John Renbourn

Don't be insecure Gerg, I've told you how much I respect your shit.
You're an awesome drummer, and you and RAMI make the cleanest recordings in the joint. I've just spent way too much time in the bins. :D

Lol. I'm not insecure. I don't think you've ever said anything bad about me or my music or even the music I like. I'm just busting your balls, dude. :thumbs up:

In all serious, my music scene is suffering from an unchecked and rampant plague of ass-backwards punk rock elitism. Too many unqualified people try to define and dictate what and who is or isn't punk enough. If you play good and/or sound good? You aint punk! If you use shitty gear, play bad, and sound like crap? Hell yes, punk as fuck!

In all serious, my music scene is suffering from an unchecked and rampant plague of ass-backwards punk rock elitism. Too many unqualified people try to define and dictate what and who is or isn't punk enough. If you play good and/or sound good? You aint punk! If you use shitty gear, play bad, and sound like crap? Hell yes, punk as fuck!

That really is nonsense, isn't it? I hate punk bands that can't play. I like the ones that rock, and you can't rock with a ramshackle rhythm section and a shambling out-of tune

performance on guitars and vocals. This is why most "punk" bands in our area don't get paid, and we do ok.

For some reason I figured you at least liked him.

He was a real gent and shared his playing with all and any that wanted to talk to him on it. I met him loads of times along with many of the established and not so well known players of that style and era. Some of my best buddies are his buddies and we would often have a get together and sing and eat. Often those guys would stay over at friends when they had gigs across the country rather than faceless hotels..

He was very highly regarded and respected in the guitar world here with good reason..

To me punk was all about getting the song done without all that twiddling and noodling that accompanied so much of the rock stuff at the time... We all liked it then and still do know. I know what you mean about the elitist idiots though. I've had 16 year old kids telling me I don't know what punk is.... Me and my mates from those days who played on the scene just laugh at them and smile.

died actually like a week ago.
I wasn't going to post it here because I think there are maybe 2 of you fuckers who even know anything about the man.

Anyways, he's with Bert again.

A British friend on FB posted his picture with the message 'so sad' and I thought 'not sad at all, he's great'. Now I get it. Lady and the Unicorn, yeah. That first Pentangle album was an eye opener, though. I don't think they ever quite matched it.

A big, big, big influence on my own stuff. It wasn't the folk aspect - I was okay with folk but never a big fan - it was how they worked the folk vein using a blues/jazz approach. Awesome.

I think genre-fication is stupid anyways. Pretty much every genre is like that.

If you don't do these exact things, you're not real punk, metal, gangsta etc. That stuff all holds music back, but it keeps stores like Hot Topic in business,.. the idea that if you buy the right clothes you're the "real thing".

---------- Update ----------

For example, this exists:

Crustpunks.com - Punk Patches, Shirts, Clothing & More

I think genre-fication is stupid anyways. Pretty much every genre is like that.

If you don't do these exact things, you're not real punk, metal, gangsta etc.

Which is one of the reasons Pentangle was so cool - they started out as genre-benders. It's the best way to escape sheep. You gotta be careful with sheep. Bleaty little dag-bottomed followers.

A British friend on FB posted his picture with the message 'so sad' and I thought 'not sad at all, he's great'. Now I get it. Lady and the Unicorn, yeah. That first Pentangle album was an eye opener, though. I don't think they ever quite matched it.

A big, big, big influence on my own stuff. It wasn't the folk aspect - I was okay with folk but never a big fan - it was how they worked the folk vein using a blues/jazz approach. Awesome.

Yaeah, those early Bert/John records before Pentangle were cool too. Those guys just meshed together so naturally. I like Pentangle's Sweet Child a lot. That's the one my folks had. :D

I've never heard it. I'll check it out. I never follow an artist - I just pick stuff up if I happen to hear it and like it. Pretty much how my love life's worked out as well.

Gee, you know what? I don't think I'm going to bite. It's good, but it locates itself square in the folk vein, and it just doesn't work like Pentangle 1 does.

Pentangle 1

Lady and the Unicorn

Rosemary Lane

Gold.

Back