces to Nashville", but the vast majority of "country music" being produced in Nashville these days all sound the same. Cookie Cut Music.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor!
With all due respect to you... Yes, Country Music is CRAP or RAP, but when someone does come with a Classic Country tune, folks eat it up. "Murder on Music Row", was released in 1999 & it still gets a lot of play, as does other George Strait & Allan Jackson stuff.. If I don't try, I know the result of that effortless endeavor. If I try, I can still dream.

6 track ADAT, but someone rendered them to stereo CD. CeeBee still has the ADATs, so at this point I believe he's only looking for someone to do the ADAT-to-digital multitrack conversion.
I have the Music & Vocals on ADAT SVHS Tapes & 8 Tracks DATs. I'm hoping Mr. Hicks I & I have this started.. I purchased the Demos, so any & all is my property. All of it will be redone, if any Artists want to record the songs, then it will be there's & I'll get a royalty....

The DA88 is an 8 track machine but it used Hi8 video cassettes.
Anything recorded to DAT will be stereo.

I'd recommend posting pictures of your cassettes, showing any labels, just for 100% confirmation of what you've got,
then either post in the analog forum or get on google for digitising services,
to find someone who can digitise this material for you.

Once it's digitised I'm sure there'd be plenty of people willing to help you out in balancing the tracks, whether here or elsewhere. (y)

It's pretty vital to give the people who will do the transfer the right info. It was bad enough when we were using them.
DAT, ADAT and the Hi-8 DA-88 series. Very different beasts.

here are the pics of the DAT & a Cassete..

THE larger SVHS tapes should be understood by all, they are big.

One of the small DAT tapes says "All w/vocals", the other small DAT tape says "No Vocals"

NOTE.... I found out what that nasty sound is... It's synthesized banjo, with the treble turned up... Terrible back up sound..

Attachments

• DAT & Cassete.jpg
    DAT & Cassete.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'm very familiar with the Tascam DTRS system. Generically speaking
I'm very familiar with the Tascam DTRS system. Generically speaking, it's a "digital audio tape," but it's not the format called DAT. It uses Hi8 video tapes, which are bigger than DAT tapes but smaller than VHS tapes. They are 8-track (or more if you sync up multiple machines).

well, I don't care what it is.... All I know is what I read on the tape. DAT is a Dat, by any other name. But I'll stop inserting my stupidity, as of right now, cause the Rose may be SunFlower, for all I know... please forgive my ignorance...

So.... once I have the ADAT & it comes on... I put the VHS tape in & what... I connect the output to my receiver ... Can I listen to my songs or am I still missing some gear...?

Anybody here, do this kind of thing...? Maybe I can send my "gear money" to you , for remixing my stuff & that will be that... Since I'm a nobody, a Producer won't invest nickel one, but they'll be sorry...
Are these on separate tracks ? I'm not sure I understand or maybe I missed it.

Back