Jeff Lynne - ELO 2013 Performance

Mr. Blue Sky was the first time I'd ever heard a vocodor. Never realized at the time how much I'd learn to hate them in music...liked this song ok in it's day.
As far as retro musicians. Just ask Jani Lane. Well, I guess you can't anymore.
Music didn't die in 1978, it was 1981. Or, according to Don McLean, 1972. :D

What's the deal with ELO? Why the strong dislike? I don't get it. It makes no difference to me one way or another. I'm just wondering. And unlike some people I don't take it personally. It's just like food: some people like broccoli, and some don't. LOL!

What's the deal with ELO? Why the strong dislike? I don't get it. It makes no difference to me one way or another. I'm just wondering. And unlike some people I don't take it personally. It's just like food: some people like broccoli, and some don't. LOL!

Well, for me, ELO was just a different flavour of fairly average pop music - they had a violinist, or cellist, or whatever in the band and they got all this rap about being some fantastic avante-garde ensemble. "Living Thing" -the absolute tweeness of the backing vocals always got up my nose. One song I know but that's all it takes some times.

Simply amazing

Really good solid pop. I never listened to ELO back in the day, but I really like these two songs here. The first time I ever listened closely to Jeff Lynn was when he did that stuff with the Wilburys.

Why do you even care if anyone likes that shit or not? Just like it for yourself and be done with it. Discopop!

I think bout the only song I liked to any extent was that telephone line song. Their backup vocals in general kinda got on my wick.

Saw a live special of theirs on HBO back in the late 70s, I guess it was. The cello guy was throwing out all stops with his best rock star moves when he went head over heals 'cross his cello. Best part of the entire show.

1981 Boston was about done .... BLINK .... 1991, Hey look its Pearl Jam... world is ok again, take off your earmuffs now. ELO was a little light for the 70's imo...

Why do you even care if anyone likes that shit or not? Just like it for yourself and be done with it. Discopop!
LOL! Hell, I don't care. I just found it amusing that some people didn't just not like ELO, but disliked them with extreme prejudice. Like ELO pissed in their coffee pot or something. Or stole their favorite Les Paul! LOL! Anyone remember 10 CC?
:wtf:

Last edited:
LOL! Hell, I don't care. I just found it amusing that some people didn't just not like ELO, but disliked them with extreme prejudice. Like ELO pissed in their coffee pot or something. Or stole their favorite Les Paul! LOL! Anyone remember 10 CC?
:wtf:

That's how people are - especially on the internet. You can't just passively dislike some kind of music. You have to viciously despise it and everyone that likes it. Music preferences are religion, and religion is war.

That's how people are - especially on the internet. You can't just passively dislike some kind of music. You have to viciously despise it and everyone that likes it. Music preferences are religion, and religion is war.
Good thing words aren't bullets or you and I would be riddled with bullet holes! We'd look like Bonnie and Clyde shortly after they'd met their demise!LOL!

Good thing words aren't bullets or you and I would be riddled with bullet holes! We'd look like Bonnie and Clyde shortly after they'd met their demise!LOL!

It's hilariously common for internet retards to bash the Ramones as an attack against me. It happens probably at least once a week in here. Like I'm supposed get upset with that as if I was in the band or something. I don't even think the Ramones themselves would give a shit what some idiot on the internet says, so why should I? People that tie their own self-worth into bands they like are goofs. It's equally, maybe even more goofy, to use musical preference as an attack. Sure, banter and poking fun is pretty commonplace, but to seriously use something like that as an insult is just dumb.

It's hilariously common for internet retards to bash the Ramones as an attack against me. It happens probably at least once a week in here. Like I'm supposed get upset with that as if I was in the band or something. I don't even think the Ramones themselves would give a shit what some idiot on the internet says, so why should I? People that tie their own self-worth into bands they like are goofs. It's equally, maybe even more goofy, to use musical preference as an attack. Sure, banter and poking fun is pretty commonplace, but to seriously use something like that as an insult is just dumb.
You are absolutely right. I could care less. I'm a big Alice Cooper, Sex Pistols, Stooges fan. If someone says they blow I don't give shit! They're probably Dream Theatre fans. Boring!

Jeff Lynn - ruined the ELO idea - the 1st album with Roy Wood was excellent (even in quad) but after tha - & after Lynne learnt to write songs in his given style) it was pap for ever.
He should also NEVER produce anyone but himself - he has no selfcontrol: Harrison & the entire Willburys had his awful backing vocal styling over everything. He produces himself pretty well but can't help but use the same template elsewhere. It could be laziness or hubris but I think he just doesn't have the "producer" concept of recording and bringing the best from someone else's material in is head.
I thought I was being a bit unfair so I went back to the OP and watched/listened. Seriously, take away the stringish arrangement and it's very, very pedestrian pop - probably not even pop enough to chart back then without the WoW strings'n'things factor.
AND then there was Xanadu! I remember singing at the time - "Xanadu - makes me spew, Oh I feel sick, this is just too slick." I don't think I've chaned my opinion - but then I'm a grumpy old man.

Last edited:
Jeff Lynn - ruined the ELO idea - the 1st album with Roy Wood was excellent (even in quad) but after tha - & after Lynne learnt to write songs in his given style) it was pap for ever.
He should also NEVER produce anyone but himself - he has no selfcontrol: Harrison & the entire Willburys had his awful backing vocal styling over everything. He produces himself pretty well but can't help but use the same template elsewhere. It could be laziness or hubris but I think he just doesn't have the "producer" concept of recording and bringing the best from someone else's material in is head.
I thought I was being a bit unfair so I went back to the OP and watched/listened. Seriously, take away the stringish arrangement and it's very, very pedestrian pop - probably not even pop enough to chart back then without the WoW strings'n'things factor.
AND then there was Xanadu! I remember singing at the time - "Xanadu - makes me spew, Oh I feel sick, this is just too slick." I don't think I've chaned my opinion - but then I'm a grumpy old man.

I did a Greg-style cover of Xanadu a few years ago. I don't think I've ever let anyone hear it. It's that gay.

I always liked ELO because it had this eery Beethoven/violin stuff in it, the choirparts were always mesmerizing to me, the opera like stuff was mixing classical from generations ago, all into the modern rock world. And for a lot of HiFi heads his recordings were pretty fantastic on the old amps and speakers of the times, especially headphones.
He obviously did very very well doing his own thing, he didnt copy people and that was Jeff Lynne, I guess? producing.
Queen did the large choirs too, or the producers did, that large huge sound was cool.

I think like eating too much of the same food though, it was refreshing to eventually move on and get back to the basic garage band stuff, guitars and drums and amps...."simple" became the new again. personally I was about glam rocked out after awhile with all the huge hair and large stage acts getting larger and larger and larger until there were 5000 Marshal amps and dragons blowing enough confetti to fill the auditorium... but it was really cool in its day.

theres room for it all, I still love Chuck Berry b&w films too in mono, tiny amps and no stage gear,but "its got a backbeat you cant lose it..."

ok time to go do some more crack..

Back