Is the neumann m149 the best vocal studio microphone ?

don't go to a store.

Go to a high-end studio.

Rent some time...

try some mics...

see what you (and the engineer?) might think.

If you spend $1000 at a studio and come up with a good decision you are happy with, then consider that $1000 well spent.

(then go pick up a sm57 and scream some thrash vocals and write a song about all the money you just saved!!) [/QUOTE]

Great Idea. I'd suggest it also. It sure will cost you much less than $1000 for a couple hours at even a high-end studio.

don't go to a store.

Go to a high-end studio.

Rent some time...

try some mics...

If you spend $1000 at a studio and come up with a good decision you are happy with, then consider that $1000 well spent.

(then go pick up a sm57 and scream some thrash vocals and write a song about all the money you just saved!!) [/QUOTE]

Great Idea. I'd suggest it also. It sure will cost you much less than $1000 for a couple hours at even a high-end studio.

don't go to a store.

Go to a high-end studio.

Rent some time...

try some mics...

don't go to a store.

Go to a high-end studio.

Rent some time...

try some mics...

Gabriel Sousa said:
i know, Tastes are different.

i would like to test the:

Neumann m149
Brauner VM1a tube
Lawson L251
Lawson L47MP
Soundelux Elux-251

but the real problem, were i will test them ?

i am from Portugal europe, here the stores dont have $1000 mics in stock.

thats why i need to know what people think
Don't hesitate to buy the ELUX 251, it's a great sounding mic (I have one that I use for my personal vox mic). I'm waiting for Soundelux to give the U99 it's facelift, then I'm going to pop for one of them as well.

For what it's worth, I did a mic "test" about a year ago that included the M149. (also tested were a RodeNT1, Oktava319, Studio Projects T3, and a TLM103).
Another area studio owner came down to talk shop... and he brought the two Neumanns. We lined 'em up with some of my mics, and a friend of mine sang part of "killing me softly" into each one. I recorded it through stock Yamaha O2R preamps into Sonar. The music you hear is bleed (this singer doesn't do headphones... the music bleed is from a monitor.)
So yes, this is a totally unscientifically controlled, lame attempt at a test. In my defense, I didn't have much time to work with, and my friend with the Mics wasn't there to do a mic test, he was there for other reasons.

I've posted 5 wave files on my server. Each is just under 10MB, so I hope you're not dial-up.

http://songs.gorbyrun.com/

the User Name is "gorby" and the password is "atlantis"

The T3 and M149 were set cardoid.

Sorry the test isn't great, I tried to be fair... but both the T3 and M149 require adjustments to their polar patterns to find the best sound. Further, better preamps would reveal more...

Hope this helps...

Me too.

Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

I used the m149 for a full album about half a year ago. If you can't get a clip I'll put one up for you but it really has no meaning other then the specific voice you hear on the recording.

All in all I would consider it a very nice mic but I wasnt blown away by it considering the price the studio payed for it. I Don't know how much it is in your country but here it's over priced.

I'll see if I can get a post up tonight.

:confused:

I don't know guys, I've been using this method to post and retrieve files for a while, I've never had a problem before. I double checked... there are no quotes just

gorby

atlantis

If no one can get in, I'll try removing the password later today.

FWIW, if you listen to the folk example, you'll hear backing vocals, a violin, an upright bass, an accordeon and an acoustic guitar.

It was all recorded by M149's.

very nice vocal sound, Shailet. Out of curiosity, was I hearing plosives at various points and a fair amount of sibilence? Sounds like she was VERY close to the mic. Less than 1/2 foot?

did you track the music to this also? very nice genre and talant there, you lucky sob.

mixmkr said:
very nice vocal sound, Shailet. Out of curiosity, was I hearing plosives at various points and a fair amount of sibilence? Sounds like she was VERY close to the mic. Less than 1/2 foot?

If I remember correctly she was quiet close. We were going for a intimate - hear every breath - sound. But I do remember that I also went a bit heavy on the compressor as we had a level problem already during tracking. She was quite finiky.

I'm was at the time and still look for an "exciting" sound when I apply to ballads, reverb.... sometimes at the expense of a bit of
sibilence. It has to feel exciting when I take a step back. Many times I'll try a nice smooth reverb and it will sound good but it doesnt really "Move" me.

did you track the music to this also? very nice genre and talant there, you lucky sob.

This was a total mock up of a symphony Orchestra all played by a single person done on a few samplers so it wasnt to hard to track as it was all direct connected. The mix was more of a bitch trying to bring realisim to it.

The song falls into the religious genre :D. I like working with these artists as they have a lot of conviction in their work and surprisingly some of them sell quite well even though they arent general public-household names, even compared to well known artists.

Back