Is there any talk of a pro-tools in between LE and HD?

Back to the original question of a Pro-Tools in-between LE and HD, if you're talking software, there isn't all that much different. However, by the direction of the discussion, I can assume you were talking about the hardware side, vs. the software side.

Hardware-wise, The Digi002/3 is a pretty f*cking sweet piece of kit. If you can't make a good record using the 002 as your interface, you can't make a good record period. To those who feel differently, do you really think you've reached the pinnacle of engineerdom already? Is it really the equipment holding you back? I mean, sure, there are certainly interfaces that WILL hold you back (such as anything with less than 4 inputs), but for God's sake, the thing has 18 inputs to mess with! 4 of which have respectable pre-amps built right in! And the ADAT input gives you the ability to plug in basically any pre-amp out there, with the appropriate A/D converter. The point is, the 002 does not limit your hardware usage up to 18 channels.

To me, the big difference between LE and HD is the processing. With LE you need a monster of a computer to run a shit-ton of resource-intensive plug-ins: with HD, it's all on the cards, so the computer just has to handle the GUI and Hard Drives. So honestly, the step between LE and HD is a faster computer, with a better pre-amp, essentially. Chances are that upgrade will bring you somewhere between the intro price of LE, and the intro price of an HD rig. So there IS a Pro-Tools between LE and HD :)
Makes sense. Thanks for the input!
Although, I wish the whole needing a better computer for LE was different. I use tons of plugins. I hate when it lags when I'm using too many plugins.

Makes sense. Thanks for the input!
Although, I wish the whole needing a better computer for LE was different. I use tons of plugins. I hate when it lags when I'm using too many plugins.

It's the same story with any native based DAW though...

yup same principle with uad and tc powercore cards

although in saying that, cpus are getting pretty damn good. My old p4 2.8ghz could run 1 sometimes 2 amplitubes before PT kicked the bucket, now with my core 2 duo e8500 my best effort has been 17

yup same principle with uad and tc powercore cards

although in saying that, cpus are getting pretty damn good. My old p4 2.8ghz could run 1 sometimes 2 amplitubes before PT kicked the bucket, now with my core 2 duo e8500 my best effort has been 17
Amplitudes?

Amplitudes?

No no; Amplitube. It's a guitar amp sim plugin. He meant he could run two instances of the plugin on his old system...

Yes, by Native I meant processed by the host computer. With the same computer, an HD system is definitely going to be much much more powerful - it has the HD card for processing, as well as the host PC.

Back