Junk Telecaster

crazydoc

Master Baiter
Last year (2009) I lost my job, and being at loose ends and without income, I entered a $100 Telecaster challenge on the MIMF website http://www.mimf.com/cgi-bin/WebX?14@97.r0oyaFP7DCv.0@/ . In honor of my unemployment, I decided to challenge myself to make it with no cash outlay, using only materials I already had on hand. (Of course, I am a huge pack rat.)

The basic materials were wood scavenged from cabinet shop cutoffs I'd gathered on my work commute, and an old copy machine given to me by a nephew.

Here's the wood - two pieces of alder on the right, and lyptus on the left (enough for four necks eventually.)

Attachments

• tele-wood.jpg
    tele-wood.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 184
First, the body of alder. The long pieces were cut to length.

Attachments

• telewood1.jpg
    telewood1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 175
Sanded to thickness and flatness. (I found the belt sander to be one of my most useful tools.)

Attachments

• flat.jpg
    flat.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 178
Cutting out the body was a huge PITA. The 30 year old jigsaw wore out, so I had to use the table saw, a rotozip tool, and rasp the do it.

Attachments

• rough-cut.jpg
    rough-cut.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 178
Neck pocket. This pic and subsequent ones were taken later, after the neck and hardware had been made.

Attachments

• neck-pocket-and-plate.jpg
    neck-pocket-and-plate.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 174
The body with all cavities drilled/routed, edges rounded, and ready for finishing.

More later.

Attachments

• body.jpg
    body.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 174
Good stuff - thanx for posting that. :)

I had a B&D jigsaw like that - with the 6" power cable... I don't miss that feature! :D

Sound wise, and lots will disagree (but not many violin makers will) you might consider using Titebond Hide Glue instead of the white glue. The white glue acts like plastic separators between the wood pieces. The hide glue is organic and much closer to wood. It helps the separate pieces "become one" and you should get stronger fundamentals and more resonance.

Good for you and it looks excellent so far!

A few years ago, I got the "build my own guitar" bug so I bought one of those Saga kits. Not near as much work as you have put in, but it was fun and gave me a much better appreciation of a fine guitar.

Keep us posted!

Damn, you guys are way more resourceful than I am. I couldn't imagine even trying to build my own guitar, although I would love to do so. The closest I come is to hopefully someday buy some pos foreign job and repaint it, drop new pus in it. That's about it for me.

nice job!

On to the neck. I ripped a slab off the lyptus board. I downloaded a neck and fret template and traced it out, making sure I'd printed it to the correct 25 1/2" scale length.

Attachments

• neckblank.jpg
    neckblank.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 155
I cut it out with table saw, rotozip, and belt sander. I made a jig (basically a sliding miter box) to cut the fret slots.

Attachments

• fret-slot-jig.jpg
    fret-slot-jig.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 152
I made another jig to cut the truss rod slot. The truss rod has to be bowed slightly in the neck to work properly, so the slot has to have a curved bottom.

Attachments

• truss-rod-slot-jig.jpg
    truss-rod-slot-jig.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 152
Back