inexpensive bass traps

JTC111

Is there a good online source for inexpensive, yet effective, bass traps (in the U.S.)? Or perhaps some kind of portable wrap around panels to kill some of the room noise? I don't have the time to make anything.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of inexpensive. Foam bass traps aren't too bad, but they also aren't the best ones out there. check out auralex or something like that first.

JTC

If you'd like to submit a sketch, your budget, etc., I'd be happy to take a look and make recommendations as to what would be the best bang for the buck for your needs.

Bryan

Inexpensive = cheapest product that works well

Anyone know anything about GIK Acoustics? Good? Bad?

I'm doing a studio buildout later this year and plan on using GIK panels. And while I'm still in concrete and 2x4's, I went ahead ordered a bunch (about a dozen) of GIK panels and use them as "portables" to treat my space.

I'll put a scattered stonehenge around the drum kit. Or a pair in front and behind of me when recording acoustic. Then I'll use 'em to treat around and behind my monitors when mixing.

I bought an assortment of broadband and bass traps, and when I finish the room, I'll be buying more (including the tri traps for corners) and then mount them for real. (I'll probably keep a couple portable to use as gobos).

The bottom line is that they work great. I love em even in the half-baked way I'm using them. Can't wait to finish the studio and put them to optimal use.

Okay, here's a couple tunes that were recorded and mixed using my "portable" GIK panels. I picked some drum & acoustic oriented tracks, since they benefit most from treatment. I did use the panels for vox too, but I was using an SM7b instead of a condensor--and the SM7b is more naturally isolated to begin with. (Although there's a break near the end of the second song with a "group sing" and handclaps--these were recorded with LDC's).

Keep in mind: these were recorded in an unifinished basement. I think my mic choices & mic placements helped a lot, but I'm pretty sure I could've never gotten this sound without the panels.

The first one is me on all guitars & my son in law on drums. The second one is a band I recorded.

(No I don't work for GIK. :D I'm just a firm believer in decent treatment--and my GIK panels fit the bill!)

ATS Acoustics is what we used for both our theater and studio. In particular the Roxel Rockboard under the DIY Materials link because both of us are really picky about the color and wrapped them in an inexpensive burlap I picked up from the fabric store. It only took at max an hour, I believe, to wrap 8 traps using the spray adhesive sold on their site.

JTC

If you'd like to submit a sketch, your budget, etc., I'd be happy to take a look and make recommendations as to what would be the best bang for the buck for your needs.

Bryan

Bryan,
Thanks much. I gave a call to GIK and spoke with Frank and we came up with a plan and I put in an order.
Jim

Keep in mind: these were recorded in an unifinished basement. I think my mic choices & mic placements helped a lot, but I'm pretty sure I could've never gotten this sound without the panels.

The first one is me on all guitars & my son in law on drums. The second one is a band I recorded.

(No I don't work for GIK. :D I'm just a firm believer in decent treatment--and my GIK panels fit the bill!)

Holy Crap Stratman, Color Me Gone is very sweet. I think your guitar is sitting a little low in the mix (don't be so shy) but it's nice and tastey, and the drums kick ass. He knows how to work those sticks.

I ordered 4 244s and 3 242s for my room. Ugh, I've spent so much this week.

Holy Crap Stratman, Color Me Gone is very sweet. I think your guitar is sitting a little low in the mix (don't be so shy) but it's nice and tastey, and the drums kick ass. He knows how to work those sticks.

I ordered 4 244s and 3 242s for my room. Ugh, I've spent so much this week.

Thanks man! Color me gone was all about the drums, so I was very focused on them--that may be why the guits are down a bit in the mix. It was the first time I ever tracked with real drums. I've got a kit, but don't play--and when I thought I had read & researched enough (and got the right mics) I asked Josh to come over and play for a while. He played by himself, just messing around with a few different beats & I added the guits the next day.

He was just my daughter's fiance then--now he's in the family. I see recording sessions at get togethers over the holidays!

Thanks man! Color me gone was all about the drums, so I was very focused on them--that may be why the guits are down a bit in the mix. It was the first time I ever tracked with real drums. I've got a kit, but don't play--and when I thought I had read & researched enough (and got the right mics) I asked Josh to come over and play for a while. He played by himself, just messing around with a few different beats & I added the guits the next day.

He was just my daughter's fiance then--now he's in the family. I see recording sessions at get togethers over the holidays!

Is he a working drummer or just someone messing around? If he's not out playing, he's pretty good for someone who's just having a little fun.

hehe...i'm sitting here typing on my laptop as I'm backing up the entire C drive from my desktop onto a new 1tb external drive I got today and when I went to submit this post, I grabbed the mouse and I couldn't get the cursor to move. I start getting pissed thinking my laptop was screwed up but the mouse is for the desktop. Multitasking is so far above my head it's ridiculous. :o

My new traps should arrive right around the same time as my new Mac Pro and Digi 003 system arrive.... I hate waiting.... the next week and a half are gonna feel like a prison sentence (no butt sex jokes, okay?).

Grrrrr... I keep reaching for the damn mouse!

Is he a working drummer or just someone messing around? If he's not out playing, he's pretty good for someone who's just having a little fun.

hehe...i'm sitting here typing on my laptop as I'm backing up the entire C drive from my desktop onto a new 1tb external drive I got today and when I went to submit this post, I grabbed the mouse and I couldn't get the cursor to move. I start getting pissed thinking my laptop was screwed up but the mouse is for the desktop. Multitasking is so far above my head it's ridiculous. :o

He doesn't play professionally, but he does play very seriously. He's played on a couple local/regional releases, and supplements his day job income with drum lessons. He stays fairly booked.

BTW--I can relate to your mouse issues--but for different reasons. My wife got me a nifty wireless keyboard & mouse for my Mac. It works great and I love it, but I'm a slob and I've often got stuff piled around the little receiver for the wireless. The keyboard has a wider "ray" and so I'll be typing and assume everything's fine--but then the mouse is dead.

After I curse and just before I throw it across the room, I always notice the pile of crap blocking the signal...

He doesn't play professionally, but he does play very seriously. He's played on a couple local/regional releases, and supplements his day job income with drum lessons. He stays fairly booked.

BTW--I can relate to your mouse issues--but for different reasons. My wife got me a nifty wireless keyboard & mouse for my Mac. It works great and I love it, but I'm a slob and I've often got stuff piled around the little receiver for the wireless. The keyboard has a wider "ray" and so I'll be typing and assume everything's fine--but then the mouse is dead.

After I curse and just before I throw it across the room, I always notice the pile of crap blocking the signal...

I hear those wireless mouses/mice are nice but they go through batteries faster than a 40-something woman with a dresser drawer full of toys. That's why I've steered clear of them; I don't want horny women breaking in to steal my batteries. :D

Meanwhile, my GIK order gets delivered on Tuesday. WOOHOO!

Hey WhiteStrat,

I also listened to "Color Me Gone". Pretty sweet sound on the kit. (and everything else too) Especially if it's the first time you've tracked drums. Do you think that the "Stonehenge" of GIK panels contributed to the sound you were getting from the kit?

Hey WhiteStrat,

I also listened to "Color Me Gone". Pretty sweet sound on the kit. (and everything else too) Especially if it's the first time you've tracked drums. Do you think that the "Stonehenge" of GIK panels contributed to the sound you were getting from the kit?

Thanks for the props. That was the second time I tracked drums; I'd done the same kit the night before. I analyzed the tracks and played with the mix, then adjusted the mics for another go 'round. This song was a result of that second go 'round.

Yeah, I'm certain the panels helped. I didn't track the drums without 'em, but I did hear them both ways--and there was a huge difference. The drum kit was set up without the panels when Josh came over. He sat down and started playing. When he saw me moving the panels, he thought he was in my way, so he abrubtly stopped. He jumped back on the kit as soon as I was done with the panels and I heard the difference right away.

And oops--I forgot to mention, I also hung two of the thicker panels (244's) as a cloud right over the kit. The ceiling is unfinished as well--just floor joists. You can hear that difference even without the stonehenge by just standing under the makeshift cloud and talking.

They definitely make a difference.

Thanks for the props.

Thanks for letting me know that GIK is a good product. The traps arrived yesterday and today. My brother gave me a hand and we got them all up tonight. And yeah, I know I need moulding around the door... someday, man, someday.

Attachments

• studiotraps01.jpg
    studiotraps01.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 144
  • studiotraps02.jpg
    studiotraps02.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 143
That looks great! (Didn't even notice the molding around the door--it's neverending isn't it?)

Any chance to track or mix yet? Wondering what kind of difference they make for you.

I've wondered if those off-white foam pads that are sold for mattress toppers would work. Seems to me it would. If so, you could roll 'em up and tie them and make cheap gobos??

Back