Is bass modeling necessary?

I suggest you continue to record bass clean, and tweak it post to your ear's content. In my opinion, processing on the way in is reserved for situations where you know in advance you won't be able to get what you're after with single or multiple processing passes after the fact, compression being a prime contender. Once you have a solid feel for what your post options are, it will become second nature to lay the proper groundwork for recording without painting yourself into any corners you can't undo later.

Only compress bass to the player, his technique is key. Bad technique = more comp. Still a great explanation, by Jay Tee!

[h=2]"Is bass modeling necessary?"[/h]

No, it is not necessary.

Try recording your bass clean with zero bass, then adjust as necessary.

Your ears will tell you how much to cut or boost.

What's not to follow....turn the bass tone all the way down????
Turning a tone knob down would give you all bass, since tone knobs are generally high cut knobs.

Is that what you are saying, or are you talking about a bass with active EQ and advising turning down the low end?

Using a good preamp/DI should be all you really need for a good, clean bass sound. Some tube preamps add a good bit of compression too at the right settings, which might serve your sound well too.
As has mostly been said, it just depends on the sound you want. I think it's important to remember a great bass sound can still be obtained "straight in" and clean as opposed to modeled. Good luck.

My absolute favorite tool for bass is iZotope Trash 2. I think they did a poor job marketing this plugin as they pushed it to be merely an over the top sound designer tool, but it's so much more than that. Typically I use the multiband distortion and put some grit on the midrange while leaving the low end clean and clear. Then I run that through the impulse module where it hits a bass cab, then I compress the living shit out of it. That's what I do to suit my tastes, YMMV. I highly recommend checking out the Trash 2 demo and seeing what you can come up with.

Back