I'm constantly amazed at how bad GC service is...

kid klash

The original Mr. Nice Guy
It's my own darn fault too. Every time I buy something from them, I tell myself "never again", but I wind up going back for more. Seems like most of the stuff I buy from them is "special order" stuff that they don't have in stock. They're always ready to take my money, but NEVER make good on their promises to call me back "the next day" to tell me when the item will arrive. They usually screw up the order too, which adds more delays. I tell them that I want the item in a sealed box; they say "sure thing!"; the item comes in an open box with missing parts. SO Typical. :(

There was a little catalog from GC in my mailbox yesterday. I tossed it without even opening it.

All that place is good for is going in a fucking with all their shit. I usuallly spend an hour sampling their drums and guitars just to buy some sticks or picks. I'll only buy from them if I'm looking for a warranty on something, which I'm usually not :p

Wow, the GC by me always has what I want in stock, there were a few exceptions but they called and the order was correct and in a sealed box, maybe you should move to Cincinnati! :D ;)

I must be nuts

Carter said:
Wow, the GC by me always has what I want in stock, there were a few exceptions but they called and the order was correct and in a sealed box, maybe you should move to Cincinnati! :D ;)

You're lucky. I just called my local GC, and the salesflunky that "ordered" my special order item is late for work, and they can't find anything about my order :mad:

I ordered it last Friday too. Slow boat to China, here I come.

* mumbles "never again" to himself again*

The GC in Sherman Oaks, CA, is not too bad as far as service. It's always a madhouse in there, so sometimes you have to wait to get the service person you want. But otherwise they seem okay to me.

They don't really get paid all that much. (unless they are a top seller)
Even the top seller doesn't make much more than a mcdonalds assistant manager. (Used to work for GC)

So you'll forgive them if their motivation to learn Cubase in and out isn't quite what you need. RTFM!!

Yes! They know that you are smarter than they are. Thats why you are the one BUYING the gear they ARE WORKING TO BUY.

They have precious little opportunity in bigger stores to be more than a glorified register hound, so when there is a chance to study on gear, it puts you in overtime which A) cuts into your GP Comission and B) gets your hours cut next week which cuts into your GC comission.

So the next time your average GC rep is sucking dick for beer money. Remember that his heart is in the right place, but it is his job to at least TRY to fake the funk for you, or someonelse will lie more convinceingly. WHich cuts into hours, which cuts into GP Comission
(getting the picture yet?)

And lastly some are good sales folk with a passion. These will be the hardest to get to help because they are so busy with other people, and are often the top sellers in the store.

I buy virtually everything thru Musicians' Friend which is the catalog division of GC and I've always gotten great service although very often their packing leaves a lot to be desired ...... such as any packing materials ...... or being packed at all.

:D

But the two times I've gotten broke stuff they replaced it quickly and cheerfully.

I used them to buy my Firepod, at your siggestion i think.

No complaints on the service dept. Though the unit broke 2 days after, they were willing to take it back, and insteada worked a drug deal with Presonus (who I gather they have an insider with) to ship it there for my replacement.

Good company, would buy from again, has the "small town" feel of personal service over the phone! Ask for Mike.

I usually only buy in stock items. If I have to order it, I go to a web site that guarantees same day shipping (Zzounds, MF, Mercenary,etc.) I usually deal with the same guy and usually get 10-20% of the store price, not list which isn't real anyhow. Bought a GT Brick for $369 the other day. The cool thing about my area is that a Sam Ash is right across the road from GC. Competition is a cool thing! One good thing about Mercenary is that they double the warranty, and the price is only slightly higher if at all.

Track Rat said:
GC. The McDonalds of music.

Good analogy...Billions Served...you think that after serving that many burgers, the people flipping the round brown things and putting the red stuff and the yellow on the fluffy toasted thing ever forget that they're making someone's food?

You gotta think the same thing happens at GC. It's turned into a sales machine first and providing expert advice, quality musical instruments and tools available to musicians last.

No complaints about my California GC. I have my contact there, and we've developed a good working relationship during the past few years. As someone who once worked in music retail, I believe that it's hard to generalize about a particular chain of stores. There are great reps and shaky reps, and the key is to find a good one and develop that longer-term relationship.

My guy spent several hours, one afternoon last summer, pulling out guitars from the back room and letting me inspect and play them. I promised him a sale that day, and I followed through. In the end, his hustling earned him the whopping commision on a $169 Yamaha bass guitar. Poor guy, I didn't even buy a case. Still, he knows that I've bought more expensive stuff there and will again one day, too, and that I'll buy it from him. The relationship's the key for me.

J.

Is it just me or does nearly everying in the recording/live section seem like it has been openined before...Sketchy place. I always say no more, but I keep going back, I jsut never listen to what they tell me there. Always read the online reviews. I did get a pair of mopads for 30$ today though which is a good price.

I worked as a buyer for a digital video distributor for a while - and although I'm not going to defend GC (and I really hate Musician's Friend....), I do understand how a special order can get screwed up. People that make gear are often really crappy about getting orders done, or even calling you back in a day or two to tell you when they can ship an order. That's why they are willing to give GC a cut of the sale...GC worries about having stuff in stock and making the sales so the people who make the gear don't have to!

Well, it's after 9pm PDT Wednesday night, and the dickhead STILL hasn't called me back. I ordered it last Friday. It's not like I'm asking this guy any technical questions about something I might buy... hell, he doesn't have a clue about how to use the thing... I just want to know if it was ordered, and when it will arrive! Sheesh! For all you curious shoppers, this is at the Clackamas Oregon GC, in the pro audio section. I'll leave the flake nameless to protect his lazy ass.

I'm sorry that these guys at GC don't make easy money, and that they have to actually work for a living, but you know what? So do I.

I don't think I'm expecting too much, just to follow through on the commitment he made when he took my order and said he'd call me Tuesday morning to let me know where the item was coming from (another store, the main warehouse, or the manufacturer), and when he expects it will arrive. That's not asking too much, is it? :mad:

I finally got ahold of the dufus at GC today... I called the store and they put me through to him... he said he wasn't absolutely sure when the special order would arrive... maybe late next week.

I should have tried for a price match with MF... at least they've always had it together when I've called them in the past.

its pretty simple really. The gc's in california are usually pretty good seeing is how they are based out of ca originally ,correct me if I'm wrong. They don't pay well, they adapt a corperate mentality into every market they establish a store in, their employee turnaround is real high. If your area has a relatively small demographic as apposed to larger metropolitan cities they will definately stock less, have less skilled people to draw from as a work force. Not saying that is true everywhere but evryone I know who has ever worked for them, including people who still presently run several of there locations would say the same. Its pretty much a wallmart. On top of that commision salespersons aren't going to waist there time if there is no money to be made on a sale so if you require any special attention you probably will not be able to get it there. It has its uses if you need something.

Back