Just Another Day

I really dig this song. My only suggestion is what was already said about the snare. I think a jazzy brush snare would sound a little better given the sound you have going on. Great job.

I think that this is just fantastic. Love the little solo breaks in it, and all of the textures from the keys, bells, etc. Watch out for the mouth noises on the vocal, I get them too. Not sure how to avoid that, other than to stay hydrated.

Great song, glad you posted this. You've come a long way, this was a nice refreshing song to hear.

Heat, the only real mix suggestion I have would be that the snare is just a little bit too loud at times. Maybe squish it a bit with a compressor, because I love the ghost notes and wouldn't want to miss those. Fine job man.

Ah shit, this is brilliant - not just 'forum good', but 'scrabbling round looking for a pen and paper if I heard it on the radio' good. The parts you're both bringing to these collabs complement each other really well - world weary etherealness from frits anchored with the rich bass and drums sound from heat.

It's that same kind of sonic blend that DJ Shadow got and I love so much on his earlier albums and that first UNKLE album (if either of you don't already have/know their Psyence Fiction record, you gotta get a copy).

I wonder whether the lip smacks are a symptom of not having a decent pre-amp and so tracking too close to the mic to get enough signal in. Heat's post about the low wave volume suggests this might be the cause?

Other than that, if you could both post something crap next, so I don't feel like I'm kissing your asses, then that would be great. thanks :)

I really dig this song. My only suggestion is what was already said about the snare. I think a jazzy brush snare would sound a little better given the sound you have going on. Great job.

Cheers Bruthish. I'm not sure Pete has got one of those brushes, but I agree that would have sounded cool. Would have made it go into that late 60s early 70s hippy girl era I reckon.

I think that this is just fantastic. Love the little solo breaks in it, and all of the textures from the keys, bells, etc. Watch out for the mouth noises on the vocal, I get them too. Not sure how to avoid that, other than to stay hydrated.

Great song, glad you posted this. You've come a long way, this was a nice refreshing song to hear.

Heat, the only real mix suggestion I have would be that the snare is just a little bit too loud at times. Maybe squish it a bit with a compressor, because I love the ghost notes and wouldn't want to miss those. Fine job man.

Yeh I can hear it too, it's my bad mic/singing technique. I've only really learned so far, not to enunciate the consonants, but I'll keep chipping away and get it right one day. I was pretty hydrated, maybe too much, it was beer. :) Thanks for the listen and the feedback.

I felt the performance and recording were actually fine, both good enough to call it done to my average ears, but the song too repetitive to hold my interest, even on the radio side of things. I can understand repeating a part for stylistic value but F-A-A# progression has been heard many times before and therefore just too predictable to be worthy of such repetition. it's just how I feel

Ah shit, this is brilliant - not just 'forum good', but 'scrabbling round looking for a pen and paper if I heard it on the radio' good. The parts you're both bringing to these collabs complement each other really well - world weary etherealness from frits anchored with the rich bass and drums sound from heat.

It's that same kind of sonic blend that DJ Shadow got and I love so much on his earlier albums and that first UNKLE album (if either of you don't already have/know their Psyence Fiction record, you gotta get a copy).

I wonder whether the lip smacks are a symptom of not having a decent pre-amp and so tracking too close to the mic to get enough signal in. Heat's post about the low wave volume suggests this might be the cause?

Other than that, if you could both post something crap next, so I don't feel like I'm kissing your asses, then that would be great. thanks :)

That's one of the best comments ever Rob, thank you.

Pete hears the finished thing in my basic ideas infinitely better than I do. It really sounded lame and incomplete when I handed in this project to him. He provided well more than half the sounds in this thing.

I know a little of DJ shadow from Radio 1 but not much...I'm just checking out that Unkle album on You Tube, enjoying it immensely so far.

Well I just said above that I believed the mouth noises are due to bad technique but yeh, pre amp, if I had one of those it would almost definitely to maybe be almost kind of perfect? :) I honestly think I need to spend more time setting my mic and levels up. I went for the At4033 condenser, but I'm wondering now if I should have used the Rode M3, that's a little less picky uppy I think? Maybe I'll try it. I'm pretty sure I must be able to get a decent vocal with the set up I have, and I'll keep trying.

Thanks again. We'll do something really shit next, just for you. :)

PS. I loved that tune you did, Diana Light the Moon.

I felt the performance and recording were actually fine, both good enough to call it done to my average ears, but the song too repetitive to hold my interest, even on the radio side of things. I can understand repeating a part for stylistic value but F-A-A# progression has been heard many times before and therefore just too predictable to be worthy of such repetition. it's just how I feel

It would be hard to find a chord progression that hasn't been done many times before.

Actually, it's F-A7-A# which is entirely different! :) I've never done a song with that chord progression before, nor can I think of one off the top of my head. Perhaps Seals and Crofts uses it frequently?

The number of chords or how often they've been used by others is of no relevance to me, as are your feelings. Maybe you just find the arrangement uninteresting. It's only like 2 and a half minutes long though...have you considered ritalin?

Yeh, don't worry, it's OK to feel. :) Maybe I should stick to being 'inspired' by other bands like Pink Floyd and Yes.

I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel with my F-A7-A# progression or anything.

Everyone always repeats something recognizable at some time, but I think we made this thing sound pretty original despite the fact that everyone might have recognised the chords as F-A7-A#.

Not F-A-A#...

:)

Nine times out of ten, critiquing the chord structure of a song is beside the point of this forum. I think that critiquing the arrangement of song is spot on though, cuz mixers change up the arrangement all the time - the mute button is the most valuable tool you have sometimes. But the chord structure is just what the song is. So that's why I'm taking this opportunity to critique the arrangement of this mix.

Nah, just joking. :D

Actually that's the sort of chord progression I use lots... which then automatically makes it slightly unusual... :D

Hey FTG... long time no hear...

Nice tune... various other people have mentioned various mix things that I'd probably endorse...

* bit less in the lower mids on the vocal, maybe a bump up higher
* touch more vocal
* bit of editing of the lip smacks here and there.... feels a bit like my ear's being licked... ewwwwww... :eek::D
* I'm tempted to say just a touch less on the bass guitar but I'm thinking an adjustment to the vocal might render that unnecessary

But... nits... "sweet" is a good term for it. And I love heat's little guitar figures. Nice job both of you... :thumbs up:

I think a jazzy brush snare would sound a little better given the sound you have going on.

Unfortunately I don't own brushes nor have I used them before, but I actually think that might have sounded really cool on this. :)

Heat, the only real mix suggestion I have would be that the snare is just a little bit too loud at times. Maybe squish it a bit with a compressor...

Thanks. I tried that last night...the snare is already compressed some, but I tried lowering the level and some other things. I also messed with her vocal tracks trying to EQ them to be lighter are airier as discussed earlier. I raised the level of the vocals too. All these things in theory would have been an improvement, but ultimately, after all the tweaking, I went back and listened to the first mix and just preferred it. Not sure how that works..? :)

Ha! Yeah, I kind of threw her under the bus in that post. Sorry Trish! :) Yes, the tracks were quieter than normal with some hiss, but I should have been able to do whatever was needed to them myself. They weren't like bad or anything, and I didn't personally hear too much mouth noise, or if I did, it didn't bother me, so I didn't really try to address that. I did last night, but without success. Thanks for your thoughts as always rob. :)

Actually that's the sort of chord progression I use lots... which then automatically makes it slightly unusual... :D

And awesome. :) Thanks for having a listen Armi.

I kind of wanna go back and retrack the vocals, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do much better, perhaps with a different mic? Thing is, I've tried singing with my other mics and really this one produces the best sound. Plus I'm not sure Heat can be bothered mixing those in again?

Nine times out of ten, critiquing the chord structure of a song is beside the point of this forum. I think that critiquing the arrangement of song is spot on though, cuz mixers change up the arrangement all the time - the mute button is the most valuable tool you have sometimes. But the chord structure is just what the song is. So that's why I'm taking this opportunity to critique the arrangement of this mix.

Nah, just joking. :D

Yeh I hope I wasn't too defensive about it. I mean unless I'm blatantly plagiarizing, I don't give too much thought to how often chord progressions have been used before. Plus the sweetest songs I know use the same chord progressions but in very different ways.

I'm kind of curious what songs he was talking about, maybe Armi's? Anyway, good sounding chord progressions are like sugar to me. It'll always taste good, no matter what it's in, or how often you eat it. Until someone invents something better, I'll keep loving it. Sucralose doesn't count, it's bitter. Like me. LOL. :)

That's one of the best comments ever Rob, thank you.

Pete hears the finished thing in my basic ideas infinitely better than I do. It really sounded lame and incomplete when I handed in this project to him. He provided well more than half the sounds in this thing.

I know a little of DJ shadow from Radio 1 but not much...I'm just checking out that Unkle album on You Tube, enjoying it immensely so far.

Well I just said above that I believed the mouth noises are due to bad technique but yeh, pre amp, if I had one of those it would almost definitely to maybe be almost kind of perfect? :) I honestly think I need to spend more time setting my mic and levels up. I went for the At4033 condenser, but I'm wondering now if I should have used the Rode M3, that's a little less picky uppy I think? Maybe I'll try it. I'm pretty sure I must be able to get a decent vocal with the set up I have, and I'll keep trying.

Thanks again. We'll do something really shit next, just for you. :)

PS. I loved that tune you did, Diana Light the Moon.

Ah, cool - yeah, that UNKLE album and the first two DJ Shadow records (before he disappeared up his own arse in search of some hiphop cred) are pretty flawless.

I didn't mean that this tune sounded like DJ Shadow/UNKLE much, but rather that both them and this tune share that rich low end/dreamy arrangement feel. Too often stuff with that shoegazery feel has a cool arrangement, but the bass/drums are so brittle and overly wet that it's far less satisfying to my ears than it could have been.

Thanks a lot for your comments about my song too, that was a fun one to do :)

Thoroughly enjoyed. No nits from me.

It's fine, as is. Any improvements would only be noticed by those who are paying way too close attention to everything. :)

Thoroughly enjoyed. No nits from me.

It's fine, as is. Any improvements would only be noticed by those who are paying way too close attention to everything. :)

Thanks for this as well.

Yeah, I think some of the advice here was really solid. I tried to implement some things, but I just couldn't make it work right. I am ok with that, as this first mix works for me and I hope that it does for frits as well.

Hers are the only female vocals I've ever worked with and it is very different from mixing my own (our voices couldn't be more different!). I still have a lot to learn even after 3-4 tracks of hers so far.

I love the stuff she comes up with and I love her singing, so I hope she will allow me to work on more of her stuff in the future. This was really fun for me. Thanks again! :)

What is this shoegaze stuff anyway? I noticed frits put that as a tag on this tune, and I've heard the term but don't really get it. A quick google search gave me some info, but no understanding.

From what I can tell ... w/o google ... it means looking down at your shoes.

Hard to keep up with the kid's vernacular. :)

I get some satisfaction that they might have to look up #vernacular. :)

Back