Improve this rack a lil

Phosphene

Horse Diaper
tax return time! Got about $1500 to spend. Been thinking about getting something new to help out vocals, guitars and bass. My stuff is relative to Ween in that I bounce around the music genres a little, but mostly use 72 Guild Jumbo and electric guitars, Roland XP-80. I use a shitty Boss DR-660 for drums, so it might be something worth upgrading. :D I use a roland 1880 (don't laugh), and I have a La-2A, 1176 plug-ins, as well as some OK effects. In my rack, I have:

ME-1NV
Sytek
Avalon 737
RNC
Apogee Rosetta

I have been looking at:

Meek VC1q
Toft ATC-2
Distressor
**Some kind of Vocal Processor (but I DONT care for making fake harmonies, but I'm sure there is something worth using out there, help me out)
**Something like "Discrete Drums" or some kind of drum program, even though I don't use a computer for recording.

any thoughts as to what might improve my set up giving it more diversity/FLAVOR (excluding mics, but if you want to know what I have, then ask)

yeah i'd love a distressor. other things to drool over might include an la-3a, hamptone tube optical compressor, a tfpro p-38, api lunchbox and pres.
maybe it's time to get a computer? if you grabbed a cheap one and a digital in card, you could start getting cheap software aps for drums, harmonies, etc.

TragikRemix said:
... or you could take $1000 and get a nice computer, and still have $500 to buy crack for kojdogg, when he comes over looking for work.
yes this would be a good plan. then i could steal the computer and sell it for 2 dollas of gearcrack :)

I can't give any suggestions but I would kill for a rack like that.

Have fun throwing your $1500 away on more gear. :D

kojdogg said:
yeah i'd love a distressor. other things to drool over might include an la-3a, hamptone tube optical compressor, a tfpro p-38, api lunchbox and pres.
maybe it's time to get a computer? if you grabbed a cheap one and a digital in card, you could start getting cheap software aps for drums, harmonies, etc.

havent heard of the hamptone or the tfpro, will do some digggggggging.

i am kinda attached to my 1880, though. :o :eek: :p HAA!!

tfpro is a ted fletcher stereo (not dual mono sadly) compressor with four modes that imitate classic compressors (i think the la-2a, 1176, the sc2 and something else); not digital models. has some buzz as a mastering compressor, but if it can do good jobs aping all those units, that's pretty damn good.
the hamptone is available as a diy kit or assembled for $1000. it may not be out quite yet actually. his pres have a very good reputation and his compressor is a new tube opto compressor offering

I was thinking...isn't the comp on the 737 optical? (doesn't do much for me, but it's useable)...

...so maybe the Meek Vc1Q being optical may be overkill, or maybe it will really be different enough to pursue?

You've already got a rack full of great gear.. You're asking people you don't know what to spend more money on..

AND YOU'RE USING A DRUM MACHINE??

Seriously, what good is a Great River, Avalon, Apogee converter, or a Distressor gonna do you when you're using synthesized drums??

I know what it's like, I'm in the same boat with not having a drummer on hand. (I'm assuming you don't if you're using a drum machine). But the whole point is: when an average joe listens to a recording you've made they're not going to say "hey those converters sound great", they're expexted to. They're going to say "sounds pretty good except the drums sound funny"

Not trying to give you a hard time my friend, but I'd say figure out the drum situation FIRST, then spend your money on toys. At least the drum part shouldn't be expensive..

I agree...i want the rack you have...lol
if your not using a computer and you plan on keeping the 1880, then i must recomend getting a computer and the only program made to control a roland....its called vs-pro made by datasonics and its not bad unless you like looking at a 4 inch screen

undermind said:
You've already got a rack full of great gear.. You're asking people you don't know what to spend more money on..

AND YOU'RE USING A DRUM MACHINE??

Ok, to clarify, I do have real drums...a Pearl export, but I have a good snare (Lugwig Supraphonic) and good cymbals (Zildjian K hats and ride). The drum machine is funny. I use it sparingly, but the joke gets really old sometimes. I do record songs with real drums sometimes, but it just takes me like a few days to nail the whole thing. I wouldn't mind getting some kind of drum loop thing going. I know, I should ask about that in the drum section. I can play drums to a certain degree, but am not fantastic enough to rely on myself.

chestwick91 said:
I agree...i want the rack you have...lol
if your not using a computer and you plan on keeping the 1880, then i must recommend getting a computer and the only program made to control a roland....its called vs-pro made by datasonics and its not bad unless you like looking at a 4 inch screen

I checked on VS-planet a long time ago and people said the VS....oh wait, it was VS Logic that was very buggy. 4" screens actually mezmorize me into making fantastic music, but I will look into it...thanks for the info.

Phosphene said:
Ok, to clarify, I do have real drums...a Pearl export, but I have a good snare (Lugwig Supraphonic) and good cymbals (Zildjian K hats and ride). The drum machine is funny. I use it sparingly, but the joke gets really old sometimes. I do record songs with real drums sometimes, but it just takes me like a few days to nail the whole thing. I wouldn't mind getting some kind of drum loop thing going. I know, I should ask about that in the drum section. I can play drums to a certain degree, but am not fantastic enough to rely on myself.
Cool, that makes sense. I'm in the same boat. But for me, just having real drums doesn't save me. I've put a lot of money this time into a FEW channels of excellent pre's and mic'ing drums isn't very realistic. The problem for me is that I can play like 2 beats. The rest I have to do in multiple tracks. So far I've been using loops on Acid. There are a ton of good loops out there, but it's challenging to make music that isn't too stiff using loops. I've also got DFH Superior, but I'm not too good programmin in midi.

Anyways, now that I've talked about me for awhile in a thread about you.. Good luck spending your money, I know this is probably a tough time for you.. With the tough decisions and all.. I'm doing the same thing; I was about to spring for a Lexicon pcm91 until this 2 channel racked v72 appeared before me. So I'm anxious to see what you get. Hopefully you get the distressor, I'd love to hear your comments on it vs the RNC after you've spent awhile playing with it.

The distressor is high up on my list, but I may get the Meek, try it out and sell it if I don't like it. The Toft is attractive because of the EQ and comp, could use it for drum overheads and whatever else. I tried one out a few years ago, and it was alright from what I remember, (esp the EQ) ....just a lil tricky on the comp part.

I'll keep yall posted on my money burning.

I was also kinda seeing if anyone would talk me out of the Meek VC1Q since I already had the Avalon 737. Same basic set up, but I know the comps are different, but maybe it was something the distressor would cover.

any thoughts?

OH! here's an idea...haha
anyone have any clips they could send me that are run through a Meek VC1Q?

Meek VC1q vs great river/Distressor

I'm sure they are different, but should I save my $400 Meek dollars and just put it towards the Distressor? I just have no way to actually try out the Meek, or I would.

Back