jamstix

That's the thing though.....regular people don't care. We might talk about SRV's string gauge and tube choice and amp settings. Joe blow music listener just hears a guy playing a guitar. Joe blow doesn't care if SRV's neck is maple or rosewood. These same people can listen to that gay Phil Collins song and not even realize that his drums sound absolutely nothing like real drums. They hear the beat and a percussive sound and think "that's the drums". People are dumb. They're easy to please. Just give em something to listen to.

A bit rough today. Now I remember why I don't drink home brew.....

I made the decision to buy the Green Machine when I was sober. lol! Had one as a kid. Destroyed it. They make them with a steel frame, brakes, and a freewheel hub now. I'm 6' and had to mover the seat up. Obviously, Huffy is marketing for old kids like me.

A bunch of my 'over 40' friends are going to get one as well. Forming a gang. We are writing/recording a song, and planning on filming a race down Red Rocks. Gonna be a ridiculously stupid fun time. Hoping Huffy sues us, or makes it into a commercial. :)

The Green Machine is a classic piece of USA 70's kid history. I was a little young when they were in their heyday.

That's the thing though.....regular people don't care. We might talk about SRV's string gauge and tube choice and amp settings. Joe blow music listener just hears a guy playing a guitar. Joe blow doesn't care if SRV's neck is maple or rosewood. These same people can listen to that gay Phil Collins song and not even realize that his drums sound absolutely nothing like real drums. They hear the beat and a percussive sound and think "that's the drums". People are dumb. They're easy to please. Just give em something to listen to.

Cool. thanks.

I had a big wheel with the handbrake in the back. You could get going real fast and yank that brake and do fishtails all over the place until you flipped out and bashed your head on the curb. Good times.

I think the main reason I am a member of this site, is due to the head injuries I incurred in my Green Machine years. That and dirty girls. :)

Stevie ray Vaughan was a musician’s musician. I’m just trying to compose some music that somebody out there might like. I doubt if I would ever be considered a musician of any order, because being a musician takes talent. I only know what sounds good to me, and I hope that is enough. :D
Now, at some point if can pull it off, so you can’t really tell if its real drums or not, then that would make me happy, but I’m not holding my breath. :D

You sound a lot like me. Same attitude towards it all. I don't give myself misconceptions about my music. I do it all for me and someone else likes then that's cool.

I think I understand, so bear with me. I just got back from Watching both Lincoln and Skyfall. One was sold out, so instead of a wasted trip we stayed for one and then watched the other. During the trailers before Skyfall, it was one CGI explosion/monster movie after another. In one, there was this huge building built on stilts that ended up falling to the bottom of the canyon below. When Mel Gibson tied his truck to the stilts of the bad guys house in Lethal Weapon 2, and pulled it down into the canyon, it wasn’t CGI back then but It was exciting. The destruction of this fake mansion in this trailer today was much larger, and the audience seemed to think it was great, but all I saw was a CGI cartoon, probably substituting for a real plot. At that point it hit me that this is how you real drummers see a drum machine. A poor cost saving imitation of real life. Not exciting, dramatic, or even interesting except to a 16 year old kid. However, those CG- toons make a lot of money, so someone must find them interesting enough to pay to watch.
Thanks.

Cool. thanks.

DUDE, Big wheel! I didnt have the hand brake, I just locked up the front wheel till I flat spotted it!

Then out came the duct tape! Got my son a big wheel last christmas, it was awesome watching him in the driveway doing the same things I had done!

Anyway, back to drum machines or whatever....

DUDE, Big wheel! I didnt have the hand brake, I just locked up the front wheel till I flat spotted it!

Then out came the duct tape! Got my son a big wheel last christmas, it was awesome watching him in the driveway doing the same things I had done!

Anyway, back to drum machines or whatever....

The flat spot on the big wheel was a common thing. There's no coming back from that. It's done.

Scoff at my EZD, but I think I'm getting fairly decent results. Aren't I ??
Yes, yes you are. It was actually your drumwork on your two albums "Gravity" and "Stranded" that were partly responsible for mellowing my attitude and opinion of drum software. I wouldn't personally use them but I no longer have a thing about their use and that was quite a step for me. I felt the songs were so strong that what was used as instrumentation was irrelevant, same as some of the mid 90s R&B that came forth from Laurnea, Erykah Badu, Des'ree, Angie Stone, Curtis Mayfield, US3, Seal, Omar,Tony Rich project and Anne Nesby and their ilk.

Yes, yes you are. It was actually your drumwork on your two albums "Gravity" and "Stranded" that were partly responsible for mellowing my attitude and opinion of drum software. I wouldn't personally use them but I no longer have a thing about their use and that was quite a step for me. I felt the songs were so strong that what was used as instrumentation was irrelevant, same as some of the mid 90s R&B that came forth from Laurnea, Erykah Badu, Des'ree, Angie Stone, Curtis Mayfield, US3, Seal, Omar,Tony Rich project and Anne Nesby and their ilk.

thats great news. I'll have to listen to them this weekend.

Wow, that's cool Tag. THANKS!!! Well, maybe not Stranded, that CD sucks. But Gravity came out better!!

You got me wrapped up with some big names. :o Some so big, they only have one name!!! :D

Jokerone said:
I'll have to listen to them this weekend.

Thanks. Hope you enjoy. :)

Wow, that's cool Tag. THANKS!!! Well, maybe not Stranded, that CD sucks. But Gravity came out better!!

You got me wrapped up with some big names. :o Some so big, they only have one name!!! :D

Thanks. Hope you enjoy. :)

So all the drums on the Gravity Album are EZD? What else did you use? thanks.

Yes, all EZD and their expansion packs, like Latin Percussion. I didn't use anything else.

Yes, all EZD and their expansion packs, like Latin Percussion. I didn't use anything else.

No VSTs? Just wondering. I love to see what someone who knows what they are doing can make that stuff work well.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, I use VST's. Sometimes I make dramatic changes to EZD with plugs, like gating and compression. Sometimes, I don't do much at all.

I use UAD plugs mostly, usually the Neve 88RS plug for the kick, snare and overheads. Lately I've been putting a reverb just on the room mic and adjusting levels to taste. On the Gravity cd, I didn't use the room mic and put reverb sends on the snare, hihats and overheads. Sometimes, I didn't use reverb or very little. The drums have a nice natural room reverb already, so not always need to add more.

Every song is different and I adjust to how I want it to sound. I always go into the midi data and edit individual drum hits like how I imagine a drummer would do it. I used to play drums in high school so I have a vague idea of how they might do it. Ha!! But that was too long ago to mention. :D

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, I use VST's. Sometimes I make dramatic changes to EZD with plugs, like gating and compression. Sometimes, I don't do much at all.

I use UAD plugs mostly, usually the Neve 88RS plug for the kick, snare and overheads. Lately I've been putting a reverb just on the room mic and adjusting levels to taste. On the Gravity cd, I didn't use the room mic and put reverb sends on the snare, hihats and overheads. Sometimes, I didn't use reverb or very little. The drums have a nice natural room reverb already, so not always need to add more.

Every song is different and I adjust to how I want it to sound. I always go into the midi data and edit individual drum hits like how I imagine a drummer would do it. I used to play drums in high school so I have a vague idea of how they might do it. Ha!! But that was too long ago to mention. :D

Cool. thanks!

Back