impulses and amp simulators

makariuss

hey guys im new in recording can anyone explain me if you really need this in your recording or how it works??
i have a line 6 toneport ux2 and i haven't tryied micing my amp , my recordings are all direct into it. ..

I've recorded plenty of amplifiers with IRs. I typically take a line from the effects loop out into a line in, then load IRs into something like Mellowmuse's IR1A (50 buck plugin). If you're doing this with a tube amp though, you need to keep a load on the speaker output, either with a load box, or simply keeping it plugged into a cabinet.

what i mean is what are impulses and amp simulator for???? cause all i know and the way i record is my line 6 toneport ux2 and the podfarm

what i mean is what are impulses and amp simulator for???? cause all i know and the way i record is my line 6 toneport ux2 and the podfarm

So you have been recording direct with amp simulators but you don't know what they are for?

:D

You're going to have to explain yourself a little better. We still don't know what you are really asking.

So you say you have a toneport that you record with (which is an amp simulator)...but then you ask what are impulses and amp simulators needed for....huh?
If you can be a little more clearer...somenone will have an answer for you.

Are you asking about the difference between a hardware sim (toneport) and software sims (plugs)...?
If that's what you are asking...there is NO difference (other than how each sounds to you), 'cuz it's all the same thing...they are digital simulations/models of real amp tones. Even your toneport has software inside it.

toneport is not an amp sim, its an audio interface...pod farm is the software it uses and has to be hosted on a PC

download pod farm from the Line 6 website, the toneport will act as a dongle so you can register it

Pod Farm does not allow cabinet impulses to be used within its software

you could use something free like Voxengos Bootex to host an IR (there are loads of free ones on the internet) and turn off the cabinet in pod farm, just drop the Bootex VST after pod farm in an audio channel

You can use the Toneport separately just as a DI and mic your outboard amps, download the asio drivers from the line 6 forum and insure that it is the audio interface chosen in your DAW...experiment with the buffer size to get the best compromise between latency and quality

Just for added clarification....so we don't get caught up in semantics. :)

From the Line 6 website:

The TonePort UX2 hardware interface is USB-powered and comes with Line 6 GearBox™ modeling software, which provides a must-have collection of 16 guitar and 5 bass amp/cab models, 29 stompbox and studio effects (up to 10 at once), and 6 models of high-end studio microphone preamps.

Bottom line...it's all modeling, so either/or...you end up in the same place....simulating real amps via digital software.

Still not sure what the OP is really asking....

Just for added clarification....so we don't get caught up in semantics. :)

From the Line 6 website:

Bottom line...it's all modeling, so either/or...you end up in the same place....simulating real amps via digital software.

Still not sure what the OP is really asking....

its not semantics, I have a toneport, it contains no software its just an audio interface...Pod Farm and/or gearbox is just modeling software included in the price but is not required for the Toneport to work.

you'd argue in an empty room, Im trying to help a n00b not correct you

cause the way i record it is using podfarm right?? and yeah im a noob, so i saw a video on youtube that uses an amp sim and in impulse, and i dont have any idea what are impulses but i t sounded badass

cause the way i record it is using podfarm right?? and yeah im a noob, so i saw a video on youtube that uses an amp sim and in impulse, and i dont have any idea what are impulses but i t sounded badass

you can use it with pod farm/gearbox and any other amp sim...or use it to mic up an outboard amp, like I said its only an audio interface in that regard.

But you can only use pod farm/gearbox with it attached to your PC, they wont run with any other interface unless the toneport is attached...

Pod farm is good, some people prefer gearboxes interface as its simpler....there are better software amps out there, including pod farm 2 but it covers most of the bases...

The vocal preamp software is very good and part of the reason I havent got rid of mine even though I dont use it as an audio interface any more...in fact I bought another to use with my laptop

for a piece of gear on the cheaper end of the scale I like its quality :)

i just want someone to explain what are impulses and amp simulators,

??
really?

an amp simulator is just software than mimics an amp..period

it generally has FX and other tools included and allows to to swap and change cabinets etc till you get the sound youre looking for

an impulse is an IR, an Impulse Response, which is the output of the system when an impulse is applied to the input...this can be captured so that the characteristics, of say a, 4x12 cabinet, can be replicated....IRs are also commonly used in IR Reverbs where the characteristic of the room or space are captured

If you want anymore detail you'll have to ask a forum scientist as thats as far as I can go with it lol

in regards to pod farm it doesnt matter..any IRs are written into the code of the software and changing the cabinets will change the IRs automatically

some amp sims, like Peaveys ReValver allow you to host your own...but really its not something to worry about in the beginning :)

its not semantics, I have a toneport, it contains no software its just an audio interface...Pod Farm and/or gearbox is just modeling software included in the price but is not required for the Toneport to work.

you'd argue in an empty room, Im trying to help a n00b not correct you

No one is trying to argue....not sure why you want to take it there...?

The point is that for the OP, his toneport setup is his *modeling setup*, and that's what he is currently using. It came WITH modeling capability. How the modeling that came with his toneport is implemented...is irrelevant, and really, that's the point I have been making...it's all digital simulation, I'm sure we can agree on that.
I'm not doubting your comments about the toneport hardware not needing the modeling software, but I don't think that point really clarified anything for the OP, as he is using the complete toneport setup with modeling to simulate amps...correct? :)

He obviously wanted to know the difference between his toneport modeling setup and pure plug-in impulses/amp sims which you've somewhat expalined to him.

...i haven't tried micing an amp while recording so the output of the recording sucks.

If you have the ability and decent mic/amp gear...give that a try too.
While your amp sim setup can get a lot of usable tones...there's a different flavor and more interactive experience when recording from an amp VS just playing through a pod or DI into a computer.

You might like it more.

Back