Interesting solos without speed

Years ago I used to play in concerts on the bill with some very fast and famous guitarists I won't name drop becaue it is pointless but you all have heard of them. I drove myself nuts practicing 18 hours a day between gigs, rehersals and personal study, getting as fast as they were (and are) and I did achieve that goal. ( Along with the nervous breakdown and resulting therapy ....not a joke.) One day I realized that the people I was playing for were more about the technical end of it than the music. So I started jerking chains. I started playing avant garde music, free form... and most of it was real crap, pointlessly fast, on purpose, to prove a point. Most of the people that are impressed with this wouldn't know good music if it walked up and bit them on the ass. As a result I picked up over 40 students who all wanted to learn to play that crap ..... in the process I was actually able to teach some of them what music really is beyond the chromatic and whole tone, and whole tone diminished scales.

I am not anti speed when it has a purpose beyond the wow factor and it has artistic and musical purpose.

These days I can't play that fast, but I am aware of the potential of the instrument beyond the noise factor and a hell of a lot more musical.

Music, like life must have ballance or it breaks down like I did.

Most of the music I listen to isn't even guitar music ..... but...

check out Kenny Burrel anyway.

One other thing ... find a shreder hand him or her and acoustical guitar ... then ask them to "shred". You will then know what they really can play.

Amen

One other thing ... find a shreder hand him or her and acoustical guitar ... then ask them to "shred". You will then know what they really can play.

Solos are the boogers of music. Once you pick them they are hard to flick off your finger. I eat my solos.

Me and Henry

What the fuck are you on about.
Hey! Lighten up on Henry. Zach's got some good hillbilly pickin. He should keep workin that schtick and weave it into his metal. Meanwhile let's not forget it is all about chicks and free beer. I played in a band called "Freebeer".

Hey! Lighten up on Henry. Zach's got some good hillbilly pickin. He should keep workin that schtick and weave it into his metal. Meanwhile let's not forget it is all about chicks and free beer. I played in a band called "Freebeer".

Haha, I had a mate in a band called Thunderbrew, so :D

As he'd refer to it, "beer metal" :cool:

OK, this shredding thing has gone far enough. On the acoustic thing there was a time when this was considered pretty neat. What you have is a jazzer that thinks he's a rock god, a rocker who wants to be a cool jazz dude and a guy who knows his way round the frets harmonically, technically and emotionally whatever speed he decides to play at and all done on acoustics.

If you cant work out which is which here's the good guy.

Sorry couldn't resist.;)

De Je Vu

That video takes me back to my school days. Thanks for the refresher. Paco Flames! Think I'll break out the old Hernandis.

Tomorrow we're playin for free beer at "The Tap"

Some buds of mine were playing a gig, and the club who was throwing the shindig forgot to include the name of the band on the flyer. They did have the word "KEGS!!" really big on the bottom of it, so for that one gig, the band was called The Kegs.

Model 1. It was a student model. My father gave it to me in '72, used it for recitals till my buddy hand built my concert guitar which my girlfriend sold when I couldn't pay back the money she loaned me. I'm surprised I can still play Malaguenia.

Model 1. It was a student model. My father gave it to me in '72, used it for recitals till my buddy hand built my concert guitar which my girlfriend sold when I couldn't pay back the money she loaned me. I'm surprised I can still play Malaguenia.

Right, now tell me which video? :D

OK, this shredding thing has gone far enough. On the acoustic thing there was a time when this was considered pretty neat. What you have is a jazzer that thinks he's a rock god, a rocker who wants to be a cool jazz dude and a guy who knows his way round the frets harmonically, technically and emotionally whatever speed he decides to play at and all done on acoustics.

If you cant work out which is which here's the good guy.

Sorry couldn't resist.;)

... and you know why I had a nervous break down. Knowing that one of these guys is walking on the stage as you are walkin' off. ...and why I couldn't take that other clip seriously.

I've never been a huge Floyd fan, but both solos in "Comfortably Numb" give me chills. Especially when he really blares out those pinch harmonics at the beginning of the second one.

And yes, I know I'm a bit late to the party. I saw the few comments about "The Wall" on page 1 and had to add my 2 cents.

I've never been a huge Floyd fan, but both solos in "Comfortably Numb" give me chills. Especially when he really blares out those pinch harmonics at the beginning of the second one.

And yes, I know I'm a bit late to the party. I saw the few comments about "The Wall" on page 1 and had to add my 2 cents.

You're right on. I just heard Comfortably Numb on the radio driving home from work today, and it made me think of this thread.

Back