Is there any behringer gear that is "good"?

I had a 4-ch Behringer headphone amp, that seemed to work fine. I sold it before it had a chance to explode a pair of headphones, leaving me permenantly deaf. Using Behringer gear is like playing Russian Roulette. It's not a matter of "if" it'll blow up, just a matter of "when".

I have: Behringer Mixer UB1832FX-Pro, for that price its Good, little noisy PREs, well its kinda noisy itself, bad for recording( ironicaly, thats what for i use it), actualyy pretty good effects... well not as good as Lexicon or something... the layout is a duplicate of MACKIE!!!
Behringer COMPOSER Pro-XL, for me, Perfect.
Behringer GEQ3102, pretty good, actually, i noticed when the EQ is in the 6 db range mode, and i cut frequency all the way there comes more noise...
Actually most of my stuff is BEHRINGER.

so far so good

I use B products

ADA8000/digi converter

BCF2000/control surface for PT

MX3282a-32 trax console

so far so good ..some of its 2-3 years old

Vadim said:
I have: Behringer Mixer UB1832FX-Pro, for that price its Good, little noisy PREs, well its kinda noisy itself, bad for recording( ironicaly, thats what for i use it), actualyy pretty good effects... well not as good as Lexicon or something... the layout is a duplicate of MACKIE!!!

How can something be GOOD if it's "kinda' noisey" or "not as good as Lexicon"?

I just ordered a BCF2000 controller; I'm sick of using the mouse. There is nothing like this on the market - similar, but this seems to be an original design. I'll use it until I can work up to a Mackie or Tascam control surface. Plus there's an added advantage - no Behringer preamps.... ;)

*ooh* hatin on Behringer. Well, I'll join in. I've owned a couple of different pieces of Behringer gear, and it has all worked pretty well. The Tube Ultragain is an all right mic pre, but you could do better for the same price or less. I also have a UB2222-FX board, or whatever number it is, and yea, it served me well for a year before i bought my Yamaha MG32... the Behringer is noisy, and doesn't handle signals properly... I run DA-38s out to the Yamaha now, and the signal coming into the Yamaha matches what the DA-38 says it is putting out (the dB meters match) - thewy never matched on the Behringer... no matter how I set the thing up. And considering the fact that I wasn't adding gain to the inputs from the digital recorder, that just isn't right. The headphone preamp was noisy as all Hell and used to pickup radio stations, and the rest of it was just okay. Again - you can do better for around the same price, although, for starting out, it wasn't a bad piece of gear. I think the only Behringer item I own that I think is golden is the DI100. I have used this to direct-input bass, acoustic guitar and other instrument-level devices to a preamp (to power the thing via phantom power), and send the signal to my recorders, and it sounds amazing. Doesn't add a bit of noise as far as I've used it. Of course, basing your entire company's quality and reputation on a 30 dollar DI box ain't sayin much.

Not sure if this has been said before but:

Behringer takes most of their design circuitry from larger named companies. A lot of their microphones are taken from the design of say a lot of high end AKG mics for example.

The reason they can then sell these designs for cheap, is, well, they make them cheap! Cheap labour, cheap parts etc.

Often, Behringer will find a lawsuit at their doorstep when a company finds out about the rip off. You know what Behringer does? They dont go to court, they just pay the company in question whatever they're asking and continue production. Behringer is there to make money, and make money only.

It is true however that Behringer provides the budget conscious producer with excellently designed units, that if functioning properly, in theory, should be the same quality as that of a more expensive unit based upon the same design.

So it is up to you as to whether or not Behringer is "good". What has been reiterated many times in this thread, often you will find a Behringer product that has completely missed quality control and therefore is not a good unit. If that unit was manufactured correctly, then you may have an astounding unit on your hands.

Hope this clears some things up.

Hoyton, I don't know if I'd necessarily go that far.

Yes, a lot of their designs are reverse-engineered, but oddly enough, it isn't often that you'll see them ripping off a really good unit to begin with. About the highest-end unit I've ever seen them rip off is a dbx (And no, their Composer isn't actually a copy of a Drawmer, as has been wrongly assumed through the years).

Secondly, you're not going to find a lot of high quality components under the hood. They tend to cut corners and use cheaper opamps, cheaper caps, power supplies that aren't necessarily the cleanest, etc. Granted, these are also areas where companies like Mackie will cut corners as well, so it certainly wouldn't be a huge stretch to suggest that you're getting something relatively on par with a Mackie or a dbx (but for less money) ...

... but to suggest one is getting "an astounding unit" would be stretching things beyond the reality of the situation, unfortunately. Wish it were the case.

MISTERQCUE said:
How can something be GOOD if it's "kinda' noisey" or "not as good as Lexicon"?

That's what I'm wondering. Noisy pres, and noisy in general - what would make that a good product? BUT, if it looks and is laid out like a Mackie...

warble2 said:
Not so much.

Then you don't understand.

chessrock had some good points in that, ok, Behringer MAY have some original designs, but I would be very skeptical. The point here is that Behringer takes portions, if not entire designs of proven hardware (not neccesarily good, my mistake) and then resells them for much cheaper due to mass production, cheaper capacitors (and what chessrock mentioned) and weaker craftsmanship (messy solders etc..).

Finally, by "astounding unit" I did mean for the price. For instance, the ADA8000 or whatever I've heard is a fairly versatile interface, which costs about 4 times less than my Aardvark Q10 and contains many, if not more, of the same features. If all is in perfect working order, then you have a very useable DAW interface (one would say astounding for that price, even).

warble2 said:
That's what I'm wondering. Noisy pres, and noisy in general - what would make that a good product? BUT, if it looks and is laid out like a Mackie...

Of course with shoddy components and unshielded grounds or whatever, you're going to have noise in your pres etc. I remember seeing an article about someone who bought a knockoff computer motherboard and replaced all the components with high end parts (sorry can't find the link), and there was a noticeable difference in stability. Pertaining to this subject, I'm not sure if it's viable, however, the concept is still the same.

If it looks like it's Laid out like a Mackie, and you think that Mackie has a good design, then it's of decent design. As stated earlier, the design is flawed by the craftsmanship.

I'm still going to stick by my original post and say that Behringer isn't all terrible. They offer a line of products that work, and work well enough, for the budget minded hobbyist or producer.

Hoyton said:
Then you don't understand.

chessrock had some good points in that, ok, Behringer MAY have some original designs, but I would be very skeptical. The point here is that Behringer takes portions, if not entire designs of proven hardware (not neccesarily good, my mistake) and then resells them for much cheaper due to mass production, cheaper capacitors (and what chessrock mentioned) and weaker craftsmanship (messy solders etc..).

Finally, by "astounding unit" I did mean for the price. For instance, the ADA8000 or whatever I've heard is a fairly versatile interface, which costs about 4 times less than my Aardvark Q10 and contains many, if not more, of the same features. If all is in perfect working order, then you have a very useable DAW interface (one would say astounding for that price, even).

Of course with shoddy components and unshielded grounds or whatever, you're going to have noise in your pres etc. I remember seeing an article about someone who bought a knockoff computer motherboard and replaced all the components with high end parts (sorry can't find the link), and there was a noticeable difference in stability. Pertaining to this subject, I'm not sure if it's viable, however, the concept is still the same.

If it looks like it's Laid out like a Mackie, and you think that Mackie has a good design, then it's of decent design. As stated earlier, the design is flawed by the craftsmanship.

I'm still going to stick by my original post and say that Behringer isn't all terrible. They offer a line of products that work, and work well enough, for the budget minded hobbyist or producer.

I was being sarcastic. I've been here since 1999 and I've seen enough Behringer threads to last me a lifetime (actually reading all of them again would take me a good part of it). What you've said has been covered to a great degree already. I'm not disagreeing or not understanding you, my eyes are just tired.

Also, the Aardvark Q10 is not the same thing as the ADA8000. Let's say I had just a computer and no other audio interface, how would the ADA8000 be useful to me? It wouldn't unless I had something to connect it to - like an interface with ADAT or inputs I could use to connect from the ADA8000's line outs.

Last edited:
No disrespect intended, however, I'm sure for the initial poster it may have shed some light on the subject.

The behringer interface was used solely as example. I suppose I should have done more research before making such an apocryphal and appalling assumption.

Cheers Warble

Hoyton said:
...I should have done more research before making such an apocryphal and appalling assumption.

Cheers Warble

I like the words apocryphal and appalling, but the line above seems a wee bit dramatic. :D

The ADA8000 is indubitably a great value for the features it offers, and a lot of people adamantly tout it as such.

Last edited:
I just read through all 4 pages of this thread. I'll bet there were at least 50, maybe 100, posts that said the following. "I have a Behringer (insert model here,) and it works fine."

The fact is that we live in an age where a lot of us really DO want cheap stuff. We shop at WalMart because it is full of cheap stuff. Most of us seek out the cheapest we can find of almost everything. We buy cheap generic drugs, gasoline, sunglasses, coffee makers, jewelry, sneakers, digital cameras, cheeseburgers, and even our toothbrushes. Hell, there must be close to a billion Hyundais and Kias running around out there. I'd be willing to bet the keyboard you are pecking on cost less than $20 US.

We also live in an era where thousands, if not tens of thousands, of young people will purchase recording gear only to lose interest after they discover that they cannot make it sound right. The equipment will probably end up sitting in a closet, sold at a yard sale or Ebay, or handed down to some other young idiot who also won't know how to use it.

I think it is good that cheap stuff is available to those who are only dabbling as a hobby or simply want to track a few song ideas in the bedroom. Most of those people are not making recordings to be sold in a major market, so who cares if it only sounds mediocre. If and when they gain more skill and/or decide to pursue a career in recording, they can always upgrade.

I don't think anyone should shout at them and insist that they buy the expensive stuff right from the start. I say save your breath and let it be.

RawDepth

apocryphal
is my word for the day , i had to google it to figure out what it meant so that i can use it in the right context :D but i do plan to use it around 50 times today when speaking to clients ;)

On another note I use a behringer ultradyne Pro and a virtualizer 1024 and both units have been used in my soundtrack productions for commercial use ;) so in essence rawdepth i tend to agree with you to some extent.

Heck, pick up "Behind The Glass" and note just how many real A-list producers and engineers recording A-list commercial albums by A-list artists use some home consumer based "budget" gear. Everything from Behringer compressors to TC finalizers to Zoom stomp boxes. I think the biggest misinformation out there is from the people who say these pros used a piece of cheap gear to get a certain low-fi sound, instead of using them for their intended purpose. Face it, cheap gear it used on major label albums, hit songs and multi million sellers .. like it or not.

Behringer was not a bad company in the beginning, but outsourcing brought a decline in QC. If it says made in Germany on the product I would have no problem using it. In fact Behringer had some outstanding products in the early 90’s.

Made in China is another story. This is not a slam on the Chinese people. The designing it here and manufacturing it over their model just hasn’t worked out for a lot of companies… or rather it hasn’t worked out for their customers. ;)

The Studio Denoiser MK III is a case in point. IMO, the newer SNR2000 just doesn't stand up to it.

Last edited:
Back