Is having a mic pre unit compulsary for vocal?

tribal

Hi, all, I know it's an irrational question, but I had make sure that I dont waste my hardearn money.. Currently I am using Rode NT1A with Tascam FW1884, the sound is very clean but the vocal track doesn't have power over other instrumental tracks in the mix. I loves music from 90's era so that's mean I want to add warmth/coloring sound for my vocal track. For what it worth these are some of the pres I think about:

(1) Golden Age Project PRE-73 Mic Preamp for $425
(2) PRESONUS BLUETUBE DP TWO CHANNEL MIC PRE-AMP for $299
(3) Studio Projects "VTB-1" - TUBE/SOLID STATE MIC PRE/D.I for $199
(4) Joe Meek Q MIC PRE/DI/EQ/COMPR​ESSOR for $750
(5) ART TPS II - Two Channel High Performance Preamps for $349
(6) ART VoiceChannel for $700
(7) others (price ranges under AU $1000)

Please give me some input for me to get what I suppose buy for my goal. Thanks V

Last edited:
Mics need preamps...your Tascam FW1884 has built in preamps...which is why you are able to plug a mic into it.

Of all the preamps you mentioned...not sure which one will be a whole lot "better" or "warmer" than what you already have.

You may want to check out stuff made right there in Australia...by Sebatron.
Great preamp....split tube/SS design. I have a 4-channel, but you can get single or two channel units for around $1000.

AFA the vocal not having enough "power" over the other tracks...that may be how you are mixing all the tracks, not just the preamp.

Another inexpensive but "colorful" preamp is the ART Gold MPA.
Can be had for like $250-$300 on eBay.

I just did a shoot out with my Korg stand alone and every preamp I own.
Korg with no added preamps won, hands down.
Very often, depending on what you own and how you use it, adding another device to your signal chain is just adding noise.

Thanks, guys, apprecited it, I just googling around and I think I will set my mind on golden age or Joe meek? BTW I couldnt find Art Gold MPA on ebay ( sometimes I wish I live in the States because of ebay, u have such a big market :P), it didnt have much of positive reviews from the buyers.... I like to add another one which is Toft Audio ATC-2 Dual Mic Pre for $700? what do you guys think about this one? Thanks V

Thanks, Jim, I think I m becoming materialistic and I might follow your idea about that. The idea is having more control over my vocal track. I just thought that stripping vocal from the hardware would much better than my vst software.

The GA73 may be to new to find on e-bay. Just to purchase one new is a wait (2 weeks) for they are back ordered.
If you get the free magazine *tape op* they did a micpre shoot out that was informative in their last issue. they liked an other micpre the *Chameleon* just the same as the GA but with a EQ section but at twice the price.

:cool:

I echo what Jim and Miroslav said. A better preamp will not make a better mix. The best advice I would give is to learn to use what you have. Sounds like you need to play with and learn more about mixing your vocals, specifically level, eq and compression.

There is no reason why you can't get good vocals that sit in the mix well right from your Tascam.

Better gear is always good. But I think you would be disappointed in this case, because it would not make a noticable difference until you can work with the level,eq and compression first.

I echo what Jim and Miroslav said. A better preamp will not make a better mix. The best advice I would give is to learn to use what you have. Sounds like you need to play with and learn more about mixing your vocals, specifically level, eq and compression.

There is no reason why you can't get good vocals that sit in the mix well right from your Tascam.

Better gear is always good. But I think you would be disappointed in this case, because it would not make a noticable difference until you can work with the level,eq and compression first.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I only bought an actual preamp a few years back out of curiosity. I'd always used the on board one on the Tascam 488 and it always did and still does the job.

Yeah, I think I'll save up for now see how I go, thank you all for the advice. I'll wait and see the GA pre an ebay for a bargain. Thank you all

I've heard good things about the electro-harmonix mic pre. I'm going to be buying one soon and I'll try to post some sound samples.

Find some way with EQ, Reverb, Compression, and other tricks to get the result you're after. Then find the gear that lowers your post workflow by doing most of that for you at the point of capture. Beyond that you have a mic and a mic pre. Getting more of the same isn't going to be that dramatic of a difference. Unless one or the other is not working right or otherwise broken. And/or just outright sucks.

Of what you listed, I would go with Golden Age Project PRE-73, but I would get a fully mod'ed one which you can buy at ZenPro Audio for around $600 USD.

Aside from the mic pre, a compressor can do wonders on your vocals so they can sit better in your mix. There are many post and members here that can help you out.

I love the sound of Joe Meek stuff, alot of color and the prices are very reasonable. The little 3Q can be had for about 150 used off ebay. Great deal IMO.

I have the 3Q. It is dark but not unpleasantly so.
I wouldn't mind getting the Golden Age either since I have their R1 MKII ribbon but what I really, really would like is a microphone that doesn't need any help.

Save your pennies for a bright, red budgie smuggler.
:)

Well that went over everyone's heads!

I got it Jim...

tribal - depends on how you define colour... and BTW, if you're Australian it's "colour" not "color" :D

I use a Mindprint Envoice channel strip for vocals - that gives plenty of options,as it has EQ, "tube saturation", compression and various filters but I also can only do this without adding extra noisy crap because I can bypass my unit's existing preamps.

You can do the same on your Tascam via the Insert socket I'm assuming it has by using a TS plug on a short unbalanced cable pushed into the first click... bit of a balancing act but it works.

Don't go from your new preamp (assuming you buy one) straight into the Tascam input or you'll have all sorts of gainstaging issues as you're then going through two preamps..

Where in Oz are you, and do you fancy the Mad Monk or the Orange Roughie in the upcoming election? :D

Cheers

Just a wee Tony Abbott thing going on there.
Had never heard of budgie smugglers until Monday.
Lived in Burwood, back in the Seventies (for four years) when it was the Western Suburbs.
Apparently it's grown so much that they call it Western Sydney now.
Ah well.

Last edited:
Back