Just got the Lynx II !!!

Rev E

Just wanted to let you guys know that I just received my Lynx II soundcard. I got the C version 6in, 2out. I'm VERY happy right now... just wanted to share the joy. If you're in the market for a new one go to http://www.digitalproaudio.com/ The folks there are very helpful and responsive. They have the best advertised prices on the Lynx cards and have a free shipping special for the Lynx cards. I'm not sure how long that lasts.

I'll do my best to get some samples comparing the Lynx converters to something else sometime soon. I've only got a Delta 66 to compare to, since I sold my Layla. So hopefully that will be enough to hear the difference. My Sebatron pre is coming in next week I am told so pretty soon I will be able to record a song completely with the Sebatron pre so you guys can hear what it sounds like.

That's really cool, and I'd love to hear the comparisons . . .

But this has exactly what to do with microphones ? ?

chessrock said:

lol..he's prolly happy now that he can actually hear whats really going into the microphone

i have the C version 2....i just need the DAC-1 and i'm good to go...

chessrock said:

Sorry Chess. I was so excited I didn't even think of which forum I was posting to. That's what gearslutism does to you.

:D

Rev E:

that's cool. How are you planning on comparing the 2? I've heard that even play back the same mix thru dif cards will sound different. I hope you can come up with a way to demonstrate the differences for us to hear.

Al

:D Since you posted in the wrong forum, I think you owe it to us to do some sort of comparison.

Probably too late, now. I'm guessing you've already yanked the 44 right out 'a there.

Originally posted by A1A2 Rev E:

...How are you planning on comparing the 2? I've heard that even play back the same mix thru dif cards will sound different. I hope you can come up with a way to demonstrate the differences for us to hear.Al

The comparison will be of the Analog to Digital Converters. So even if you don't hear what I hear, you'll still be able to hear the differences between the A/D converters. This should be pretty significant... But we'll see.

chessrock said:
...Probably too late, now. I'm guessing you've already yanked the 44 right out 'a there. ....

No Chess,
I still have the 66 in there. I intend on using it when I do band recordings and I need a few extra channels for noncritical stuff. So, the comparison should be pretty painless. Plus, I do a lot of Gigasampler stuff in the same computer and the 66 has stable Giga drivers. The Lynx II on the other hand has only beta GSIF drivers. I'll let you guys know when I have some files to share.

Do you have any mic pres or DI's with two separate outputs?

An A/B splitter, perhaps?

You could even do a balanced out to a Y-cable . . .

one channel in to the Delta, and the other to the Lynx.

Do 3 or four tracks that way, mix, and compare the finished products.

Chess,

The VTB-1 and Mackie pres are my only ones that can do this. I don't have a Y cable, but I guess I could get one to do this.

Rev E said:
The VTB-1 and Mackie pres are my only ones that can do this. I don't have a Y cable, but I guess I could get one to do this.

There you go. Go RCA out of the Mackie mixer's main outs, panned center . . . Left channel to soundcard A and Right Channel to soundcard B.

chessrock said:
There you go. Go RCA out of the Mackie mixer's main outs, panned center . . . Left channel to soundcard A and Right Channel to soundcard B.

use the alt outs instead...one less mackie op amp to degrade sound...and do you think a mackie is good enough to produce a sound that it will make a difference between the delta 66 and lynx?

It's still an apples to apples comparison.

One other thing I was thinking: Take an existing mix . . . and re-route each track, one-by-one or simultaneously depending on your capabilities, out of either the Lynx or the Delta. . . and then back in again.

And do it for each card. Same D/A, but two different A/D's (Compare the Lynx running back in to the Delta with the Lynx running back in to itself and so on).

Granted, there would be some sound degredation do to the extra D/A and A/D conversion steps . . . but that's the whole point of the comparison: see how much degredation each one suffers and so on. And by using an existing muliti-track mix, we should be able to hear whatever cumulative effects might be going on over several tracks.

Rev E said:
The comparison will be of the Analog to Digital Converters. So even if you don't hear what I hear, you'll still be able to hear the differences between the A/D converters. This should be pretty significant... But we'll see.

Looking forward to hear this. Thanks!

a happy delta owner:)

Al

chessrock said:
It's still an apples to apples comparison.

One other thing I was thinking: Take an existing mix . . . and re-route each track, one-by-one or simultaneously depending on your capabilities, out of either the Lynx or the Delta. . . and then back in again.

And do it for each card. Same D/A, but two different A/D's (Compare the Lynx running back in to the Delta with the Lynx running back in to itself and so on).

Thanks Chess. I'll do this. Anymore ideas? I'll also do this through the VTB-1... you get an XLR and 1/4" output simultaneously. I would try this with the DPM3, but I need a Y cable to do this.

Rev E said:
I'll also do this through the VTB-1... you get an XLR and 1/4" output simultaneously.

As long as the XLR and 1/4" are both balanced and running at the same levels, it would be a valid comparison. If one's running at consumer level and the other at pro . . . or if the 1/4" is unbalanced, then it might not be valid.

Back