Is Chorus Evil?

Is Chorus Evil?

• Chorus is evil. The use of chorus pedals should be banned forever.

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Chorus is a gift from God. Trust me guys, you're going to want more chorus on this.

Votes: 30 57.7%

• Total voters

ROblows

Is chorus, as an effect, evil or is it a gift from God? I personally submit that the use of chorus pedals should be banned. I mean, come on, it's not 1986 here. Let's all move on and forward. How about some nice tremolo or a touch of reverb tasefully applied? Is there any sound in the world worse than an acoustic guitar with a cheap piezo pickup recorded direct? Yes, there is one sound worse - an acoustic guitar with a cheap piezo pickup recorded direct together with a generous helping of chorus.

ROblows said:
Is there any sound in the world worse than an acoustic guitar with a cheap piezo pickup recorded direct? Yes, there is one sound worse - an acoustic guitar with a cheap piezo pickup recorded direct together with a generous helping of chorus.

Well said, I find this very sound nauseating. I also hate it when people do this live, which I've heard all too often.

I vote evil, but to each his own I suppose.

My personal favorite use for chorus is to add a thick chorus to an acoustic guitar, send it to a long hall reverb, and put chorus on that, too.

More seriously, chorus is really cool when used in moderation. I tend to think of it more as a send effect than an insert, or at least an insert with a low mix value. The chorused reverb thing (with short or gated reverbs) is actually kinda cool-funky-weird on certain vocal lines. A subtle chorus also pops a melodic bass solo right to the front of a mix...

Its not evil, its just used as a WMD way too often.

-C

I agree about chorus although I have to stick up for flange as John Squire used it copiously on the first Stone Roses album.

i never had good results with chorus,
put it on guitar, vocals, hihats, nope, doesn't work for me

but didn't nirvana have great results with it?

Some chorus on bass for a fat, spongy sound with distorted rock'n'roll guitar often sounds pretty good to me, especially with "power trio" setup where the bass can drive the tune.

Daav

Chorus is evil in most of my applications. If it is used, then it is usually at its minimal settings. However, if you need it as an effect, then use it...maybe for a few seconds on an entire album.

I've noticed that rhythm guitarists in rock cover bands tend to use a lot of chorus.

It always sounds like ass.

I always liked it on the Police tunes. And I always liked the Ibanez Chorus stompbox on my nylon string guitar. But I've tried recording with it recently and discovered it introduces too much noise into the signal. Now I prefer to double track nylon string guitar.

just like any effect id say it can have a spot. its wheh people start layering the holy hell out of it on every source it turns into a huge cheesy mess.

hhmm.... i think it "that effect is evil" can be said about any effect, anywhere, on anything, if its used badly. adding chorus, to me, is just adding an effect, and as long as it works, it sounds nice.

i quite like adding a touch after a distortion box. gives it that extra swirl, and stops it sounding quite as angry... if that makes Any sense at all :D :p

Andy.

Tastefully applied, it's cool. I dig the eighties jangly guitar sound a la Police or Rush circa GUP.

In the wrong hands it's a dangerous weapon. Hell, in the wrong hands a guitar is a dangerous weapon.

Back