Junk Telecaster

This has been interesting! I am wondering where you found the plans for the neck as that seems to be the only thing I can't find right now.

This has been interesting! I am wondering where you found the plans for the neck as that seems to be the only thing I can't find right now.

If you know the dimensions of the neck pocket and the width of the nut. All you need is the outline for the headstock. PM me in any case..;)

Here's a neck pdf - it's the one I used.

http://www.drivingblind.org/NECK.pdf

Make sure you print it the right size so the scale length is 25 1/2" (you'll have to print it on several sheets of paper and tape them together.) If you print it so the distance from the nut to the 12th fret is 12 3/4", this should give you the correct size.

For the truss rod I used 3/16 diameter roller shafts from the copier. One wasn't long enough, so I welded two together.

Attachments

• truss-rod-weld.jpg
    truss-rod-weld.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 139
I built up a weld on one end and shaped it to a hook, so it wouldn't rotate or move longitudinally.

Attachments

• truss-rod-hook.jpg
    truss-rod-hook.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 138
This would fit into a recess in the heel end of the slot.

Attachments

• truss-rod-heel-recess.jpg
    truss-rod-heel-recess.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 116
I threaded the other end, and drilled through from the headstock to the truss rod slot. (I had to make a long drill bit from another roller shaft.)

Attachments

• truss-rod-drilling.jpg
    truss-rod-drilling.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 117
I installed the rod and made a plug from a scrap of walnut, which was glued in and cut/sanded down.

Attachments

• truss-rod-in-neck.jpg
    truss-rod-in-neck.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 116
A nut made from a 3/8" roller shaft was threaded on the headstock end for truss rod adjustment.

Attachments

• truss-rod-nut.jpg
    truss-rod-nut.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 117
I love builds like this.........anyone with alot of cash can build anything they want. But it takes some real brain power to put something together with little cash that's nice too boot. Great work!

Glad you're enjoying this - I had a great time building it.

Here's a pic of the copier, after a hugely enjoyable day of tearing it down. (If there's anything I like better than building something, it's tearing something apart.) And this doesn't even show the two bins of sheet metal and plastic parts.

Attachments

• copy-machine2.jpg
    copy-machine2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 106
Next, the fretboard. I took a scrap of walnut left over from the truss rod plug, and turned a dowel using a hand drill and belt sander.

Attachments

• dowel.jpg
    dowel.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 102
This was cut into sections, and these were glued into 1/4" holes.

Attachments

• fret-markers2.jpg
    fret-markers2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 102
The dowel was turned smaller for the side markers, then similarly fit into holes.

Attachments

• dowel-small.jpg
    dowel-small.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 101
This is a jig making a 12" radiused sanding block to sand the fretboard. The router swings back and forth, and the block is raised a little with each pass to make a new cut. The block was about 10" long, and sandpaper was glued to the radiused portion with contact cement. (I don't have a pic of the finished block.)

Attachments

• radius-jig2.jpg
    radius-jig2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 101
What to make frets out of? I was thinking of HO gauge model train track, but I couldn't find my boxes of train crap. But there was a bunch of fence wire out on the property.

Attachments

• fret-wire.jpg
    fret-wire.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 102
Meanwhile, the back of the neck was shaped with the belt sander, the fretboard radiused, and the fret slots recut to correct depth and width. Here is a piece of the fretwire cut down to measure the correct depth of the slots.

Attachments

• measuing-frets.jpg
    measuing-frets.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 102
Back