It's kind of personal now. "Pot Of Gold"

PoeticIntensity

MagicJones.com (is a website)
So, I recently had to go to Vegas for my FT job, and while I was there I had an idea for a song. This is the result.

By far the hardest / heaviest song I've ever written. I'm pretty sure the lyrics are completely unintelligible, but I kind of like it that way.

Comments about anything are encouraged and welcomed.

I also would really appreciate a rippin' guitar solo for the boring middle part before I decide to put a synth solo in. :D :spank:

Pot Of Gold

New Butt-Kickin' Mix with Brad's sick solo!

Re-mixed New Butt-Kickin' Mix with Brad's sick solo! (3rd time's a charm!)

De-Satanized - Re-mixed New Butt-Kickin' Mix with Brad's sick solo!

Lyrics:

Searching...
For the love of my life.
For the one that was striped
for the unbroken line.

It's bent.
Imperfect, at best.
Tainted with rust.
In my desire I will trust.

Yeah. If you follow the rainbow
The world will show you where to go
Let its goodness overflow.

Fantasy is all that it seems
Just lay down and dream
and forget what you've seen.

We're all right.
Our service makes you smile
We'll take you on for miles.
Till your pockets are all dry.

Yeah...
If you follow the rainbow

(Rippin' guitar solo should go here)

Go on...
It's here for you to take.
We'll smile as you break.
...and watch your world go down in flames!

Last edited:
Dude, I'll get on that guitar solo for you! I don't know about 'rippin', but I can make some fitting noise I think. I really like this tune man. I love the main guitar riff with the harmonic 'chingles' in there. The guitar tone sounds like you stole a kids practice amp, kicked it on with a jack boot, took a dirty dime-store guitar and let rip while the amp lied face first in a pool of blood!:eek: I kinda like it :D. Just a thought on the vox though...I know the vibe you are going for, but why not back off the distortion a bit or, at times, and let us hear some of that great performance? The whole song is great, but I'd like it to kick me in the teeth more and maybe a little cup-check too! :eek::spank: More low end? Vocals out more? Just thoughts....

I think it sounds balanced. I think the only suggestions I might have would be personal preference issues. For example...the guitars sound over-gained to me, but I think it's an intentional effect. Similar thing with the vocal doubling/phasing...it's a sound that works, even though I wouldn't do it that way.

Enjoyed it.

Dude, I'll get on that guitar solo for you! I don't know about 'rippin', but I can make some fitting noise I think. I really like this tune man. I love the main guitar riff with the harmonic 'chingles' in there. The guitar tone sounds like you stole a kids practice amp, kicked it on with a jack boot, took a dirty dime-store guitar and let rip while the amp lied face first in a pool of blood!:eek: I kinda like it :D. Just a thought on the vox though...I know the vibe you are going for, but why not back off the distortion a bit or, at times, and let us hear some of that great performance? The whole song is great, but I'd like it to kick me in the teeth more and maybe a little cup-check too! :eek::spank: More low end? Vocals out more? Just thoughts....

Yeah, dude. Can't thank you enough for doing that solo so quickly. Wow.. I also thought the song needed to kick a little more. Turns out the guitars were too low, and the vocals were too high. Upped the guitars a lot, and turned the vocals down a bit, Gave it less fizz and more guts, I believe.

Nothin' but love for ya, man. Thanks again.

I think it sounds balanced. I think the only suggestions I might have would be personal preference issues. For example...the guitars sound over-gained to me, but I think it's an intentional effect. Similar thing with the vocal doubling/phasing...it's a sound that works, even though I wouldn't do it that way.

Enjoyed it.

Hey Chris! Thanks for weighing in.. Yeah... I'm gonna let this sit for a few days, and revisit it to see if I think it's too fizzy. I've been working on it consistently for too long to have any opinion about it now. Thanks!!

Very Vegas sounding. :D Great job poetic!

Thanks for the listen, man. Happy Mother's Day! :D :cool: :eek: :confused:

It was fun to do Jason! I was glad to be able to give something back for a change :) and on Mother's Day too - Oh shoot, wife's commin' gotta go! :eek:

What a damn great tune!
Dirty, freaky, kick-ass stuff, very groovy too. I like the mix the way it is, maybe a bit less effect on the voice in the chorus, but, hell, if that's what you were going for, it's all good. Nice solo, Brad!
Really like this, Jason!:)

What a damn great tune!
Dirty, freaky, kick-ass stuff, very groovy too. I like the mix the way it is, maybe a bit less effect on the voice in the chorus, but, hell, if that's what you were going for, it's all good. Nice solo, Brad!

Yea, man , Jason tapped into a hell of a vibe here and I just had to jump on this bandwagon too :D Wondering where you been Joe; thought you were on a European vacation or something :).

Great work, nice recording, definately a mean groove, captures the emotion. (I'd like the vocal a touch more) but you mentioned you prefer it blended so cool.

Enjoyed the listen.

Alright, listening to the new mix. I like the sound a lot. I think the snare can use some Alice in Chains style reverb. You know... POW! POW! POW! I think the fuzziness on the vocals is a bit too much to listen to at times. It's harsh... Everything else sounds pretty good. Bass tone is good. Guitar tone isn't my favorite, but it works. Nice solo. :D

Cool. The guitar tone really threw me at the intro, but when the drums/bass kicked in, it all kind of fit...then your voice! Whoa. The higher, almost whining parts sound really cool. Drums and bass sound really good on this.

I really think that when you get that guitar sound going in conjunction with the distorted vocals, they sum together to create an excess of some upper mid frequencies that are a bit harsh. I dunno, could just be my set up.

Guitar solo sounded good and especially impressive given how quickly it came together! This thread was only up 10 hours and you already had it mixed in there!

The intro was part man Who Sold the World & part something from Diamond Dogs the verse hit in like the more manic parts of All the Madmen.
The guitar solo works a treat. Though it did sound a bit distant in parts.
I like the processing of the vocals - it suits the maniacal
Melodically it's a little familiar - but that could be because I'm listening for the 3rd time......
I really enjoyed this - nothing like an antidote song.

I'd like to hear the guitars with less gain and more beef. Hard to get rid of the gain now but you could maybe eq a smidge of low end back. Or maybe the bass needs more bottom. Guitar intro reminded me of Love is Like Oxygen. Nice job on the vocals, the distorted parts work well. Good effort on this, I really like the tune

I really liked the vocals. I'm probably just crazy, but they made me think of Pink Floyd. ???

Anyway, cool tune! :D

Too much fizz for me. The harsh vocals and cheap-ish sounding guitars are just too much. It sounds like I've got a ripped speaker cone. The snare is a bit weak in the mix and is getting lost most of the time. It only really pops out during fills. Hit harder! It definitely needs better presence. The leads sound great, but they don't really fit in the mix with those fizzbomb guitars all around it. The master compression certainly has compounded the mix problems. I like the song and the angst, but the tones and mix are killing it for me. :o

Good one Jason...got a good sound to it, something a little different

I like the performance and the arrangement..and the vocal delivery is great, almost an instrument in itself, almost the Dead Kennedys

without reading the comments I would have said the guitars are a bit fizzy, not that I can get any better a tone, and not that it bothers me that much, but a little more meat wouldve sounded good

after reading gregs comments I can hear what he means about the snare being hit a little harder and Brad solo does sound a bit cleaner than the rest of it

not sure I wouldve thought of it, or spotted it, without Greg mentioning first though

all in all I really like the style, I think this is a vein you should explore more

What a damn great tune!

Hey, Joey. Thanks! After stepping away from it for a day, I think I agree with the general consensus that everything needs to be less fizzy. I like the metallic tone of the chugga's, but the actual strum tone needs more beef.

Great work, nice recording, definately a mean groove, captures the emotion. (I'd like the vocal a touch more) but you mentioned you prefer it blended so cool.

Enjoyed the listen.

thank you, PDP. Thanks for commenting on the emotion. This is one I definitely can feel when I sing (or scream).

Alright, listening to the new mix. I like the sound a lot. I think the snare can use some Alice in Chains style reverb. You know... POW! POW! POW! I think the fuzziness on the vocals is a bit too much to listen to at times. It's harsh... Everything else sounds pretty good. Bass tone is good. Guitar tone isn't my favorite, but it works. Nice solo. :D

Thanks for the comment, Squib! I'm probably gonna re-do the vocals / guitars with less fizz. This genre is a huge step out of my comfort zone in recording, so... still taking baby steps.

Cool. The guitar tone really threw me at the intro, but when the drums/bass kicked in, it all kind of fit...then your voice! Whoa. The higher, almost whining parts sound really cool. Drums and bass sound really good on this.

I really think that when you get that guitar sound going in conjunction with the distorted vocals, they sum together to create an excess of some upper mid frequencies that are a bit harsh. I dunno, could just be my set up.

Guitar solo sounded good and especially impressive given how quickly it came together! This thread was only up 10 hours and you already had it mixed in there!

Yeah... Thanks, Pete. Brad was on this like, crazy fast - and he cranked out a great solo to boot! Yeah... I agree with the harshness. Gotta figure that out.

The intro was part man Who Sold the World & part something from Diamond Dogs the verse hit in like the more manic parts of All the Madmen.
The guitar solo works a treat. Though it did sound a bit distant in parts.
I like the processing of the vocals - it suits the maniacal
Melodically it's a little familiar - but that could be because I'm listening for the 3rd time......
I really enjoyed this - nothing like an antidote song.

Thanks so much, Ray. Huge compliment with multiple listens... I'm probably gonna tweak the vocal / guitar tone. Gotta keep the metal tone, adding meat, and taking a bit of the fizz out. Processing will be present, but probably just not quite as much.

Thanks all for the comments! Very helpful place, this is...

Good one Jason...got a good sound to it, something a little different

I like the performance and the arrangement..and the vocal delivery is great, almost an instrument in itself, almost the Dead Kennedys

without reading the comments I would have said the guitars are a bit fizzy, not that I can get any better a tone, and not that it bothers me that much, but a little more meat wouldve sounded good

after reading gregs comments I can hear what he means about the snare being hit a little harder and Brad solo does sound a bit cleaner than the rest of it

not sure I wouldve thought of it, or spotted it, without Greg mentioning first though

all in all I really like the style, I think this is a vein you should explore more

Thanks for the comment, Keith! hehe... Little different? Try "completely out of my comfort zone". Yeah.. This one was a learning experience. Suggestions taken to heart. I'm gonna revisit most of what you recommend.

Too much fizz for me. The harsh vocals and cheap-ish sounding guitars are just too much. It sounds like I've got a ripped speaker cone. The snare is a bit weak in the mix and is getting lost most of the time. It only really pops out during fills. Hit harder! It definitely needs better presence. The leads sound great, but they don't really fit in the mix with those fizzbomb guitars all around it. The master compression certainly has compounded the mix problems. I like the song and the angst, but the tones and mix are killing it for me. :o

Yup. New musical style, new vocal style, new drum mics, and new guitar used. Didn't quite know what would come out. I think I know what I need to do to get a more tame sound with just as much punch.

Drum balance is gonna be tricky here. My first mix had drums stomping all over everything. New one sounds more balanced to me. This one might take a while for me to dial in. Thanks for the comments, Greg.

:laughings: Same to you Poetic.

:laughings: nothin' but love, bro. I think I might have OD'ed on lack of sleep when I said that.

I really liked the vocals. I'm probably just crazy, but they made me think of Pink Floyd. ???

Anyway, cool tune! :D

I wouldn't have thought of it, but hey... I'll take Floyd! Thanks for the comment!

I'd like to hear the guitars with less gain and more beef. Hard to get rid of the gain now but you could maybe eq a smidge of low end back. Or maybe the bass needs more bottom. Guitar intro reminded me of Love is Like Oxygen. Nice job on the vocals, the distorted parts work well. Good effort on this, I really like the tune

Thanks! Gonna revisit and get those parts recorded again with less distortion / fizz. Hopefully it comes out well.

Back