Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer
AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2 Dual
Core Processor 5200+
2.61 GHz, 2.00 GB Ram

Buy a bit more RAM...I think XP can go up to 4GHz but somebody check me. Buy an external USB2 hard drive with a 7200 rpm spin. You should get both these for under $250.

Then put the money you've saved in a plain brown envelope and send it to....

Seriously, you WILL eventually need an upgrade but wait until lag on the system tells you to change then think carefully about where you need to go.

I really like the system I have. It does everything I need it to do. I just don't think it will run Cubase 7.5 and if I want to run the new cubase I'll have to do something. I guess I'll be looking into a new version of Windows.

I don't know why I would need an external USB2 hard drive. I have plenty of usb ports and I run firewire from my converters. My 2 250 gig hard drives seem to handle everything just fine and they spin at 7200 rpm.

Last edited:
THEN FUCKING DO IT!!!! Buy a $6000 Mac and spend the next 3 years trying to make it work Buy a $2000 PC and spend the next 3 years trying to make it work. Find out what the fuck you're talking about. You want to upgrade to Cubase 7? Try mastering Audacity first. You're getting way over your head.

No, that's why I want to upgrade!

I won't comment on the OS. I am biased and it shows like hell. But, on the hardware, Quad Core chip, minimum (since you are upgrading). If you go Apple, then Intel based is all you can do (Do they still use RISC?). If you go MS, then you can go to a 6-8 core AMD chip. 7200 RPM hard drive, but the SSDs are really coming down. I saw one on Tiger or Amazon, 240GB for like $140. You can go single 240GB SSD and use a 2 TB HD as your storage drive. Some folks split the OS and the storage, you might get some performance kick, but at this level, probably not that noticeable. * gigs of RAM, decent 1GB Video card, if you want to go firewire and an MS OS based computer, you might want to grab a Firewire card. Lots of options, but USB works well for the majority of us, me I went PCI, sooo, there are your options.

If you do spec it out yourself and build your own, don't get a cheap Motherboard. That is the guts of it all, you stability, performance all run through that part and is important. Get a 750+ watt power supply, a good one.

In an MS based computer, what I have listed still is under $1000 even when you add in the OS (don't get OEM version).

I really like the system I have. It does everything I need it to do. I just don't think it will run Cubase 7.5 and if I want to run the new cubase I'll have to do something. I guess I'll be looking into a new version of Windows.

I don't know why I would need an external USB2 hard drive. I have plenty of usb ports and I run firewire from my converters. My 2 250 gig hard drives seem to handle everything just fine and they spin at 7200 rpm.

If you've got lots of HDD space left then drop that suggestion...but disk space if you do a lot of recording seems to run out before anything else for me (and, out of paranoia, I like to have a copy of everything I do off the computer in a separate room too). Up to you.

The spec somebody published says you CAN run the new Cubase you want. Try it and see how you get on. If too slow, then consider a new computer--you won't have lost anything by trying it first.

THEN FUCKING DO IT!!!! Buy a $6000 Mac and spend the next 3 years trying to make it work Buy a $2000 PC and spend the next 3 years trying to make it work. Find out what the fuck you're talking about. You want to upgrade to Cubase 7? Try mastering Audacity first. You're getting way over your head.

I'm not sure where the hostility is coming from. I've been using Cubase 4 since 2008. I don't know why you would think I would be lost with a new version, unless your saying that the new Cubase 7.5 just won't work on any platform.

DM 60, thanks, I will look into these options. But honestly, it seems like such a pain in the butt ,maybe I'll stick with what I have. I need to spend money in the studio for taxes and I thought maybe this would be a way to go. I think I'll be looking at hardware instead. :p

If you've got lots of HDD space left then drop that suggestion...but disk space if you do a lot of recording seems to run out before anything else for me (and, out of paranoia, I like to have a copy of everything I do off the computer in a separate room too). Up to you.

The spec somebody published says you CAN run the new Cubase you want. Try it and see how you get on. If too slow, then consider a new computer--you won't have lost anything by trying it first.

I need to wait a minute before I post. I seem to be one or 2 posts behind.......SORRY!!!

I do need a bootable clone for sure!!!

Why not the OEM version?

Mainly if you change the CPU or motherboard you have to reauthorize it, I've not heard of them not doing it, but it is something to be aware of. If you switch your HD to another computer, could cause problems. That sort of thing.

I'm not sure where the hostility is coming from. I've been using Cubase 4 since 2008. I don't know why you would think I would be lost with a new version, unless your saying that the new Cubase 7.5 just won't work on any platform.

DM 60, thanks, I will look into these options. But honestly, it seems like such a pain in the butt ,maybe I'll stick with what I have. I need to spend money in the studio for taxes and I thought maybe this would be a way to go. I think I'll be looking at hardware instead. :p

Tom, you can buy an off the shelf as well. Specs are the same. Whether MS or Apple, it is pretty straight forward except for Windows hardware, they usually don't have Firewire (1394 is another term used). You would have to get a card, but otherwise, an off the shelf would work as well.

Hey bigtom, based on what you have posted up, your system looks like it meets the bare minimum for C7.5. As someone else suggested, if your mobo is able to take 4GB of RAM, that would be a very cheap, yet very noticeable upgrade for your system. Your RAM is definitely a bottleneck for your system. You can get 4GB for probably around $100 max and while I think win XP only registers 3.2GB of it or something like that you are talking a pretty big increase from the 2GB you have now. There are lots of youtube vids on how to install it. If you are happy with your system as is, I would recommend doing this first. It is a small investment to make on the chance that you can keep what you have and run 7.5 to your satisfaction.

the ability to upgrade them yourself is greatly diminished.

This is not an accurate statement for any mac computer.

Actually I genuinely wonder who on earth came up with this. Were macs a pain in the ass back in the day or something? Are people afraid of screw drivers? I've only been on mac since the G4 so I'm not old school by any means.

Actually RAM and HD upgrades on the pro stuff is the most user friendly shit on the planet. I would be heavily impressed if there was a PC that did it better.

Last edited:
It's not hostility, it's frustration. It took 3 pages of posts to find out what hardware you had, what OS you had, and then you say that if you want to run Cubase7, you'll have to look into a new version of Windows. Why do you think that if your current computer won't run the latest Cubase, it will run the latest Windows? By the way, paying your taxes is always a good idea.

I've been some of bigtom's previous posts. He's got to be dicking with us.

Honestly, I'm not. When it comes to computers, I'm lost. When I bought my current setup I did a lot of research and bought what I thought would work best Cubase 4. I asked questions here and read as much as I could. That was over 5 years ago and it seems a lot has changed. I don't remember much at all of what I learned back then, but I've learned how to use Cubase 4 and I'm happy with my results. There are new versions of Windows and new versions of OS for the macs and I don't know any thing about any of them.

I would like to upgrade to the new Cubase 7.5 and from what I've seen on their website, I would have to upgrade to a new computer to have it run properly and be a stable platform. I wasn't even thinking of trying to just upgrade the system I have now. I couldn't understand why you would want to know what I have now when in plain english it says Cubase will only work on windows 7 or 8 and some version of a mac that I don't have.

I hope you can see my confusion. I don't mean to be a jerk or ungrateful for the info I have received. I was just looking for help.

Honestly, I'm not. When it comes to computers, I'm lost. When I bought my current setup I did a lot of research and bought what I thought would work best Cubase 4. I asked questions here and read as much as I could. That was over 5 years ago and it seems a lot has changed. I don't remember much at all of what I learned back then, but I've learned how to use Cubase 4 and I'm happy with my results. There are new versions of Windows and new versions of OS for the macs and I don't know any thing about any of them.

I would like to upgrade to the new Cubase 7.5 and from what I've seen on their website, I would have to upgrade to a new computer to have it run properly and be a stable platform. I wasn't even thinking of trying to just upgrade the system I have now. I couldn't understand why you would want to know what I have now when in plain english it says Cubase will only work on windows 7 or 8 and some version of a mac that I don't have.

I hope you can see my confusion. I don't mean to be a jerk or ungrateful for the info I have received. I was just looking for help.

Actually, Cubase 7 is only 'supported' for Windows 7 and 8. That does not mean it won't work with other versions necessarily. Microsoft doesn't even support XP anymore as far as I know, but it still works for many. It may just be time to move forward anyway.

I would suggest just upgrading to Cubase 7.5 and see if it works. If not, then spend the money where needed.

Back