Just Another Day

From what I can tell ... w/o google ... it means looking down at your shoes.

Hard to keep up with the kid's vernacular. :)

Oh, ok. I'm pretty sure I was wearing slippers while tracking (rock & roll!!!). Does that count?

Yeah, I think some of the advice here was really solid. I tried to implement some things, but I just couldn't make it work right. I am ok with that, as this first mix works for me and I hope that it does for frits as well.

Hers are the only female vocals I've ever worked with and it is very different from mixing my own (our voices couldn't be more different!). I still have a lot to learn even after 3-4 tracks of hers so far.

At points like 1.09, her vocal's getting buried in the mix. She has a very gentle delivery and it needs some room. She's supporting your mixing decisions right now cuz what you two are coming up with is interesting and cool and exciting, but consider balance in a mix with a gentle female vocal. It needs room to be heard. The backing tracks you've come up with are excellent. They're also clouding the vocal a bit.

From what I can tell ... w/o google ... it means looking down at your shoes.

Hard to keep up with the kid's vernacular. :)

I get some satisfaction that they might have to look up #vernacular. :)

Heh heh, most of the shoegazer bands split up about 25 years ago! :D

Heat, they were a handful of bands in the late 80s/90s like Spiritualized, My Bloody Valentine & Slowdive who played guitar music with loads of overdrive, droney riffs, guitar pedals and sweet melodies. It got labeled shoegazer because they were a bunch of slipper-wearing introspectives focused more on their fx pedals than their audience.

I saw Spiritualized once and Jason Pierce didn't make any detectable movement detectable for like an hour. I'm not convinced he was genuinely at the gig...

LOL @ Slipper rock. I actually didn't know what to tag it but soundcloud has to have a tag, so I just hit s on the keyboard and saw shoegaze and thought, ah, close enough. I actually do most of my singing and guitar playing in slippers too. :)

Ah I love Spiritualized...what a sweet sound they have.

At points like 1.09, her vocal's getting buried in the mix. She has a very gentle delivery and it needs some room. She's supporting your mixing decisions right now cuz what you two are coming up with is interesting and cool and exciting, but consider balance in a mix with a gentle female vocal. It needs room to be heard. The backing tracks you've come up with are excellent. They're also clouding the vocal a bit.

LOL @ "She's supporting your decisions now..."

Yeah, you may have a point. I dunno. I think the level is pretty good, except for the 1:09 part. I totally agree there. Thing is (throwing Trish under the bus again warning), she gave me 5 vocal tracks. I thought, one lead, plus two sets of more or less backing vox. There is one lead, but the other 4 are all different and come and go at different times. At 1:09, there's just two of them, and that's right when I felt the music needed to build. I was a cool puzzle though trying to decide where to place each track and at what level, but I probably could have given it more thought or done some automation there or something. I think we're both still learning.

Heh heh, most of the shoegazer bands split up about 25 years ago! :D

Heat, they were a handful of bands in the late 80s/90s like Spiritualized, My Bloody Valentine & Slowdive who played guitar music with loads of overdrive, droney riffs, guitar pedals and sweet melodies. It got labeled shoegazer because they were a bunch of slipper-wearing introspectives focused more on their fx pedals than their audience.

I saw Spiritualized once and Jason Pierce didn't make any detectable movement detectable for like an hour. I'm not convinced he was genuinely at the gig...

I mean, that actually sounds kind of cool musically from that brief description, but I guess I'll have to go listen to some stuff. The only band I've heard of is My Bloody Valentine and I don't think I've ever actually heard their music. Personally, if I'm at a show, I don't really care what the band is focused on as long as they sound cool. So. this goes way back to the '80's? I thought it was a newer term for some reason.

I'd like to shoegaze but my gut gets in the way far too often.
I do have a GREAT shoegaze patch on an old late 80s multi FX unit though.

Back