Is Chorus Evil?

Is Chorus Evil?

• Chorus is evil. The use of chorus pedals should be banned forever.

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Chorus is a gift from God. Trust me guys, you're going to want more chorus on this.

Votes: 30 57.7%

• Total voters
Well I personally have no use for it. Chorus is usually used with too heavy a hand but can add a nice texture when used subtlely. To further illustrate my opinion..............

Roland Jazz Chorus 77. Smaller version of Jc-120. high and low input. volume, high treble, treble, middle, bass, reverb, TRUE STEREO CHORUS, 80 watts (40 watts per speaker STEREO!!)2x10" speakers, distortion effect, Stereo or mono line out, footwitch jacks for reverb distortion and chorus. Great amp for traditional country, jazz or running a guitar synth or digital effects through. SOLID STATE, durable, reliable. $350.00 or will trade for an Ampeg B100R or an Ampeg VT series combo. Local pickup in Baltimore only.
email or PM me
Benjie
Benjamin_loveless1@hotmail.com

Only posted this here because I thought it might be pertinent to the discussion.

Didn't the Guitar maestro himself - VanHalen- use a generous supply of Chorus? It polishes up those rough edges nicely.

Used sparingly chorus is an excellent tool for introducing subtle motion and tonal shading in the right contexts. I use it *FREQUENTLY* but in a way that you can't tell there is chorus going on... it's that extra 2% richness on a sound that I want to be more spacious, fatter or more predominant in a mix.

I *LOVE* using chorus on analog synths. I rarely record my Prophet 5 without first going thru a Roland CE300 rack chorus.

Anyone who thinks chorus is "evil" should check out a few Chameleons albums, they had two guitarists that never switched theirs off. Great band though. I've got a Boss Chorus Ensemble and I think it's a nice effect that can brighten up a dull sounding guitar and thin it out a bit too to make it stand out better in the mix.

Ahh...the mighty Chameleons. A superb band.

I'd hedge my bets here, though. Chorus is ace on single-note riffs or nice arpeggios, but sounds cack on strummed chords. Marvellous on Peter Hook's bass, too...

Last edited:
it can be good, but it's used far more often for evil than good.

my vote

evil

maby we could just make it a regulated substance?
you know, after 6 years of tone experence you could get a chorus effect for a probationary peroid of about a year. if you don't do anything stupid with it in that time, you get to keep it. :D

Phildo said:
Ahh...the mighty Chameleons. A superb band.

I'd hedge my bets here, though. Chorus is ace on single-note riffs or nice arpeggios, but sounds cack on strummed chords. Marvellous on Peter Hook's bass, too...

Agreed.

One cool way of getting a natural chorus effect is to record the same guitar part twice and pan one to the left and the other to the right of the stereo field. I remember reading somewhere that chorus pedals were invented to reproduce that effect, so it's sort of natural anyway.

Bah! I use 'em all the time, agressively and without shame, along with wah, synthwah, fuzz, envelope filters and echos! All on bass. I love it!

Hell yeah on bass! Chorus is cool when it's not overused. I love trying to create the weirdest possible sounds with a bass guitar. Some people just can't appreciate that. Then again, I'm not in the Marshall Full Stack Club. I'm just joking please don't ban me or never answer my questions seriously. Really, I'm scared. I have heard legend and rumor of a man-thing called Walters and that he serves as an example. I heard HE is evil.

Yeah - Chameleons were one of the best postpunk bands ever. Great guitars - great songs. I think chorus goes with certain rigs better. If I am correct, I believe the Chameleons used AC-30s - or something similar to the British 2X12 combo. Always been a favorite sound of mine. That and Wayne Hussey during the Sisters of Mercy days and some of the Mission. The days when guitarist were really creative without being cock rock douchebags.

depends on the type of sound wether vhorus will benifit anyone, take the band carcass for instance, chorus is a must for their sound.just all depends on the type of sound that you are going for.

mandocaster said:
This is embarassing, but I like an almost inaudible splash of chorus on some voices

I was working on a mix for a heavy rock band recently, and we just couldn't get that singer to set in the track right. I brought in a pretty snazzy chorus from Nuendo's "choirus" effect and blammo...there it was! The band member that was there mixing with me got immediate full on wood and it was just perfect for the song.

Just a little is all it takes sometimes, but it put that vocal right and drew attention to it in a good way. You could not tell it was effected, but you noticed it was gone when I muted the effect send.

War

Back