If you had to get just one mic....

tubbabubba22

If you had about 400 dollars to spend on one condenser mic for all purpose home recording demo microphone, what would it be? Just one mic to best record acoustic guitars, pianos, and vocals. let me know. thanks guys!

I love my STO-2's. But you'd need a good room and chain. I got mine for $450 used, shipping included.

There's a pattern here, actually a multi-pattern. I'm generally in agreement that if you get just one mic, and you want to use it for vocals and guitar, your best option is a large diaphragm, multi-pattern condenser mic. The standards of the industry are AKG C414, Shure KSM44, and Audio-Technica AT4050. Less expensive alternatives include CAD M179 and Studio Projects C-3. The most expensive is the AKG, which is also confusing, as it has been around longest, and has the most different versions. It is also my first choice. My recommendation would be the older, but not old enough to be pricey/vintage, C414B-ULS. The KSM44 would be my second choice, with the AT4050 third choice. All are perfectly good mics. The C414 is stellar on acoustic guitar, and a huge variety of other stuff. The new C414B-XLS and C414XLII (same mic tweaked slightly for vocals) is, in some ways the better mic, but is currently out of your budget, basically a $1000 new, and it hasn't been out long enough for used ones to be a lot cheaper. The good news is that the older B-ULS and TLII (same mic tweaked for vocals- you will note that is has a gold grill) are getting a little cheaper on the used market, and are in the upper limit of your price range if you get a little lucky. Assuming they aren't broken, the AKG, the Shure, or the Audio-Technica will get your job done, and you are unlikely to want to re-sell any of them anytime soon. Best of luck-Richie

PS- The Shure SM7b mentioned several times above, is a high-end dynamic mic designed for broadcasting, which is a versatile, and truly excellent mic, but it would not be my first choice for acoustic guitar or piano. It would probably be the second mic I would buy, after that multi-pattern condenser. Note that any of the mics above will require a preamp, mixer, or audio interface, and the condensers will require one that provides phantom power. If I am talking down to you, I apologize, but I read posts every day from folks asking the question you have asked, that think they can just plug a mic into a computer. You can't.-Richie

Rode NT1000. Not sure if they make it anymore, but I got one brand new for $300 about 5 years ago and got a second one used for $150. Awesome mike!

yeah, that ok. I do know how this all works. I already got a decent amount of gear just the one area i am lacking is really good mics. So i was just wondering what is a great condenser that i could get for around $500. So thanks so much for all of your responses so far. The more the better, so if anyone else has any ideas, feel free to post. Thanks so much

Richard's list is pretty much right on in this price bracket. We could quibble about the preference for one mic over another, but this list does cover the usual suspects for LD multi-pattern condensers. I'm less of a fan of the C414 myself, although the BULS model is pretty good for instruments (less so for vocals IMHO). I prefer the AT-4050 for all around duty. YMMV.

Just a note, the Rode NT1000 (yes, it's still made) and the KSM32 recommended above are also perfectly good mics, but one of the reasons I am recommending a multi-pattern mic is that the available omni pattern will be very useful if you are trying to record a piano with a single mic. A piano's sound board is *huge* compared to a human mouth, or a guitar, and no matter where you place a cardioid mic on a piano, one doesn't do it all that well, unless it is backed waaaay off. Then you start to get into room and ambient noise issues. If it was just vocals and guitar, I think they would be more useful recommendations, and I might be recommending a mic like Rode NTK or AT4040.-Richie

I wouldn't recommend recording a piano with a single mic anyway unless it's a stereo mic, and even then, only if it is a M-S mic where you can adjust the stereo width. Two mics is probably a better idea.

I agree that 2 or even 3 mics would be very good for recording piano. He asked about one mic, and it's very doable with a well placed omni. I would use 2 by preference also.-Richie

Back